Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 @ Maryland Live - Flopped joint - line check

ANason21ANason21 Posts: 166Subscriber
Villain sat down at the table a short while ago. Effective stack $500. Little history with Hero. Seems to be a solid, thinking player in his thirties. MP1 in this hand is an older asian gentleman who has been very splashy and very talkative and drinking Heineken. Hero has a very good image. Has been abusing Mr. Heineken and is almost 700 BB deep.

Hero has 9 T on the button. V raises to $25 from UTG+1. MP1 calls, Hero calls, and SB calls. Pot is $100.

Flop: 7 8 J

V bets $50. MP1 folds. Hero raises to $150. SB folds, and V calls.

Turn 7

V checks. Hero checks.

River 2

V bets $210. Hero?

Please also give your thoughts on the turn check. Looking at it with fresh eyes, I think bet-folding is a lot better. V's range should be weighted towards AJ, JJ, and over pairs, and I think there is definitely value to be had from the hands we beat in V's range.

Comments

• ClockClock Posts: 1,097Subscriber
    edited June 2015
    pre is good.
    flop is good.
    vs a thinking, solid player, bet 150 on turn into 400 (bet - call off shove)
    Shove remaining 200 into pot of 700 on any river.

as played - shove river.

Basically he's more likely to have QQ+, than JJ, so we never folding here.
    by 1Floyd
  • High__Rolla Posts: 765Subscriber
    OTT, there is $400 in the pot and $325 effective left. I don't see a reason to get cute, so I would just shove. If a card 8-J comes on the river, it may scare an overpair.

As played, shove. I don't think he will fold for $115 more. You only lose to JJ, 88, 77, and 87s. That's 9 combos, and there are 18 combos of overpairs.
  • ANason21ANason21 Posts: 166Subscriber
    Clock said:
    pre is good.
    flop is good.
    vs a thinking, solid player, bet 150 on turn into 400 (bet - call off shove)
    Shove remaining 200 into pot of 700 on any river.

as played - shove river.

Basically he's more likely to have QQ+, than JJ, so we never folding here.
    You wouldn't be thinking that he'd call down with an overpair but shove with a boat?
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,097Subscriber
    Pretty wet board.
    Turn pairs board so he even beats top 2 now.
    Stacks are too short so I think a good player can easily shove OP here.

If he did go for check/call or c/shove on turn good player never checking river with OP cause he would expect u to check behind with Jx etc and he loses value.
  • HavaxHavax Posts: 65Subscriber
    edited June 2015
    Ha! I know EXACTLY who you are talking about. Me and my buddies actually have nicknamed him "Heineken" - he's fantastic for the game. This is a dream scenario vs him. Bet turn and fist pump/order champagne if he check-raises turn.

Edit: I hate slow playing but he's one of the rare aggrotards that it could work against as he loves to attack any sign of weakness. I'd much rather just fast play though because he's just as much a station as he is an attacker of what he perceives to be weakness.
    by 1Mike D.
  • ANason21ANason21 Posts: 166Subscriber
    Havax said:
    Ha! I know EXACTLY who you are talking about. Me and my buddies actually have nicknamed him "Heineken" - he's fantastic for the game. This is a dream scenario vs him. Bet turn and fist pump/order champagne if he check-raises turn.

Edit: I hate slow playing but he's one of the rare aggrotards that it could work against as he loves to attack any sign of weakness. I'd much rather just fast play though because he's just as much a station as he is an attacker of what he perceives to be weakness.
    Heineken actually folded that hand on the flop, and V in the hand was a pretty solid player, but yeah, the game was amazing. I played for 4 hours and left 2.2k ahead. Not a bad night.

• TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
    I GII here, there are 3x as many overpairs he could take this line with than sets/quads. Not to mention if he's spazzing with Jx, we lose a ton by not moving in and having him have to sigh-call off his remaining $110. He'll be getting something like 9-1 on his money (Reverse pot odds FTW!).