Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 Maryland Live Limping phenomenon

So I made my first trip to MDL and Shoe. Been here about a week...

The 2/5 game here is really soft yet plays very strange imo. There is more limping than I've ever seen. Was having a little trouble adapting to it as I found out even the "competent" winners here elect to limp with hands as strong as QQ AK or JJ.

My question is what should my ISO range be when I am in late or middle position against these limpers?

I was isoing hands like KQ and 88 but have found myself in some tough spots when I get limped calls from 5+ ppl.

Also should I be limping behind with a certain range?

Comments

• uWannaChop Posts: 37Subscriber
    Also what should my ISO sizing be..I've been sizing from 25-35 should I be going even bigger??

The 2/5 is 500 max.
  • Floyd Posts: 160Subscriber
    Your range sounds fine. A limp calling table I find is a patients game and when raising just do it for value. No point trying to get players to fold when they are all likely calling. Your just bloating the pot with out great hands and have no idea where you're at with so many callers.
  • Floyd Posts: 160Subscriber
    Sizing sounds good aswell although with 3 limpers I'd want to be raising $30+ just for value. You'll get called
  • StarwarsJediMasterStarwarsJediMaster Posts: 741Subscriber
    I would just be iso raising a customized range vs villians limping ranges. Keep your eyes peeled and really zone in on each players limping percentage. Higher their percentage the thinner the value iso raise is going to be. The less the percentage the tighter iam going to iso ,and stack sizes obviously play a huge part. The more a villian is limping in the wider the value range iam iso-ing. 88-Kq sounds good vs weak limps i think you can go bigger pre. Just go pot pre. Most of the limp callers are degens and have problems with not seeing a flop, they obviously have a gambling problem and play poker like a slot machine especially pre and the flop.
  • ANason21ANason21 Posts: 166Subscriber
    As with everything in poker, it really depends. What are the stack sizes of the limpers? Are they limping from early position or middle position or late position? Do they typically limp-call, or limp-fold? If they limp-call, do they typically fold to a c-bet? Are the players left to act behind you strong or weak?

It's tough to answer these questions in a vacuum, but as a general rule on sizing, I prefer open-raising to $20 and adding $5 for each limper in the pot before me. So if I'm iso-ing 1 limper, it's $25, iso-ing 2 is $30, 3 is $35, etc.
    With deeper stacks iam limping behind with any hand i could make a nut straight, Axs 22-77 vs. Mulitable bad players . Button i add anything playable and suited with your skill advantage.
  • uWannaChop Posts: 37Subscriber
    What do u guys feel about limping Kx Qx suited in late position against these limpers to try to cooler them in flush pots?
  • FreeLunch Posts: 1,309Pro
    Question: Are they running high hand promotions? Ive seen in Florida where rooms are competing to get players with promotions, that many players are there just to win a high hand, or have shifted their strategy to include promotions. Its more important to them to see all 5 cards then it is to win a hand.

I ask because my approach is to understand not just the pattern and how to exploit it - I want to understand the psychology behind the pattern. For example, two players may act weak in the same situation - one because they are afraid of losing their stack, the other because they like to trap. Same behavior different psychology and different exploit.

Its possible that this is just part of the standard new room new player learning cycle as I have seen it a few years into other new rooms. Two things merge. Lots of more agro pros come in and start raising a lot more than they are used to, the pros win and the regs adjust by trying to become more trappy. Another factor is under rolled players who ran ok in the beginning but then run closer to their skill (bad) adjust by becoming more afraid of losing their money and they also start limping a lot and or isoing much larger with premiums.

Another thing I would want to know. How deep are the games playing and what kind of mistakes are people making post flop. I dont care if I make money pre pr post - Ill adjust to where the biggest mistakes are. If they are deep and make a lot of postfop mistakes then I will probably not have any iso range - my raises will be to build pots more than to thin the field.
  • ANason21ANason21 Posts: 166Subscriber
    uWannaChop said:
    What do u guys feel about limping Kx Qx suited in late position against these limpers to try to cooler them in flush pots?
    Dangerous. With a hand like KQs in a limped pot, top pair is really better than a flush. Generally, people won't limp AK, and likely not AQ, so if you have KQ and you make a pair on the flop, it's usually effectively top pair top kicker. But people limp Axs all the time. And as Bart says, there are exponentially more combos of Axs than there are of other suited cards. So even when you hit your flush with KQ, you don't know it's good and if someone gets aggressive, you're playing a guessing game.

I would, however, as JediMaster said, limp behind Axs in deeper spots.
    by 1DamianS
    ANason21 said:
    uWannaChop said:
    Dangerous. With a hand like KQs in a limped pot, top pair is really better than a flush. Generally, people won't limp AK, and likely not AQ, so if you have KQ and you make a pair on the flop, it's usually effectively top pair top kicker. But people limp Axs all the time. And as Bart says, there are exponentially more combos of Axs than there are of other suited cards. So even when you hit your flush with KQ, you don't know it's good and if someone gets aggressive, you're playing a guessing game.

I would, however, as JediMaster said, limp behind Axs in deeper spots.
    I think with position and skill advantage we could play kx and qx hands on the button and cut off vs. mulitable wide limpers as we could cooler their two pairs and smaller flushes and look for spots to take down post.