Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

My attempt to stop "Negreanuing"- calling on river when I think I am beat.

First I must explain to you all what I call "Negreanuing". Growing up during the Money maker boom. I wasn't able to partake in poker for a few years until after the 2003 extravaganza as I was only 16 at the time of the poker "boom" While I watched Poker for years afterwords. I grew to love Daniel Negreanu... but something that baffled me was to watch him call out what an opponent had on a river, and make a call anyway.

Now fast forward I am 28 and have been playing poker recreationally for 7 years... legally... I mean I played poker with friends in highschool, but it wasn't big games. like.. penny poker...

I have found that much like my favorite player to watch growing up, I would call on rivers I was pretty certain I was beat on.

I have been trying to find a way to stop this leak, and I think I have found a way to convince myself in those situations not to call.

What has worked for me is taking that I want to call ( I WANT TO SEE THAT I AM CORRECT) moment and looking at it mathematically. Let's say you aren't 100% sure you are beat but you are 90% sure you are beat. Now to make this an easy math problem let's say you have to call 100 dollars on the river when you are 90% sure you are beat.

you will theoretically make 10 dollars and lose 90 dollars in this hand for a net of negative 80 dollars.

Now if you do that 100 times you have cost yourself

It is costing me over 100 hands in this situation 8k for me to KNOW what I already KNEW... That blew my mind and really kicked me in the pants.

At the 1-2 level 8k can be the difference between having a loosing year to a winning year. It can be the difference from staying at 1-2 an extra 1-3 years to moving up to 2-5 faster etc.

Basically what I am saying is you need to find a way to motivate you to TRUST your READS... ESPECIALLY when your READS ARE CORRECT WAY MORE THAN THEY ARE wrong.

It is hard, we as humans, I think are inclined to want to see and to KNOW for sure... but you have to find a way to make folding less "painful" Less "alluring" Then you will take out a BIG BIG leak out of your play.

For me the MATH has helped me to curve my curiosity. I am sure there are other ways people look at this. I just wanted to write this post to help others who might be in this situation.

Tagged:

Comments

• mythomaniac Posts: 284Subscriber
    What do you do for a living? Do you get to make decisions based on deductive reasoning on a regular basis outside of poker?

For me, I used to be in sales so I'd get to use non verbal behavior tells off the felt.

What I'm getting at is you may be using this super cool part of your capabilities only on the felt and you make these calls to provide proof that you have that correct reasoning. Maybe you need to pick up a hobby or try programs like Luminosity to give your brain the satisfaction of this type of logic away from the table so you don't feel compelled to make those type of calls.
  • MrFizzbinMrFizzbin Posts: 356Subscriber
    edited July 2015
    First of all this is costing you more, because sophisticated players will pick up on this tendency and value bet the crap out of you.

Stop caring about what the other person has, trust your read and move on to the next hand.

This is a hard thing I understand, the fact that you have paid this price dozens of times and you haven't developed the confidence in your reads yet says that.

My suggestion is next time before you call ask your self what specific thing did you see as part of this hand that makes you think he doesn't have what you think he has ? If you can't answer, don't call...

Also what else during the session makes you think this hand isn't what you think it isn't. If you can't answer don't call

When you call, I am calling this bet because it think.....

Remember chips are your weapons don't waste your weapons
  • MrFizzbinMrFizzbin Posts: 356Subscriber
    If you are wasting your weapons on curiosity without purpose (get a read for later play) then you are a fish, and will always be a fish till you stop doing this. Wanna be a fish or a shark ?
  • WilburTrey Posts: 44Subscriber
    I'm aware, I have really put a plug into this leak. I'm just giving people who might have a similar problem a different way to think about it.