Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Making the most of "dead sessions"

Scorcho1108Scorcho1108 Posts: 57Subscriber
edited July 2015 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hey guys,

So I've noticed that every few sessions I'll hit a run where I'll go almost an entire night of being just completely card dead. My hands are trash, and the few decent ones I'm dealt miss a flop completely, and my ability to Cbet bluff is hampered because I get 3-4 callers every time because my image for that night is so weak.

I'm aware that these sessions are going to happen, but I would like to minimize the damage these sessions have on my bottom line. Obviously every game is different, but I was hoping I could get you guys to share some tips on what you do during these tough nights? Do you try to mix it up more and make moves with junk? Do you tighten up even more than usual to minimize the damage? Any guidance would be a big help. Cheers.

Comments

• Bandgeek Posts: 140Subscriber
    Actually I think mixing it up is -ev in these situations because like you said, image is bad.

These are the times where you do have to wait for a hand but the good news is you'll get paid off when you get one because of that image.

It's when you're running in God mode with a mountain of chips that you can mix it up because people will fear you. Its ironic that after you get smacked in the face with the deck for a couple of hours you can bluff your ass off for a couple of hours. The rich get richer.

You can always work on putting people on ranges or trying to spot tells. Days like this suck, but they don't last forever.
  • FuzzyDunlop Posts: 139Subscriber
    I agree with Bandgeek. The best way to minimize the damage is to tighten up and wait. And be happy when you get up and leave and have only lost $x knowing that a lesser player would have lost a lot more.
  • ACK Posts: 428Subscriber
    Just don't go on tilt and keep playing.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,989SubscriberProfessional
    This is one of the things that separates "us" from "them" - We stick to the plan, regardless of the lack of cards coming our way. Too many people try and force it, and that's not the way to win. Have a listen to @DavidTuchman's last UTG Podcast "Feeling Nebraska" - he talks a lot about not forcing it and have the game come to you. Same thing applies here.

How do I stick to the gameplan? I watch every hand after I've folded, and I really keep an eye on spots where one of my opponents played a hand preflop that they had no business playing, and ended up losing a medium-to-large pot because of it. It reminds me that I can't bend the rules of playability just because I've been card dead.
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    edited July 2015
    Get good at winning non-showdown pots...especially orphaned pots. Even in multiway pots where you think that your ability to cbet bluff is hampered by all the other players, you can still sniff out weakness sometimes to stab at the pot at some point.
  • GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 328Subscriber
    DavidChan said:
    Get good at winning non-showdown pots...especially orphaned pots. Even in multiway pots where you think that your ability to cbet bluff is hampered by all the other players, you can still sniff out weakness sometimes to stab at the pot at some point.
    Would love more content on this.
  • beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    see "Patience at a 1-2 table" for more thoughts
  • pexw Posts: 18Subscriber
    When I'm card dead, which has been a lot lately, I try to come up with individual strategies for stacking each player at the table based on their tendencies/stack sizes/positions relative to me.
  • Scorcho1108Scorcho1108 Posts: 57Subscriber
    DavidChan said:
    I completely agree that I need to improve this aspect of my game. I feel like this is the part of my game that I'm weakest at, but I just don't know how to improve at this. I've tried taking shots before and I always seem to lose money at it. I just can't seem to pick the right spots as of yet.

• FreeLunch Posts: 1,308Pro
    Scorcho1108 said:

I would like to minimize the damage these sessions have on my bottom line. .
    Sessions should have no impact on your bottom line. You should forget they even exist. Only good play, hours and the long run should matter to you.

If you are going to play 1000 hours in X months - why does it matter if hours 234-240, 635-680, etc, are examples of periods where you are running bad.
    Scorcho1108 said:
    Do you try to mix it up more and make moves with junk? Do you tighten up even more than usual to minimize the damage?
    You should never do anything other than make the plays that make the most sense at your table at this time. That does not mean you should not be aware of your image, and if you appear tight because you have been card dead, AND if the stacks are deep enough, you can exploit your tight image with no regard to your actual hand. But you never do this just because you have been running bad - you do it because you see a current opportunity to exploit.