Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Top Set, then one liner comes in...

TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
$1/2 $300 max, $180 effective, hero covers.

Hero has tight, winning image in his 2nd time at this table. Has only shown down one hand of note where he GII pre with JJ versus a wide 3-better and won a race versus AQ. First run at this table was losing/aggro where he's c-bet a couple of times and had fold.

Villain is a middle-aged Latino. Loose/passive pre and has only gotten aggro with made hands. VPIP is like 70/15. Peels light. Straddling the button and CO a bunch. Not sure if he recognizes that hero has been tight recently. Definitely a losing player IMO.

OTTH!

Hero opens to $12 UTG+1 with black TT behind a whale with a super-wide pre-flop limping range.
Villain calls MP1
whale calls UTG.

Pot after rake ($37)

T 8 7 r

Hero bets $25. If it were middle or bottom set I would have potted it but I bet this amount to get called by a wider range.
MP 1 calls
Whale folds.

Turn ($87)

T 8 7 J badugi

Hero?

Comments

• irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 383Subscriber
    I would bet closer to pot on the flop given your description of your opponents. I don't think there's any part of their range that would call $25 but not $35. The turn is a bet & fold to a raise.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    If you think villain would turn a made hand into a bluff, then you can check/call the turn and let him bluff off some chips. A lot of players in the profile you describe would fold A8 to a bet, but would bluff with it if checked to.

If you don't believe he would turn his hand into a bluff in this spot, then it is an easy bet/fold.
  • hectorjelly Posts: 47Subscriber
    Why not check call? Maximises opportunity for villain to bluff, he is likely to value bet worse and if he has a nine bet folding takes your chance of housing up and stacking a straight. No need to balance your range against a player like this.
  • TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
    dpbuck said:
    If you think villain would turn a made hand into a bluff, then you can check/call the turn and let him bluff off some chips. A lot of players in the profile you describe would fold A8 to a bet, but would bluff with it if checked to.

If you don't believe he would turn his hand into a bluff in this spot, then it is an easy bet/fold.
    I didn't think he was capable of turning a made hand into a bluff.

Hero best $40, villain raises to $80 with $60 behind.

At this point I think he's nutted. Bart talks about how short stacks that don't move in when they could potentially have drawing hands are always nutted - anybody have other thoughts?

Hero calls. I call for two reasons:

1) We have odds to draw to a FH.
    2) We expect to have villain play predictably OTR - will check back med-strength hands and ship a 9.

River is a 3x. Hero x/f to the ship.

Thoughts?