Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

getting donked into on the turn

Beatsme Posts: 585Subscriber
2/5
600 eff
I open QcQs utg to 20
Button calls tight abc
Doc calls from bb

Flop (55) 8d5c3h
Doc checks
I bet 40
Button folds
Doc calls

Turn (135) 3c
Doc leads 85
Hero?

So the villain is the whale in the game. He is capable of completing in the bb with any two in this spot. He has mulitple leaks where he spews money. He is capable of getting aggressive with draws. He also has trouble folding hands that are marginal at best.

Comments

• beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    I can't fold here.
    So weird that he would bet a 3X here - knowing full well that you're probably betting the turn.
    I'd expect that the 3 helped him turn a club draw - and he want to build the pot in case it comes...
    So, I'd smooth call and see what he does on the river.... because I'm a showdown monkey! and think another possibility is he boated up! LOL :lol:

in defense of calling VS raise/folding - I think if we raise to 185-225 and fold to aggression, it'd probably be the same as smooth-calling and calling V's probable river bet... so raise/folding gets us the pot now if we're best, but calling & calling may win us a bigger pot/or lose the same by the river! No?
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    Raise turn to $225-$270
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    beauregard said:

in defense of calling VS raise/folding - I think if we raise to 185-225 and fold to aggression, it'd probably be the same as smooth-calling and calling V's probable river bet... so raise/folding gets us the pot now if we're best, but calling & calling may win us a bigger pot/or lose the same by the river! No?
    I'm raising to make the pot bigger when we likely have the best hand. I'm not sure if I'm not raise/calling here. Yes, villain could have 3x, but he also overplays draws, of which there are now a bunch. If he raises us, I'll really need to think about his range, and how to proceed. I think just calling is giving him a free shot at his draws, and is missing value from worse hands that will call.
  • ACK Posts: 428Subscriber
    I don't really expect draws here. If a player was going to play a draw aggressively on the turn it would most likely be for a check raise. So if I didn't have any reads on his donking range I would guess his range is weighted towards value hands like A8, 99, TT, K8, 8 x, 3x etc.

I would raise the turn for value.