Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

KK vs a Fish - 3/5 NL

SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Villain - IMO the biggest donator in the 3/5 player pool at Lucky Chances. We have a lot of history of me owning him. (ie I am up about 3k on him this month alone). He loves to play pots with me because I am young and he really wants to beat me. He will flat my pf raises with an extremely wide range (ie ANY suited cards or any semi connected hand). He consistently small raises top pair, flush draws, weak pairs. straight draws on the flop. He will call a ton of raises with weak holdings, especially top pair.

Effective stacks: $800

Preflop: Hero raises KKsc to $25 Utg, folds to villain in HJ who calls, Bu calls and blinds fold.

Flop ($77) - 4410ss. Hero leads $55, Villain INSTANT raises to $110, and button folds. Hero?

Please include actions on future streets as well as I think that is very important.

Thanks!

Skinnybrown

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Is this an older guy with white/grey hair? Reg? I played with someone like this on Tuesday. Always underbet the pot when he has something and overbet when he was bluffing. Never bets the right amount either and complained about getting sucked out on a couple of times..

Well I was going to write that I think you should call and lead the turn. But if he calls you light and you only have effective $800 stacks I think its probably just good to shove.

Most likely he doesnt have a 4 since he called you so fast. Most players with big hands do think about it for a few seconds. Faster tends to mean draw.. and if he is the same guy I played with earlier this week he is likely to check the turn as well. So this means his range is Tens, Flush draws and the unlikely A4 type hand. So maybe 2 combos of A4, All combos of T high flush draws (thats if the T on flop isnt a spade). Ax spades ..

He cant be raising with Kx spades since you have it and I dont see many players that raise with a naked flush that isnt the nut draw..

So if he is going to call off all of these and he doesnt have a 4 often and will call with just a T then shove.

If he wont call off with the flush draw and wont call off with a T then I would call and lead turn and river..

Wendy
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    wendyweissman said

Is this an older guy with white/grey hair? Reg? I played with someone like this on Tuesday. Always underbet the pot when he has something and overbet when he was bluffing. Never bets the right amount either and complained about getting sucked out on a couple of times..

Well I was going to write that I think you should call and lead the turn. But if he calls you light and you only have effective $800 stacks I think its probably just good to shove.

Most likely he doesnt have a 4 since he called you so fast. Most players with big hands do think about it for a few seconds. Faster tends to mean draw.. and if he is the same guy I played with earlier this week he is likely to check the turn as well. So this means his range is Tens, Flush draws and the unlikely A4 type hand. So maybe 2 combos of A4, All combos of T high flush draws (thats if the T on flop isnt a spade). Ax spades ..

He cant be raising with Kx spades since you have it and I dont see many players that raise with a naked flush that isnt the nut draw..

So if he is going to call off all of these and he doesnt have a 4 often and will call with just a T then shove.

If he wont call off with the flush draw and wont call off with a T then I would call and lead turn and river..

Wendy
    He is not an older guy. He has red hair and is in his 40's. He was not playing the day you were there.

If we call and turn is a spade are you bet calling off?
  • What about re raising small. Like make it $215 or so to go? Would he only go over the top with a 4? and just call with a 10 and a draw? I don't know the player but I have tried this against people who do the same to me and I have good results. I am guessing this player has a 10 majority of the time.

If you don't think that will work then I like Wendy's suggestion. If you think he will get it in light then go for it. But if he will fold all his 10s and flush draws then call and go for a bet bet line.

If a spade comes on the turn you can still bet fold. If he has zero bluffs in his range. He might call with a ten and a spade draw. So you can get value from a lot of hands and you won't get blown off the best hand if he ships.

Also, what is the poker scene in San Francisco? good?
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    Joseph RZielinski said

What about re raising small. Like make it $215 or so to go? Would he only go over the top with a 4? and just call with a 10 and a draw? I don't know the player but I have tried this against people who do the same to me and I have good results. I am guessing this player has a 10 majority of the time.

If you don't think that will work then I like Wendy's suggestion. If you think he will get it in light then go for it. But if he will fold all his 10s and flush draws then call and go for a bet bet line.

If a spade comes on the turn you can still bet fold. If he has zero bluffs in his range. He might call with a ten and a spade draw. So you can get value from a lot of hands and you won't get blown off the best hand if he ships.

Also, what is the poker scene in San Francisco? good?
    If I raise he is ONLY reraising with a 4.

If I shove I think he folds weak and maybe even mid level tens.

If that is the case should we be sizing our raise to get it in on the turn or river? I was really torn between raising small which gives us more options and just going for gold and making it something like $500 and shoving pretty much every turn.

Poker in San Francisco is good enough. Nothing like LA tho!
  • If you re raise and he will only ship with a 4 and call with worse. I think its a re raise but a small one to give him the "odds to call."

If you just call his raise on the flop pot is 297 so lets say 300. So you make it 250. he is getting 140 to win 440. Yes you are giving draws ok odds, but you can judge what he has by how fast he calls. If he has a flush draw he will call a lot faster.

So, he ships you fold.

The hard part is betting enough to get draws to call with bad odds and not to scare off the tens.

If you think draw or not sure: He calls and pot is 440 and effective stack is 525. You can bet around 300 on any card except an ace and a spade. I say spade b/c you have the Ks. right? You could over flush the player. If he bets small and you are getting odds its a check call. If not its a check/fold. Would he ever use the spade to bluff if checked to or bet into? Then that makes it harder.

I think ace is a tough one and it might be a check fold. Or maybe bet really small bet. There are a lot of nut slush draws in his range. If he calls really fast on flop and turn I check fold a spade on the river. Any other card, except an ace, I would ship for value.

If he is thinking for a bit and then calls I would put him on a 10 and I would try to bet 200. and ship the river. Player can not fold top pair. Especially if they are getting "good odd."
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    If you think he will call a small raise then go for it. I would click it back then . he will ship a four and will call a spade for sure. you would have about a pot size bet left. i would lead for about 250-300 for any non spade turn. a spade is dicey and being out of position is why I prefer to call. then you still can bet fold turn eve with a spade.

if he is pretty passive then I might check a spade on turn and if he bets just fold unless its like only $100 or so.

I tend to get more folds so thats why I like the call bet bet line. you can still get it all in and a lot of players will call you with top pair

wendy
  • I like a click back raise and then lead small on turn or call raise and lead turn, regardless if it is a spade or not.

Bart
  • Bart:

What if an ace hits on the turn? Do you think its still a bet fold? or can it be a check fold? I feel that hits a lot of villain's range.
  • Make it like $200. Lead turn.