Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

PLAYING VS BET /FOLDERS

I have noticed 2 or 3 players in my player pool who are about break even players to small winners bet/fold over pairs to me and show when ive had a set.

example 3 limps hero over limps 66 otb in a 2/5 nl game villain in the BB raises to 35 about 900 effective and one limper folds and the rest call

flop(140) Jd 8d 6s

villain is a abc tight nit that can bet/fold but not value bet thin, leads for 85 folds to hero and I make it 215 back around to villain and tank folds AA.

Should I slowplay flop vs this villain or the whole hand to the river ? the board was really wet and I didn't know at the time he could bet/fold so I played it standard. Also are far would you go to exploit his bet/folding ? examples and thoughts?

Comments

• TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
    Against bet folders I'm doing a lot more floating and flop bluff raising and letting them bet turn with my made hands. If they're chronic pot controllers you're never getting three streets of value (and sometimes only one), not much more you can do than flat the flop and hope a scare card doesn't kill your action AND hope they're willing to put a 2nd bet in with an overpair.
  • mythomaniac Posts: 284Subscriber
    I wouldn't sweat it. He might show up with A K or A Q sometimes and you want to get value now, in case he shuts down on the turn if he misses. Sometimes if the guy isn't on his A game, he could see that wet flop and think you are bluffing a draw here and be willing to stick it all in. On dryer boards you can certainly consider flatting flop and decide to pump up the turn or not depending on how it goes.

The best way to exploit this guy isn't going to be when getting value. You need to start floating on boards you have backdoor equity/over cards and trying to take it away later. Also, start raising his cbets with your draws relentlessly. Gut-shot+back door flush draw, RAISE. Two overs+gut shot, RAISE. Until he starts adjusting, just pound this guy.

Once he starts calling, tread carefully and try and get to showdown to see what he is taking a stand with (if you don't hit your hand). You want to know when to change gears and start blasting away with your value (and you can sometimes blast medium strength hands too like TPGK).

To me, this is my favorite part of the game. If I can find a way to exploit someone, it's going to be a good session. :)
  • snapper35 Posts: 243Subscriber
    edited August 2015

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,055Subscriber
    mythomaniac said:

The best way to exploit this guy isn't going to be when getting value. You need to start floating on boards you have backdoor equity/over cards and trying to take it away later. Also, start raising his cbets with your draws relentlessly. Gut-shot+back door flush draw, RAISE. Two overs+gut shot, RAISE. Until he starts adjusting, just pound this guy.
    This. But just make sure if you're raising this type player on later streets, you're line actually makes sense.

As for this specific hand, this actually seems like the laydown was more about your image than anything else. Had you been taggy/nitty, and not making flop raises like this without the nuts? Is villain the kind of player that would catch on to that?
  • StarwarsJediMasterStarwarsJediMaster Posts: 741Subscriber
    dpbuck said:
    mythomaniac said:

This. But just make sure if you're raising this type player on later streets, you're line actually makes sense.

As for this specific hand, this actually seems like the laydown was more about your image than anything else. Had you been taggy/nitty, and not making flop raises like this without the nuts? Is villain the kind of player that would catch on to that?
    Ya my image at the time was really good, but this player is a nit pre and post that bet/folds. The Villian i know has like a 1.5 buyin stop loss, he is just a nit overall.
  • SKOOSKOO Posts: 160Subscriber
    I'd float this flop vs a NIT. It's hard to get value here and you're only going to get repopped by JJ here and MAYBE AKdd specifically.

Float and hope to drop the hammer on the turn if he bets again.
  • FoldtoMyRaiseFoldtoMyRaise Posts: 312Subscriber
    edited August 2015
    How about raising to a smaller size to see if he has a lower price point at which he will call your raise. That is what I would try to do first. The way to take make the most money against this particular player type tendencies is to call them down while they keep betting and hope a card comes that does not kill your hand or kill your action. Also start bluff raising the flop with a MUCH higher frequency with semi-bluff equity draws and junk.
    by 1JB401
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,133Subscriber
    Seems like you want to seek this player out, get on his left, flat his pre with almost anything and raise every flop he c-bets.

Your sizing is pretty small and he still folded on pretty wet board, so I think you can just print $$$ raising him on flop until he adjusts.

After you get caught once (hopefully with absolute disgraceful garbage lol) he will NEVER believe you again (or at least will be thinking about how you raised him with 72 every time)

Others will also see it and tag you as maniac/idiot and now you can get paid on your big hands :lol:
    by 1JB401
  • AJD804AJD804 Posts: 184Subscriber
    Seems to me you need to either be bluff raising more flops against these villains, or you have a visual or verbal tell and need to figure that out.
    by 1JB401
  • FreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    Important to differentiate between true bet folders and nits. Scared money nits are very different from good players who are hand reading well.
    by 1JB401
  • iamallin Posts: 1,173SubscriberProfessional
    In this hand, there was no more action. You were on the button and everyone had folded. So I think flatting would have been more useful. Also, if he is a thinking player, he knows his hand looks super strong to bet into 4 people on that board. You raised him anyway and he likely figured it out.

I would be curious to know if he bet/folds in heads-up pots as well. If he does, then he is truly a weak player and you have found a way to print money.