Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5nl HH

2/5 nl about 500effective hero covers the table and a great image

utg( WP fish) calls 5, hero utg+1 (TTblack) raises 25, 3 field callers and the limper calls.

flop(125) Ks Kd 2s checks to hero and I have a leak of knowing I should bet but I check lol I cant tell you why but I do it when iam playing a bit bad. checks to the first field caller(villian) who bets 40 and a field player calls , back to hero and I call 40. thoughts on checking flop and calling the flop ? I feel like I have the best hand do to the small flop sizing imo.

turn(245) 8c
hero checks , villain bets 100, fold , hero calls. again sizing on the small side imo still feel like I can have the best hand. thoughts?

river(445) As hero checks and villain shoves for about 350 and hero folds , pretty bad river and the bet.

*on the flop what would your sizing be for hero ?

Comments

• pokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    I would probably only check call the flop if my plan was to c/r or give up on my TT and bluff a spade turn. Your the PF raiser and it's actually a good board to Cbet as you should only be getting called by a spade or a K and you can figure that out later. For now just Cbet $75ish.

Turn this is starting to feel like a K milking it or QQ playing it safe in case they aren't good. Either way your no good. What worse hand is double barreling unless it's a draw or bluff? I understand you have to call it down sometimes so I guess his small sizing is making that OK if you really think you could be good

River obvious fold. Again your not giving us much to go on. There are time you call people down with mid pair but with out and reads it's hard to say if this was the right time. The 1/3 pot size bets make you want to stay around for sure but that might have been his plan or his way to build a pot for his FD. If you have double barreled large you probably could have got him off that. Once again result oriented because I know the end but it still was probably the better play then letting him price his own draw. It seems that a big part of his range OTR as he should be scared that's what you called down with but he's obviously not.

• SnOwHIO Posts: 114Subscriber
    I think you checked flop cause it's 5 ways and you thought betting looked super strong (aka a King) so nothing would give you value. You have to remember to fold out other people's equity. It can be folded out by betting on the smaller side cause that's such a dry flop. I think $60 is good. Gets you value from smaller PPs (A bet OTF also is definitely interpreted as polarizing, so you'll get light calls from some) and FDs. Keeps a King in your range and also allows somebody who actually has a K to raise and announce their hand cause they are afraid of spades. Just makes the entire hand easier to play.

Should V call, then pot is 245.

Easy bet OTT. I might make it slightly larger this time to get value from FDs. Around $140.

River is an easy fold, unless you think V is capable of going bonkers.

I interpret V's bet sizing to be weighted towards a FD, so I don't mind the call down at all. It definitely doesn't say a King to me with the small turn sizing.
  • yocamyo Posts: 63Subscriber
    You could have bet flop for value/equity protection. As played I'd consider c/r turn. I feel like if you're image is good then you should have a hand that could be check raising to fold out better, in the form of weak Kx, and get worse to call, such as nut fd. TT-QQ/AA non As seem like good hands to play turn as a combo raise. Using these hands seems good to combo raise because of the blocker value to the stronger Kx that would be in a cold call or over call range pre.

Easy fold on the river given the action and stack sizes.
  • SnOwHIO Posts: 114Subscriber
    Yocamyo, I think it's smarter and less variance to aim for value from FDs and smaller pairs that are getting sticky than to hopefully fold out better pairs or Kings. Maybe that's a good advanced play for a super deep stack 5/10 game, but a 100 BB 2/5 game, a little too optimistic in my opinion.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,055Subscriber
    Yeah, flop is a bet for equity protection and to get value from spade draws. $60 should do the trick.

Readless on villain, I'm probably just folding (yeah, I'm a nit). Villain still had two others to act behind him, so he's unlikely to bet an underpair or a small flush draw. You're out of position, and either slightly ahead or way behind in a bloated pot. Recipe for disaster.

As played, I'm definitely folding the river. What can you beat?
  • tomorrow33tomorrow33 Posts: 485Subscriber
    edited August 2015
    yocamyo said:
    You could have bet flop for value/equity protection. As played I'd consider c/r turn. I feel like if you're image is good then you should have a hand that could be check raising to fold out better, in the form of weak Kx, and get worse to call, such as nut fd. TT-QQ/AA non As seem like good hands to play turn as a combo raise. Using these hands seems good to combo raise because of the blocker value to the stronger Kx that would be in a cold call or over call range pre.

Easy fold on the river given the action and stack sizes.
    Im not sure about the logic behind raising in the hope that better will fold out but worse will call. In this spot if you raise with the intention of targeting smaller PPs and FDs then you can never expect V to fold Kx yeah? I know there are situations where we can go for a combo raise but I don't think this is one of them.

Likewise if you raise to put pressure on V to fold his weak Kx then you can't expect him to call with a weaker hand. IMO if your c/r raise and show strength I think it's a bit optimistic to hope that V will call with weaker hands as a K is a huge part of your range. You maybe (big maybe) able to get him to fold a weak Kx but at this level I doubt it.
  • uWannaChop Posts: 37Subscriber
    Def bet flop for equity protection...it's a spot where it can suck getting called against a tighter player but just too many bad cards for 1010 to check call.

But as played why are some comments saying to check raise turn? What exactly does this accomplish? Why are we turning a made hand which could be the best hand into a bluff where we are bloating pot only to get called by worse...
  • TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 321Subscriber
    You should be leading the flop as others have said and be prepared to give up against resistance, or be wary of someone who decides to just call with Kx.

As played, you should fold flop. There was a bet and a call. Any spade, A, Q, or J can beat your hand on the turn; if you're not going to bet flop then you certainly doesn't sound like the plan is to fire those cards. You're going to be OOP and playing a guessing game for at least one more street, possibly two.

If you don't have a plan and you aren't in a comfortable spot there are worse things than just folding...like burning $140 basically chasing two outs.