Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

5/10 hand

Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I have 1450 and my image is fairly tight, def. aggressive and this hand is 2 hands after I doubled a shortstack when we both flopped flushes with the A on board and his K6>QJ. I don't think they see me as tilting.

V. 1 is somewhat irrelevant except that he is shortstacked and has been buying in short and eventually going broke throughout the night. His play makes little sense other than he hasn't put his money in ahead all night. He is strictly reactionary.

V.2 is a regular in the game. I don't know his name, but he is 25-30 white guy Plays pretty aggressive and is definitely a winning player. He 5b QQ and hit a Q on the flop and has been slowly adding to his stack since with a 4-5k stack. Not sure about 5b QQ, but there was a lot of history between the two players.

I'm in the bb with 45ss. 2 limpers to V2 in mp who raises to 50. 2 callers and I call out of the bb. Limpers call and we take the flop 5 ways.

Flop (250) 3s6d9s. I check, hoping to check raise, and it gets checked through. Ughhh.

Turn is 4d. I lead out for 200, folded to V1 who calls and V2 raises to 575. Folded to me. Shortstack has 320 left and I consider him all in. There is zero doubt that he will call here. So effective pot size is 1420 and I have 1200 left. I'm a bit unsure of V2's range because I think he bets the flop with overpairs, sets, semi-bluffs, etc.. I think that he has either 44, 55, 77 here. If I assume worst case scenario I have 33% equity. I tank for a bit to work this out in my head and decide to shove, and V2 calls.

Thoughts on the play? I think the equity is pretty close. I'm not sure that a flat call is ever appropriate, and I'm not sure I can fold the turn. I was disappointed not to be able to check raise the flop, and maybe I should have led there? Fold pre probably isn't horrible. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• BigOwl Posts: 80Member
    A hand like 78dd is also possible, and he obviously could be making a move, so I don't mind your play. I fold pre as I am not fond of playing a hand like 45s oop against a good player, I just don't think it's profitable.
  • BartBart Posts: 6,077AdministratorLeadPro
    Zach,

I'm not sure if I agree with your range analysis of his turn play. I think at worst he may have nut, combo diamonds. Why do you think he is all of a sudden raising an oop lead that is strong with a pocket pair that contains a gutshot?

Personally Id actually go for a check raise on the turn after it gets checked through on the flop as it adds a lot more fold equity vs field players that may call your turn lead out with one pair. Usually preflop raisers don't screw around with turn raises after checking through the flop and having another rag card come. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a monster here although you said that he would bet most of his draws as a cbet and the nuts here is double gutted on the flop.

Bart
  • bobo1384 Posts: 145Subscriber
    If this is an aggressive guy I think he bets his draws on the flop. I am having a hard time putting him on a hand. I think he leads with other sets on flop so it seems to me his range is 44, hands like 77 he's turning into bluffs, or air.

After thinking about it some I think he was also going for a check/raise on the flop. He could have something like 78ss or A2ss. Also maybe he has a underrepresented hand that he tried to be tricky with but I think that's stretching.

I'm not folding here and I like the push because he should fold a lot of his 1 pair hands and he might call with draws that you are ahead of but still have a lot of equity.

Pre flop I'm fine with calling or folding but I think I lead out on the flop.
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    Bart said

Zach,

I'm not sure if I agree with your range analysis of his turn play. I think at worst he may have nut, combo diamonds. Why do you think he is all of a sudden raising an oop lead that is strong with a pocket pair that contains a gutshot?

Personally Id actually go for a check raise on the turn after it gets checked through on the flop as it adds a lot more fold equity vs field players that may call your turn lead out with one pair. Usually preflop raisers don't screw around with turn raises after checking through the flop and having another rag card come. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a monster here although you said that he would bet most of his draws as a cbet and the nuts here is double gutted on the flop.

Bart
    Hi Bart -

I felt pretty comfortable with the range because I cannot envision a hand that he would hold that he would raise preflop and be ok with checking through the flop, but still be a "huge" hand since we are seeing the turn 5 ways. There is probably some merit to including nut diamond draws that he wouldn't have cbet since we are 5 people e.g. AJdd, etc... but with those hands, I am a 70% favorite. While tanking about a decision, I felt that he would expect me to make a play at the pot (which i would, somewhat often)and that he could move me off of the hand. I also thought that he had a minor equity of the hand enough to see a showdown with V1 that rarely has much here, except bizarre draws or single pairs, etc...
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    ***results***

River is a Kh (yuck). V1 shows A9o and V2 has 44. Double yuck.

I'm trying not to be results oriented here and be decision based as I am working on moving up to 5/10 much more often. The game isn't always great where I play, but i want to be more and more comfortable at the limit and this was the only real dilemma of a quite long session yesterday
  • BartBart Posts: 6,077AdministratorLeadPro
    Zach,

Like I said earlier, it doesn't surprise me that he has a made, monster here. Sometimes you'll even see him have a slowplayed set on the flop. People usually don't mess around with turn raise bluffs against OOP opponents on ragged boards. This is especially the case when it is obvious that the short stack is going to call off. I just don't see him raising 77, 55, or 88, here.

Bart