Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

An Epiphany?

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I have always felt as a women that doesnt have blonde hair or big boobs on constant display it was harder for me to get value when I bet. My coach used to sit behind me and see how player after player would fold to me yet call a guy.

Then I see all the posts that Claire has done and I realized I really needed to start turning up the agression. I should be able to get away with more and It should also set the stage for getting value from other players who have finally " had it" with my constant pressure. The problem for them is that I have control of the pot and can put them on ranges whereis they are not doing the same.

So over the last few months I have yet again altered my game. culminating with my play last night. I started out with a plan to iso more three bet in good squeeze spots and raise ootb with hands like kj+ in limped pots. not only did it work it was alot more fun the play!

one donk did get me for a river bet ( hero calling a bit too much recently) when he called my threebet to his raise when i had JJ and he had K9 sooted checked to river on AK9 47 board and he bet 75 into the 110 pot. I paid him off. but other than that I am really excited to play some more!

I even had a fish tell the whole table I was a "bluffer". Laugh

ww

Comments

• jmc Posts: 58Member
    Cool! Can't wait to see you plan on LATB again :)
  • CruelUltimatum Posts: 160Subscriber
    I had a similar epiphany, but in the opposite way. I look like an aggro donk to a lot of people. I'm Indian, I have kind of long/unkempt hair, and sometimes I go a few days between shaves (but I do shower every day, in case you were wondering). Listen, I gotta be comfortable. =-) People look at me and I think a lot of them think I'm really really aggressive.

I do not have trouble getting paid off when I make a hand, but it's a lot like having a bad image. I recently realized that I don't have a lot of fold equity, so suited connectors and similar types of hands go down in value because I get looked up really really light, way lighter than I see most of the player pool getting looked up. And of course people aren't paying attention, so they don't realize that I'm playing super tight. So I play those cards a lot less than I used to. As a result, when I hit a hand, I can bet bigger and thinner for value. I frequently overbet the pot if it means I can get all the money in by the river. It's really something.

One thing I have noticed though is that if I have a good/winning image, that overrides the other factors, and your normal "play with a good image" play stuff still applies.

I could probably cut my hair and dress more conservatively and try not to look like a wild man, but I don't know how much that matters and I figure I can settle in to a pretty low variance style. I do miss some value by not having fold equity (much like having a losing image is worse for your winrate), so I try to make up for it by betting big. Like ridiculously big when most people wouldn't call. It's something I'm playing around with and I've had good results.

It's really amazing how much physical appearance changes the way hands play out. There's some fascinating human psychology at play here.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Why do you think it is that the super hot girls get paid off more?

Btw, I actually don't like it when I have a bluffy image, for the reason that it's hard to make a hand in this game, and it gets frustrating when your only tool in the game is to make a hand and value bet. I usually only have a bluffy image against people who have seen me show down bad hands after I 3bet or seen me bluff off my stack. Sometimes when I'm playing with unknowns, I have a nitty image because I'm on the tighter side pre-flop, in which case I make occasional steals until people start suspecting I might not have it every time
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Claire said

Why do you think it is that the super hot girls get paid off more?

Btw, I actually don't like it when I have a bluffy image, for the reason that it's hard to make a hand in this game, and it gets frustrating when your only tool in the game is to make a hand and value bet. I usually only have a bluffy image against people who have seen me show down bad hands after I 3bet or seen me bluff off my stack. Sometimes when I'm playing with unknowns, I have a nitty image because I'm on the tighter side pre-flop, in which case I make occasional steals until people start suspecting I might not have it every time
    The ditsy girls get paid off because the reg players do t think they know what they are doing. so they call. I look like I do. glasses. conservative looking. white. all of this screams "tight".

I dint think you bluff too much but it got me thinking that with my basic image I really can get away with alot more. I just havent tried. In the smaller games the pkay tends to be more passive and this means I should be able to rep most of whats on the board. so far yesterday I play ALOT more aggressive.

it was a lot more fun Now instead of just pkaying more like a robot it makes you think in every hand. and it makes the other p,ayers to do the same too.

ww
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    But if people think they have no idea what they're doing, they shouldn't be capable of running a good bluff either. So they should get folds when they're representing strength.

Glad you're having fun with making some of the moves I like to :)
    Claire said

But if people think they have no idea what they're doing, they shouldn't be capable of running a good bluff either. So they should get folds when they're representing strength.

Pretty jealous right now. I want to play fun poker. :-(
    CruelUltimatum said
    Claire said

Well I try to have as much fun as possible. For me Poker is a big puzzle and I cant stand it when I cant solve a puzzle. I have also come to peace with the money. I now accept the fact that I might not ever be really profitable in poker.. That I am ok with that as long as I feel like I am playing well and progressing.

I guess thats all we can do.

ww
    CruelUltimatum said
    Claire said

You are assuming that a run of the mill player is even thinking.. I see it so often. the more fishy someone is the MORE likely that person is going to be called with anything they bet..

I totally agree with you that in general when I fish goes all in they have the nuts.. or at least the nuts they think.. but still I see them get called over and over again..

We cant as good players get wrapped up in that. and not think about what WE would do in a situation because most of the players are just not thinking that way.
    Thehammah said

Well I try to have as much fun as possible. For me Poker is a big puzzle and I cant stand it when I cant solve a puzzle. I have also come to peace with the money. I now accept the fact that I might not ever be really profitable in poker.. That I am ok with that as long as I feel like I am playing well and progressing.
    This surprises me, since you seem to play quite well from what I've seen on LATB. What do you think your leaks are? You definitely seem very capable of being a solid winning player.
    CruelUltimatum said
    Thehammah said

This surprises me, since you seem to play quite well from what I've seen on LATB. What do you think your leaks are? You definitely seem very capable of being a solid winning player.
    A year ago I would have said that I just run badly.. I would say now that I do a much better job of value betting thinly to get more from my winning hands and I do lose a less because of hand reading.. All of this I agree you would think I am a winning player.. I have been doing a bit too much hero calling lately on polarized boards .. All of this tho still cant explain why I seem to have sets against my aces and suckouts etc..

I think I am not getting as much value as your avg player.. Even the guy that said I was bluffing still folded his pair of ace after raising the flop .. The board was A 9 T with two clubs and I had raised pre with AT from the sb.. I shoved the flop for 200 more from his 100 three bet and he folded..That happens a lot to me. I am not really sure what I can do about this other than checking some turns to try to get hero called on the river.

I still think I am running -ev and have been for a while. what I dont know if this is response to running super hot when I first started playing. I remember some unreal hands when I was a newbie to NL and won pots that were like 3k with nut flushes etc.. I just dont seem to get these situations anymore. Not sure why.

So getting too much fold equity and not enough value but still getting sucked out on I think that is a recipe for still losing playing. So I am ramping up my aggression and hopefully that will make me money that I wasnt getting before and change my image so I can more value..

ww
  • LucasE Posts: 167Member
    That's a pretty cool epiphany to have and to take advantage of. The general stereotype of women is that they tend to be more conservative, less bluffy, maybe more passive. Bart even mentions it several times. My own experience is the same - most of the women in my local room are the stereotypical 'polite & accommodating' poker player, never bluffing and being extremely straightforward.

However, there is one younger woman (early 20's) who is as you describe yourself - brunette, short, very petite. And she is THE MOST aggressive player in the room. And she gets away with some incredible plays because of it. I've seen exactly what you're describing several times - this player will bet at some old guy (who's been awkwardly flirting with her since he sat down) for hours until he gets fed up and busts his stack to her. Absolutely hilarious.

I guess the takeaway is to just figure out what your perceived image/stereotypes are and abuse the heck out of them. Also, you should go on LATB again with this new play style so we can see you run people over.
    I would love to play LATB again. I have been doing alot of traveling for work lately and its just been really hard to plan out my weeks to try and play. Fridays game are the only ones I would consider and lately the line ups havent been that great. With the exception of last friday that game looked pretty good.

My plan for LATB would be to play but not sign up first .. then I can see who is playing and just come in during the session.. If I like the game I will play If I dont like the game I wont..

This week I am traveling again so maybe next week.

ww