Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 short handed, nut straight monotone board

LucasE Posts: 167Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Had this hand happen a few nights ago at a 2/5 game (300-1000) that had just opened. It was the only 2/5 game in the room and we were trying to get it going so we started six handed. This was the 4th hand. Villain is a younger guy (mid 20's) who I hadn't seen before. He had min-bought for $300 and I was in for $1000.

I have 6d 8d.

UTG folds
MP folds
HERO raises $15
BTN folds
SB calls $13
VILLAIN calls $10

Flop: 5c 7c 9c (pot: $45)

SB checks, VILLAIN checks, HERO bets $40, SB folds, VILLAIN raises to $85, HERO goes all-in

A few conflicting things going on here. Villain is younger so he may be more willing to make a play but he also min-bought which may mean a few different things (feeling the game out, not comfortable playing deep, etc.). His min-raise on the flop screams strength and I'm effectively counting it as an all-in. I know literally nothing about villain so any range I give him is going to be a guess. The biggest problem I'm having is that we don't know how lightly he'll defend his big blind so I'm not sure how many made flushes he can have playing random suited connectors/gappers. The way the board is laid out he can't have many middle connectors so if he has a made flush it would either be Ax or broadway combos (JT+) of which he may 3bet some of those combos preflop because we're six handed. I elected to shove thinking that there are enough pair+draw, including nut flush+pair and straight+flush draw+pair, combos. Does that sound overly optimistic?

Comments

• bobo1384 Posts: 145Subscriber
    I think he also plays his set combos the same way as he would the flush. I don't think a shortstacker is going to raise fold. I'd give the short stacker a range of made flushes, sets, AcXx draws, and some pair+ draws that have the Ac or Kc

As played, I would jam here too. I just wonder if there is any benefit to calling and then jamming any non club turn, since I would imagine a huge part of his range that we beat is AcXx.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I doubt villain has Ax clubs.. Most players would slowplay this hand and get it in on the turn. The check raise to me looks like a " I have a hand that is vulnerable and I want to take it down now" vibe to it.

You raising all in I think will get the nut flush draws to call for sure.. but it also might get the two pair hands to fold.. Did you consider making it say $170? This way you probably get his entire range to call whatever it is..

then call or jam the turn regardless of what hits.. I am not necessarily criticizing your play, just curious if another line might be even more +ev?

ww
    I guess after thinking about it.. seems silly to click it back with villain being a short stack. I like your shove.. hopefully he is calling with two pair..

wendy
  • LucasE Posts: 167Member
    With starting stacks of $300 I think a click back is too awkward. The other line that may be good is what bobo1384 suggested - flat the c/r on the flop and evaluate turn. Can we fold if the turn is a blank and villain shoves his remaining $200 into $215? Assuming villain checks a blank turn, shoving would be our obvious play - but would bare AcXx hands fold on the turn where they would have called a flop all-in? I'm not sure which line would be most +EV in this case.
    LucasE said

With starting stacks of $300 I think a click back is too awkward. The other line that may be good is what bobo1384 suggested - flat the c/r on the flop and evaluate turn. Can we fold if the turn is a blank and villain shoves his remaining $200 into $215? Assuming villain checks a blank turn, shoving would be our obvious play - but would bare AcXx hands fold on the turn where they would have called a flop all-in? I'm not sure which line would be most +EV in this case.
    Many villains with sets or two pairs would certainly shove the turn if a blank falls thinking that hero is on a flush draw. So I think you can ONLY fold is villain shoves on turn when another flush card hits the board.. The more I think about it the more I like the shove.. You might get say bottom two to fold but you will certainly get all the AcXx hands to call you and getting it in with that much equity is +EV . Even if villain is better than most players I doubt he has hero on the straight since you raised..

With villain in the bb he can basically have ATC since so many players are calling the extra 10 bucks getting "pot odds". His min raise is probably not a combo draw or a set. There I would expect to see a bigger raise.. I wouldnt be surprised if he had something like the Ac and a pair or the nut flush draw and a straight card.. He could have a flush too.. but I wouldnt expect to see the nut flush.. he would check that most of the time.

ww
  • jmc Posts: 58Member
    I'd imagine that someone w/ a set or small flush would check/raise slightly more to potentially charge you to draw at a single large club.

The remaining explanations are:
    1. He's luring you in with the flopped nut flush - possible, but I think Wendy is right in that people like to slowplay this hand and get it in on the turn
    2. He's check/raising with top pair or a hand like TT to "find out where he's at". Could easily be pair+club type hand.

The fact that he bought in for $300, is an unknown, and his flop bet-sizing indicates to me that villain might not quite understand what he's doing. Did he play any of the previous 3 hands?
  • JerseyJay Posts: 181Subscriber
    Easy shove.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    +1 to shoving.