Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Poker Video No.209: Making adjustments during a Session (part 1 of 3)

Craig Posts: 742Administrator
Part 1 of 3, Tuck examines an entire session of Poker on Air to see what adjustments should be made by the players at the table.

Episode posts at 11AM PT.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/making-adjustments-during-a-session-part-1-of-3
Tagged:

Comments

• Making adjustments during a session is so important...In this series, we discuss what adjustments you might make to best exploit your opponents.

• chris_9090chris_9090 Posts: 101Subscriber
    hey great vid man , couple of questions :
    at 30:00 mark , obv we get a perfect river card that we absolutely have to vbet but what we do at T,J,Q,A or clubs rivers (which will show up around 40% of time) and villain checks to us (and we have the same live read, villain staring aggresively at us ) ..do u think we are getting call more that 50% of time to make a profitable thin vbet ?
    at 55:00 mark , i dont understand why u think mike should lead river . First of all we already seen from previous showdown that David is capable of vbetting thin (the 99 hand), also if Mikes perceived range for leading big otr is so strong we can assume that David is folding most of his vbetting range to a lead (He tank calls with 2nd set).Secondly Davids range is not that strong itself (most part if not all of it ,is actually KT and draws more weighted towards draws if we can assume that he is raising otf with sets ) and if Mike checks he might induce some busted draw bluffs. Also because of stacks sizes if David happens to have a hand and vbets the river it would be next to impossible to fold to our shove because of the pot odds so we get the whole stacks in...what are ur thoughts ?
  • FoldtoMyRaiseFoldtoMyRaise Posts: 312Subscriber
    This video is much better than the previous one. I really like the theme of making adjustments as it is one of the main components involved to being a good-great NLHE player. All the crushers I see and play against make adjustments on the fly.
  • DavidTuchman Posts: 790Pro
    edited September 2015
    chris_gr90 said:
    at 30:00 mark , obv we get a perfect river card that we absolutely have to vbet but what we do at T,J,Q,A or clubs rivers (which will show up around 40% of time) and villain checks to us (and we have the same live read, villain staring aggresively at us ) ..do u think we are getting call more that 50% of time to make a profitable thin vbet ?

at 55:00 mark , i dont understand why u think mike should lead river . First of all we already seen from previous showdown that David is capable of vbetting thin (the 99 hand), also if Mikes perceived range for leading big otr is so strong we can assume that David is folding most of his vbetting range to a lead (He tank calls with 2nd set).Secondly Davids range is not that strong itself (most part if not all of it ,is actually KT and draws more weighted towards draws if we can assume that he is raising otf with sets ) and if Mike checks he might induce some busted draw bluffs. Also because of stacks sizes if David happens to have a hand and vbets the river it would be next to impossible to fold to our shove because of the pot odds so we get the whole stacks in...what are ur thoughts ?
    I think you can still vbet if an over card falls on river...I might just size it a little smaller. I know it might look like a really obvious vbet, but against Chris, I doubt he'll be able to fold any pair if you bet small enough...maybe $25-$30...If river is a club, I'd probably do the same thing. Again, I'm betting and again I'm going to size it smaller. Btw, I might even bet $15 on river

I think this definitely has merit. David's hand is very under-repped and my thinking was that he'd be checking back any value hand that isn't KT or better (but we assume he doesn't really have better unless he bet a flush draw on the turn and got there. So, what does Dave have? A Ten, KT, diamonds, J9, 97, ...generally speaking when I'm playing the lower limits, I want to bet my hand because I can't count on my opponents to value own themselves and most players can't fold on the river once the pot starts to get biggish, but I think your point has a ton of merit. Any hand David is paying off with, he's probably going to vbet...unless you size the bet ridiculously small, so maybe checking is the best play. That said, keep in mind that while David is vbetting a little thin against Chris, he may not vbet thin against other players especially once the pot starts to get big. If you think he's paying off with KT+ and nothing less and if you think he's betting KT+ and bluffing even 5-10% of the time, it makes sense to check. Good catch Chris...
  • chris_9090chris_9090 Posts: 101Subscriber
    DavidTuchman said:
    chris_gr90 said:

I think you can still vbet if an over card falls on river...I might just size it a little smaller. I know it might look like a really obvious vbet, but against Chris, I doubt he'll be able to fold any pair if you bet small enough...maybe $25-$30...If river is a club, I'd probably do the same thing. Again, I'm betting and again I'm going to size it smaller. Btw, I might even bet $15 on river

I think this definitely has merit. David's hand is very under-repped and my thinking was that he'd be checking back any value hand that isn't KT or better (but we assume he doesn't really have better unless he bet a flush draw on the turn and got there. So, what does Dave have? A Ten, KT, diamonds, J9, 97, ...generally speaking when I'm playing the lower limits, I want to bet my hand because I can't count on my opponents to value own themselves and most players can't fold on the river once the pot starts to get biggish, but I think your point has a ton of merit. Any hand David is paying off with, he's probably going to vbet...unless you size the bet ridiculously small, so maybe checking is the best play. That said, keep in mind that while David is vbetting a little thin against Chris, he may not vbet thin against other players especially once the pot starts to get big. If you think he's paying off with KT+ and nothing less and if you think he's betting KT+ and bluffing even 5-10% of the time, it makes sense to check. Good catch Chris...
    Thx for the answer. Since this video is for making adjustments , after seeing last hand in showdown would u make future adjustments regarding David's Flop Calling and Raising ranges (meaning that u will be giving more credit to his calling range , and less credit to his raising range ) or this is a bad board to assume that , because top set has all the board crushed and David is more prone to slowplaying that ?
  • Philly Dave Posts: 114Subscriber
    Tuck haven't gotten past the intro yet but wanted to say Kudos to addressing the criticism the way you did. WP.
  • Hey Chris,

I definitely would make adjustments based on seeing how he played TT. And the one's you suggested are certainly a good starting point. That said, this is one hand. Does this mean he slow-plays all the time? obviously not...but it does mean he's prone to it. We start putting a "book" together on David and the longer we play with him, the more we put into that book. Nothing is constant though. As the game changes, David's play might change depending on how he's running, how he's feeling. Is he up? is he down? Is he the type of player that will NEVER slow play again because he "allowed" his opponent to get there? ...

• Philly Dave said:
    Tuck haven't gotten past the intro yet but wanted to say Kudos to addressing the criticism the way you did. WP.
    Thanks