Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

3bet pot TP 1/2 Aria

Jseeley Posts: 48Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Villain 1 is in from out of town and is one of those mid-age guys who watches to much poker on TV. Only big history we have together is a hand that checked on flop, I check raise on turn and fire a pot sized river bet on a AJJT3 board. He laid down AK and I showed Q8.

Villain 2 is random lady. Passive/Weak.

Hero, I'm super aggressive in these morning games. Everyone is so weak tight and never really adjust. I 3bet close to 1.5 times an orbit and just run over table.

1/2
Hero (900)
Villain 1(300)
Villain 2 (625)

Villain 2, opens over two limpers to $15
Hero 3 bets in cutoff with ATo to $45
Villain 1 calls in BB
Villain 2 calls

(105)
Flop comes
A63cc
Check
Check
I check figuring this is a way ahead way behind situation and I can get value from pocket pairs on later streets with my image.

(105)
Turn is a 9
A639cc
Villain 1 leads for $75
Villain 2 folds
Hero calls.

($255)
River is a Q
Final board of A639Q
Villain moves in for $180
Hero?
I think against most villains this is a turbo muck. He range for a cold call 3 bet is extremely strong. I think with our past history and me under repping my hand he may be making a play at me.

Comments

• Jseeley Posts: 48Member
    This game is 1/3 not 1/2
  • I'm folding and feeling pretty good about it.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    With the info you provided, this spot is a total guessing game. I think there's no advice we can give you, it totally depends on how villain's mood and how he perceives you. He could bluff a busted flush draw, he could valuebet two pair or valuebet a weaker ace, he even could bet out KQ. I have seen people bet a hand like JJ or TT in this spot, without knowing if they were bluffing or betting for value.

My recommendation is to decide like the joker: flip a coin... Wink
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    whatsyourplay? said
    flip a coin
    When it's this close I call to at least get information for the future.
    I ended up folding face up. He's 3 bet cold calling range is just way skewed toward hands that crush me.
    He showed me a Q. I think with our dynamic if he bluffed me, he'd show.
  • bobo1384 Posts: 145Subscriber
    I would have bet the flop.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    I would have bet the flop as bobo said. Tough for me not to call the river given our image as being super aggressive (he can't always have it!), and the fact that we checked back top pair OTF.

I would actually raise turn to make it look like I'm on clubs, and call off. With only 100BBs effective, it's tough me for me not to get it in with top pair. If you are dominated, make sure you show your crds at showdown. Some (relatively) cheap advertising.
  • floppedawheel Posts: 1,063Subscriber
    Wackabrew said

Tough for me not to call the river given our image as being super aggressive (he can't always have it!).
    i think we're leveling ourselves if we do this. it's possible, of course, but i don't think a "passive/weak" random lady is gonna decide to try to put you in your place by putting her stack in the middle. her plan for you is to flop huge and against you and hope you keep firing. this might be, and probably is, the hand where she finally picked up a monster against you. this is a fold and i don't think it's very close.

flop play: just bet. they'll probably be afraid of an ace and fold if they don't have one but with your image you're more likely to get calls from smaller pairs. and who knows, they're probably calling you fairly light since you're so active so you might even get some value from smaller aces. more often than not you're losing value if you're not checking. if you get raised, it's a bet/fold of course. checking here instead of betting also leaves you with more of a guessing game on the river. all the way around, it's better to just bet.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I am usually cbetting an A high board as well with most of my range, and especially with my Ax hands. But in this specific scenario, where we decided to 3bet with a not so great Ax hand, I actually like the check back. This is, at least against weaker opponents who don't know that checking back always is a medium-strength hand. By checking, we underrepresent our hand somewhat, instead of folding out most worse hands and getting called by better. With AK, I much more prefer to cbet.

When we check back the flop, we need to call down lighter on subsequent streets. We actually induce bluffs some of the time, so our folding % should go down. This is the reason why I would consider calling the river at all. Otherwise, it would be a pretty trivial fold.
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    I think there's an error in the action. OP says V1 folds the turn, but the river action makes it pretty clear you are talking about V1 as the bettor. Against V2 I would agree that this is a pretty easy fold.

I would also agree to bet flop - with this sort of a hand, I think you have to bet to maintain control of the hand. If any of the villains call, they will probably play pretty face-up on the turn.
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    whatsyourplay? said

When we check back the flop, we need to call down lighter on subsequent streets. We actually induce bluffs some of the time, so our folding % should go down. This is the reason why I would consider calling the river at all. Otherwise, it would be a pretty trivial fold.
    This also makes sense to me, but I'd like it more in a situation where I'd think the villain would be turn and then give up if called, instead of where the villain might stack off on a bluff and put us in the guessing game spot, as you called it.
    Tyrith said

I think there's an error in the action. OP says V1 folds the turn, but the river action makes it pretty clear you are talking about V1 as the bettor. Against V2 I would agree that this is a pretty easy fold.

I would also agree to bet flop - with this sort of a hand, I think you have to bet to maintain control of the hand. If any of the villains call, they will probably play pretty face-up on the turn.
    Ugh. Sorry. I'll edit. Thanks for pointing that out.