Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Rivered straight flush. Extracting value. 1/3 Aria

Jseeley Posts: 48Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hero is super aggressive. Winning most pots without ever showing down.

Villain is older black gentleman. Has been running SUPER hot. Plays very weak tight.

Limped pot 5 ways
Hero is in BB with 75o (1200)
Villain is in cut off (1kish)

($15)
Flop comes 654 all clubs
I check, usually I would lead her but I really want to control pot size since we are so deep.
checks around.

($15)
Turn is an A
I lead for $10
folds to villain who raises to $25
I obviously know I'm behind but I think this looks like the ace of clubs from this guy a large portion of the time.
I call

($65)
River is the 8 of clubs giving me the straight flush
Hero?

Comments

• WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    I would overbet the pot. He's never folding the Ac.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Yeah I agree.. pot is tiny considering how much money you still have behind. I would def lead over pot.. maybe $100 ..villain is very polarized to ace of clubs or pretty much nothing he will call with..

You want him to raise with the assumed nut flush so you can ship over that raise.. to get there you need to be something significant to get the money in.

ww
  • If villain raised w/ Ac he's not going to check when he rehits OTR.
    Check and after he bets like 35 or whatever raise to ~275.

If he checks back JcTc oh well, he wasn't calling more than ~50 and we come out way ahead by targeting the AcX part of his range.

For some reason Ac vs 7c is a bigger beat that Kc vs Ac had the Jc fallen.
    Chuckle quietly to yourself about this fact as you drag the pot.
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    Jseeley said
    I really want to control pot size since we are so deep.
    Isn't it backwards? You can be more aggressive when you deep cause you can put more pressure on your opponent. Also you need to think about how to put all that money in the pot when you have best hand.
  • I don't really understand checking the flop if you're just going to bet an Ace turn, but whatever. I bet at least $100 on the river, maybe even 2x pot and ship over his raise.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    both check-raising or betting small with the intention of 3betting should be fine.
    If I am extremely confident that he has the Ac, I would rather checkraise huge. But if I am not 100% sure, because he could have other AxXc hands, I'd rather bet out on the river.
  • Jseeley Posts: 48Member
    whatsyourplay? said

both check-raising or betting small with the intention of 3betting should be fine.
    If I am extremely confident that he has the Ac, I would rather checkraise huge. But if I am not 100% sure, because he could have other AxXc hands, I'd rather bet out on the river.
    This is pretty much what I thought. I lead for pot. He got pissed and folded. In hindsight I think betting like 40% of pot would be best to get crying calls from hands some people just can't lay down. And I will always be raised by the ace. He had A5.
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    Jseeley said

This is pretty much what I thought. I lead for pot. He got pissed and folded. In hindsight I think betting like 40% of pot would be best to get crying calls from hands some people just can't lay down. And I will always be raised by the ace. He had A5.
    I think staaaalin had a better thought above - you're going to make more money by betting bigger, and getting called bigger and raised bigger by the Ac, than betting $25 and getting a few more calls from aces up kinds of hands. There's just so much more money to be made against the strong part of his range by making it bigger. Your conclusion seems results oriented, IMO.
  • Jseeley Posts: 48Member
    Tyrith said
    Jseeley said

I think staaaalin had a better thought above - you're going to make more money by betting bigger, and getting called bigger and raised bigger by the Ac, than betting $25 and getting a few more calls from aces up kinds of hands. There's just so much more money to be made against the strong part of his range by making it bigger. Your conclusion seems results oriented, IMO.
    I disagree. I think if I overbet the pot some of the times he may just call with the ace or raise smaller. If I bet smaller, it looks like I'm trying to get to showdown by a club and will always be raised.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Tyrith said
    Jseeley said

+1

You need to go for gold when he has the Ac NOT when he has weaker hands that are going to fold to a raise..

ww
  • Jseeley said
    I disagree. I think if I overbet the pot some of the times he may just call with the ace or raise smaller. If I bet smaller, it looks like I'm trying to get to showdown by a club and will always be raised.
    I'm fine with leading an amount that will get called by JcX if:
    - You are confident he will raise w/ AcX very close to 100% of the time
    - He will still call a 3-bet of the same absolute size as the c/r we would make

Given player's description I didn't think this was the case, but you're the one who was at the table.

Again, I'm not really concerned about how large he'll raise as long as it reopens the betting.
    I don't think he's ever r/f w/ AcX.