Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live PLO Video No.27: Playing medium value hands exploitatively part 1

Craig Posts: 645Administrator
Part 1 of a series on playing medium strength hands postflop in PLO. This part focuses on explaining the concept of turning made hands into bluffs and then covers several examples of when to do it.

Episode Posts at 11 AM PT.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/playing-medium-value-hands-exploitatively-part-1
Tagged:

Comments

• reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    edited October 2015
    I don't understand the hand with (A9)87 on a (A9)8 board from out of position vs. a good player. You said c-bet/value bet flop is pretty standard, I get that. Then the turn brings an offsuit Q. You said hero checks, which is pretty standard.

This is the part of the hand which I don't really get. Why exactly do you say checking turn is a standard play from out of position against a good villain? Doesn't that turn our hand face up to medium showdown-ish strength? Wouldn't we continue to bet with JT and AA to get value from NFD? Doesn't checking give a good thinking villain the green light to take it away from us? Or are the good players in your player pool more passive than that? Are we checking to check/call and play the rest of the hand as a bluff catcher?

Also you never responded to my comment in the PLO podcast thread from three weeks ago.

Thanks, Chris
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    Without delving too much into a balance discussion, I did comment that we could c/r with JT hands on the turn, so if villain views a check as a green light to take it away from us, then we will gain value there.

What hands do you think we should check with in this spot?

Regarding the PLO podcast are you talking about the most recent comment? I don't have those episodes, sorry
    Aesah said:
    Without delving too much into a balance discussion, I did comment that we could c/r with JT hands on the turn, so if villain views a check as a green light to take it away from us, then we will gain value there.

What hands do you think we should check with in this spot?

Regarding the PLO podcast are you talking about the most recent comment? I don't have those episodes, sorry
    Yeah, I guess I never check JT in that spot, perhaps I should consider it against the most aggressive of my opponents.

In general, I would check hands that I'm giving up on, like KKJ3 (pair and gutter), and air balls. Do you think (A9)87 on a (A9)8Q board is equivalent to 9886? That's a hand I might check as well.

I didn't know you didn't have Sept. 11 LATB footage, figured CLP was still in contract with LATB at that time.
    edited October 2015
    Well, against the type of opponents that think you are never continuing when you check and take that as a green light to bet, then you could exploit it by checking your strongest hands

As a more general statement, whenever you think a certain line turns your hand face up and you think your opponent will try to exploit that, try to think about how you can use that to your advantage and perhaps show up with a hand that villain isn't expecting.
    Good stuff, Don, thanks! Ok, so back to my original question: why did you say checking turn is standard? Did you check with the intention of check/calling for pot control and with outs to boat up? Or were you checking with the intention of check/folding because villain would almost never bet worse for value? Thanks!
    edited October 2015
    I think c/f is pretty standard, but again on the topic of playing exploitably in live poker, we can take different lines vs. extremely overly loose/aggro opponents or different player types (I tried to include a bunch of different player type examples in my video)