Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$1/2 PLO - Not folding so just get it in?

BradleyT Posts: 621SubscriberProfessional
$1/2 PLO/PLO8 round by round - PLO round.

I have $960 and villain covers.

Preflop - UTG straddle for $5, few limps, I call from SB with QQ88 . Villain from BB makes it $25. Pretty standard for him. He can have anything from good AA down to any 4 double suited cards or even weird hands like QJ23 that he might play this way. I've played against him for about 1.5 years and his game is built around the concept of having the preflop aggression lead, 20-40% hand equity, and loads of fold equity.

3 calls and I call.

Flop ($125) - Q 5 6
Before flop is spread I say "check raise dark" because villain c-bets pretty close to 100% when he's the preflop aggressor, even in very multi-way pots. This is no exception and he pots it for $125 and it folds around to me.

He could have as little as an OESD to bottom 2 pair, gutter and bottom pair, overpair with spades, just AA without spades, so he's super wide.

Like the title says, I'm never folding vs. this guy so repot ($500) and GII ($450) on all turns? Actually he's usually going to re-pot the flop and GII if I raise.

Comments

• reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    I don't get the question...? You announced blind check/raise, flopped the nuts, and villain bet pot. Re-pot his ass, stick it in!
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    U have two 8s which block a lot of straight draws , so his get it in range is more heavy in flush draws/pair+fd. You can always hope he puts u on a draw and sticks it in with random AAxx hand.
  • BradleyT Posts: 621SubscriberProfessional
    reedmylips said:
    I don't get the question...? You announced blind check/raise, flopped the nuts, and villain bet pot. Re-pot his ass, stick it in!
    I did raise to $500 and he put me all in. Against this particular villain his range is wide enough that I'm at least 60% nearly all the time.

I was just thinking back to a podcast I listened to where Bart was talking about combo draws in NLHE but made a reference to a PLO situation where top set can be against a flush draw and a wrap and be an equity dog. Against a hand like 4789 with spades I'm a 55:45 dog but this guy is never on that tight of a GII range.

Spoiler:
    He had Q J Kx 8x - basically a naked flush draw or runner runner straight or KK. Turn is offsuit 7, river is offsuit 2 and I scoop the nearly 1000bb pot.
  • eyehaityou Posts: 288Member
    I struggle with these situations, not so Villan specific, but the concept of getting a 400-1500 bb stack in here vs any hand a Villan drives in spots like these. Granted almost all my games are 1/1 or 1/2 but your still playing pretty deep. I really question if the varience is worth the smaller equity edge we may(or may not have) in situations like this. I could be oversensitive after getting scooped a couple times in nfd/nld vs top set in the last month for 1000+bb pots but it never hurts to question myself.
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    edited October 2015
    BradleyT said:
    reedmylips said:
    I did raise to $500 and he put me all in. Against this particular villain his range is wide enough that I'm at least 60% nearly all the time.

I was just thinking back to a podcast I listened to where Bart was talking about combo draws in NLHE but made a reference to a PLO situation where top set can be against a flush draw and a wrap and be an equity dog. Against a hand like 4789 with spades I'm a 55:45 dog but this guy is never on that tight of a GII range.

Spoiler:
    He had Q J Kx 8x - basically a naked flush draw or runner runner straight or KK. Turn is offsuit 7, river is offsuit 2 and I scoop the nearly 1000bb pot.
    It is true, vs. exactly a wrap/flush draw combo you're a dog, like 45/55 or something close to that. But like you said, for him to have that hand, he has to have all four cards working, giving him only a couple of combos of those hands - whereas he has HUNDREDS of other combos of hands that are FD/BDSD, FD/gutter, FD/pair, FD/overpair, naked NFD, OESD/pair, naked OESD, middle set, bottom set, naked overpair.

Way to follow through with the check/raise even though it made a GIGANTIC pot with naked top set and you were a little nervous getting it in. Enjoy PLO! :lol:
  • firespitter Posts: 243Subscriber
    Never wrong to get it in with nut top set. It's possible to be a dog (even on the turn!) but those situations are very rare, and you can be massively ahead vs middle sets. And if you are in a situation where you're up against the massive draw is there a better way to play it? Will you know exactly which cards make your opponents hand?