Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Forum Question

BartBart Posts: 6,080AdministratorLeadPro
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I'm considering opening the forum strategy area up to non-subscribers that create a detailed, free member profile. I feel like this community is very tight as is and am really happy with the content and thoughts that are written here. What are your views about outsiders coming in?

Bart

Comments

• bobo1384 Posts: 145Subscriber
    go for it
  • eselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    Personally, I think the quality will degrade. 2+2 is the obvious example, but I also think the advice etc, in the forums at Deuces Cracked have gone downhill over time.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I think the trollers will come
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    The paywall stops people who don't care and just want to be degenerate message board jerks from messing around.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I can see both sides : free advertising vs possible downgrade in quality. Personally I like it restricted to paying customers. No trolls, honest responses, more accountability. It's currently a nice side benefit of being a subscriber. Plus: who can't afford $10/mo?
  • Jseeley Posts: 48Member
    Maybe a 30 day trial? I just fear that once it's opened up even if it turns for the worse it will never be close.
  • shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    I prefer the member pre-requisite -- selects for people that are serious and thoughtful enough to subscribe/study the game and have a common understanding -- makes the forum unique and differentiated from others, plus I agree that this is why trolling is kept to a minimum.

However I can understand if Bart would like additional avenues to attract people to the site and increase membership. One idea -- how about keeping the members-only sections as is, but having one additional new forum that allows non-members and members to comment? Allows non-members to participate and get a sense, and if they like it, actually creates more incentive for them to join than if the whole forum were opened up. The members-only forums would continue unchanged.
  • napncrash Posts: 177Subscriber
    I would be devastated if this forum began to degrade. 2 plus 2 is a shit show and nearly impossible to find what you're looking for. This is exactly what I've wanted for years.
  • RecreationalRogerRecreationalRoger Posts: 789Subscriber
    Bart

I'm leaning slightly against. Same reasons as everyone else. I feel like here I get 3-4 good responses to a question, whereas on 2+2 I get 20+ that I have to wade through to find the 3-4 good responses.

Having said that, you're running a business obviously, if you feel the need to expand, maybe schmeds idea of a separate forum for non paying customers might be the way to split the difference.

Or maybe another idea if you're trying to get more subscribers, is to try a reduced rate the first month (maybe half off), and then auto renew them full price month 2. That might expand your subscriber base easily without turning the forums into a troll fest.

Roger
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,146Subscriber
    I feel like I "know" posters in this forum, like it is actually a community. We all have the same background knowledge (your training materials) and are all serious about improving our game, at least serious enough to subscribe to training material. Non-members can still read the forums, and if they like what they say, they can subscribe to the sight and post.

Please keep it that way. Thanks!
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    Agree with all of the above comments re: this turning in to 2+2. I would rather see the forum restricted to members only. As RML mentioned, if people like it, they can subscribe. I would hate to have to close a post that I make with "flame away" like many people do on 2+2.
  • Wouldn't do it. 2p2 is full of trolls and I feel that the posters here actually care about their game and discussing poker in an intelligent and respectful manner.
  • TJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    I'm also opposed. As stated above, this is what I've been looking for, where flaming and trolling aren't really present, and I can have a quality discussion. Also, with a bunch of non-members posting around, Bart, you'd have to wade through more posts and wouldn't have as much time for us. Cool