Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

flopped flush in BB in limped pot

1/3 at Bellagio in Vegas. Effective stacks are $250. Villain is 30ish British guy. Only hand we played together previously he limped in late position. Flop came A high with 2 clubs. I bet my weak ace and he called. Turn was a 2nd ace and I bet my trips and he called. River I checked and called a bet in case he was bluffing missed clubs to be shown AQo.

Pot limped 5 ways i have 84 of hearts in BB. Flop is K62hhh. I lead flop for 10. Folds to villain in the cutoff and he raises to 35. What to do next?

Comments

• shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    I probably call, and check fold turn. In addition to flushes that beat me, I think FDs are definitely in his raising range, as well as sets. If turn goes check check, then I value bet/fold river.
  • BartBart Posts: 6,080AdministratorLeadPro
    David,

Welcome to the forums. I don't think your hand is strong enough to bet 3 bet--I'd call raise. On the turn you can really gauge his hand strength through sizing. IF he bombs it I'd call turn and check fold river. If it is a small bet I'd either check raise really small or call and bet fold river.

Bart
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    When I'm less then 100BB deep and have a flush my only thought is how to get all my money in as quickly as possible. First I would bet flop bigger - at least pot but more often overbet it. You can do it cause they can easily put you on a pair+FD or 2 pair type of the hand which doesn't want to see another card and happy to pick up pot on the flop. NFD, pair+FD, sets are not folding.
    When raised I would just ship I think. It's a bit big but I just can't see how I can balance other sizes with bluffs.
  • BartBart Posts: 6,080AdministratorLeadPro
    Why would we ever need to balance our play in limped pots with monotone boards? We are not playing poker in a Sklansky book this is $1/$3 at Bellagio.

Bart
    Bart said
    Why would we ever need to balance our play in limped pots with monotone boards? We are not playing poker in a Sklansky book this is $1/$3 at Bellagio.
    Bart
    Of course we want to make most exploitable, most unbalanced plays we can get away with cause they would be have most EV. But lets compare two thought processes:
    1. "I have big hand. The most profitable is to bluff small and value bet big so in this case I shove."
    2. "To be balanced in this spot I need to have bluffs and value hands in my range. How much would I bet with balanced range? Let's say X. In this case I'm betting for value so how much more then X I can bet? My opponents in this game are not paying any attention to bet sizes so I can bet as big as I want. Shove "
    Results here same, but it's way easier to adjust to tougher opponents when using second one. When you always thinking about GTO plays you won't have any problem moving up stakes in the future.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    TDF

You are obviously a great player. But at these smaller games and especially in a transient location like Vegas you just dont need to balance anything. no one is paying attention. I would say that maybe 1 player in a couple of hours might notice.. but then that person is not who you are trying to play against.

If I was playing in a bigger game like 5-10 or 10/20 and I played with these players every day then I think balancing your range is important.

ww
  • Call, then call a reasonable bet on the turn. If he bets small on turn, get it in. On the river I may consider folding to a ship.
    Thehammah said
    TDF

You are obviously a great player.
    Thanks, but it's not true :(
    If I was playing in a bigger game like 5-10 or 10/20 and I played with these players every day then I think balancing your range is important.
    But how do you get there to play 5-10 or 10-20? Thinking about GTO plays not going to hurt you when you play any stakes. You will just get good at it. You should use GTO like your reference point and then decide how far your opponents will let you swing away from GTO. This way you will be using the same thought process at any stakes and moving up will be easy.