Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Turn dark checks screw with my head

UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
What do you guys usually do on the river when your opponents call a substantial turn bet on a drawy board and check the river dark? And how do you proceed on they river if you have:
a) You were bluffing and the draw came in
b) You were bluffing and the draw missed
c) You have a made hand you were betting for value and the draw came in

If you had a made hand you were betting for value and the draw bricked, you'd probably continue betting for value. And if you had the draw and you hit it, you'd bet the river for value. But what about these other times?

When someone check/calls turn on a somewhat drawy board and checks river dark, it screws me up on the river. I value bet less thinly, because sometimes I think they're checking a draw dark and will either c/f river if they miss or c/r if they hit. I also bluff less if I was barreling the turn, because I feel like they're using it as a mechanism to slow me down but really have no intention of folding the river.

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    This is more often then not a weak play. Treat is as such..
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Ok, but even if it's a weak play, how often should we be trying to bluff someone who makes this play? Are we more likely to get calls or folds if we bet after someone checks dark in these spots?

Block betting the river OOP is a weak play too, but I don't really like bluff raising when fish do it because they get stubborn and call anyway.
  • Jseeley Posts: 48Member
    People that check dark are usually bad players. I wouldn't be trying to bluff them a whole lot.
  • TJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    Treat it as a regular check, until you see evidence to the contrary. Just continue with your plan on the river as if they had checked normally. I think if you let it get inside your head, you're letting them achieve their goal. People have this idea that if they check dark, they are forcing you to play out of position. While there is *some* merit to that in *some* cases, I think the best play in general is to treat it like a regular check, again, until you know otherwise.

I do have one donk in my games who does this, but when he does it, he *100% always* has a flush draw. He doesn't even do it with straight draws. So it makes him REALLY easy to play against.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Basically, a dark check in this spot instills a certain kind of paranoia against betting for me. Which means I'm letting these guys accomplish exactly what they're trying to. Even if I try to ignore it and treat it as a normal check, like a check pre-flop after they call a raise from the blinds, it's hard not to overthink the situation.
  • TJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    I get that. You just have to be honest with yourself. Don't overthink against fish. Ask yourself what you would have done if they had checked normally, and do it. You do know what you would have done -- just don't lie to yourself. :-)