Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Isolation question

Qw3Rtzui0p Posts: 36Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hello, im little bit confused in isolation..

I play mostly loose passive game where people so much limp / call...
Unfortunately it is a capped game 1/2 max 200€. And lot of people arent have a enough chips.. So my question is about ranges and stacksizes..

Im making iso raises mostly in CO a BU.. And i want to have a high card value mostly.. Depends on stacksizes..
I just saw that lot of people are making mistakes like they are bad setmining, bad calling with connectors and card, that they like..

Im pretty confident in spots, where I can make a double barrel and dont be commited against player, but what, when the stack sizes arent so deep?

Comments

• staaaaalin Posts: 42Member
    Raise smaller preflop and make more delayed c-bets, especially on boards you would typically double barrel a lot like T84r.
    Balance this by checking your medium-strength one-pair hands OTF and then going for two streets.
    Don't worry about getting bluff-raised when you cap your range like this, players at this level will not properly adjust.
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    I don't see point in opening smaller PF. Unless we are getting 3bet light. If they are making mistake by calling too wide PF then you can increase that mistake by raising larger. Bigger mistake they make - more money you win. For example if they limp/calling 54s we want to open T8o IP as big as they would call.
  • TJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    But why bloat the pot? The deeper the stacks, the bigger advantage we have. Wouldn't it make more sense to give up a small edge preflop for a larger edge postflop?
    TJ said
    But why bloat the pot?postflop?
    To play bigger pot IP.

Wouldn't it make more sense to give up a small edge preflop for a larger edge postflop?
    No because preflop happens way more often and smaller EV will accumulate into more money than bigger but rare postflop EV over time.
    TDF said

I don't see point in opening smaller PF. Unless we are getting 3bet light. If they are making mistake by calling too wide PF then you can increase that mistake by raising larger. Bigger mistake they make - more money you win. For example if they limp/calling 54s we want to open T8o IP as big as they would call.
    Because a range that contains T8o isn't that far ahead of one that contains 54s, and the rake is a bitch.
    By raising smaller you are able to widen your range and present yourself with more opportunities to exercise a larger edge on later streets.
    Though if they fold to one barrel frequently enough I'm all for it.
    staaaaalin said
    Because a range that contains T8o isn't that far ahead of one that contains 54s, and the rake is a bitch.
    Are you saying we should open smaller cause our range is weak? I don't think so. We can afford to have weak range cause we are making up for it by having positional and skills advantage.

By raising smaller you are able to widen your range and present yourself with more opportunities to exercise a larger edge on later streets.
    There's only one problem with opening large with a wider range - it's super exploitable by light 3betting. But fish can't figure it out. They adjust by calling you wider and try to outflop you playing fit-or-fold postflop cause pot is big and your cbets are "big" for them to continue calling light postflop.

Though if they fold to one barrel frequently enough I'm all for it.
    What if they fold too much to second barrel? Open big, bet, ship or check, bet, ship. They hate to go broke with weak hands. More money they put in PF, bigger pot you win postflop.
    TDF said
    Are you saying we should open smaller cause our range is weak? I don't think so. We can afford to have weak range cause we are making up for it by having positional and skills advantage.
    I am absolutely saying this. If we are going to enter a pot with a weaker range because we are in position we want to be able to make maximum use of that positional advantage. This is accomplished by keeping SPR high.

There's only one problem with opening large with a wider range - it's super exploitable by light 3betting. But fish can't figure it out. They adjust by calling you wider and try to outflop you playing fit-or-fold postflop cause pot is big and your cbets are "big" for them to continue calling light postflop.
    I've been experimenting with just c-betting over pot when I know I'm going to barrel.
    You end up with the same or larger pot size when your double barrel works, and you can just give up on that JxTy8y with only your smaller preflop raise invested.

What if they fold too much to second barrel? Open big, bet, ship or check, bet, ship. They hate to go broke with weak hands. More money they put in PF, bigger pot you win postflop.
    As the OP said, he's not seeing the folds he's looking for without being able to leverage the threat of a third barrel.
    Yours is generally my philosophy as well, but not the one I would apply in this specific situation.
    But then the NL games I play are almost all uncapped.