Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

All in shove vs my QQ

kdogmc Posts: 100Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
The Villain I've played with before but I don't remember him well. Maybe once or twice. He was quiet. So no real reads.

He is older, married. He has raised several times to 25 in a 2/5 game. And I remember thinking it felt fairly often. I do remember he popped

it up with A10 off. He showed 2/4 on a 2/4/K board. I believe he limped with 2/4. Effective stack 5-600

6 handed.

I have QQ otb.

He raises utg to 25. I smooth call. I felt I was ahead of his range and wanted to make money on his bluffs.

Board 234 rainbow. He bets 25 I call 25.

Turn 6. He bets 50, I raise to 130 ( 50 plus 80 ).

He thinks for a second and shoves another 320 on top.

Call, fold?

Comments

• JohnnyBest Posts: 33Subscriber
    Just because he raises a lot doesn't mean that he doesn't have it. I would expect his range here to be something like AA, KK, AK, QQ (not likely), JJ, TT, 99, 88, 77, 66, 55, 44, 33, 22; 45s, 56s; A5s, A4s, A3s, or A2s. Many players nowadays will raise UTG with all pocket pairs, especially small ones. Your only beating JJ, TT, 99, 88, 77, and AK. Though AK can hit an A or K on the river to win. I would say that without further information, this is a clear fold. If you knew more about him, or how he thinks about your play and you as a player, then you could make a better decision as to whether or not to look him up.

Your main problem here is that your opponent's hand is ill defined. Why not re-raise him? You have position, and probably the best hand. If he re-raises you then it's thinking time. If he flats, you are probably ahead. If he folds, you still make $32. By flatting, you give him a chance to catch lucky. By raising, you make him pay for the privilege and can even let your hand go to a large 4-bet when he has AA or KK.

For now, make a note of his play. Next time, try smooth calling with a smaller pocket pair or small suited connector and trap him by calling twice and then raising the turn like you did here. If he's a thinking player or predictable he may shove again and you can snap call with the nuts or close to it. Hope this helps.

- John
  • Qw3Rtzui0p Posts: 36Member
    I would raise preflop.. He isnt capable of folding most of his holdings against three bet.. He likes his hand that much, that he raises it. And he WANTS to see a flop with hands like KJ /KQ /AJ /AQ and most overpairs, I think he could call any suited brodways and we ARE GETTING VALUE, from these holdings, because these players arent mostly capable of folding and top pair or smaller overpair..

So I would 3 bet him to 75 and go for value postflop..
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    Unless you have specific reads, people don't bluff enough to make money on picking up bluffs. But people do call way to often, so concentrating on value betting is more profitable.
  • jmc Posts: 58Member
    The board is 4326 -- read your hand from your opponent's perspective.

You could have easily flatted preflop with A5, 54, 65, 44,33,22,66,55 and now have a straight or a set.
    His turn bet/3-bet is telling you that his hand is doing JUST FINE vs. your potentially very strong range. Without some read that your opponent is completely nutty I'd think this is a fairly standard fold.
  • ricks5550ricks5550 Posts: 40Member
    3 bet pre

bomb flop
  • I think raising this turn is pretty much a disaster in that no worse hands will call and the only better hands you might fold are aces and kings. I think most sets will call you even with the 4-card straight. If you were to play this hand, everywhere you flat called you should raise and where you raised you should probably fold.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    Preflop, both 3betting and flatcalling are fine. Flatcalling is superior if he has a very narrow openraising range from early position.
    The same goes for the flop.
    If you decided to only call both pre and on the flop, I don't see the reason why you are raising the turn now. If he's laggy, I'd rather raise on an earlier street. If he's tight, I'd rather call again.

As played, you have to fold. He's not reraising with a hand you can beat often enough, unless he's absolutely clueless.