Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

How to play AK

the game is 2-5 600 cap
I on losing session lost all my big pers
all my AK.
I'm on the cutoff with AK off check to me I bet 25$ .
ander the gun 're rise to 85$ his stack is 400$ my is 250$ after losing 1000$
this is my last many.
how do I play????????

Comments

• deadinaditchdeadinaditch Posts: 205Subscriber
    There's some missing info in there but I'm going to assume that UTG limped and that it folded around to you. I'm also assuming that your $250 is behind (after the $25 raise) so you've got exactly 50bb remaining. Also missing is any info on villains tendencies, that' Important here.

A limp RR (especially UTG is usually indicative of a really big hand, specifically Aces and if villain is 90 years old and wearing a USS Missouri cap that's what he has, always, I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME! Sure you're getting 2:1 to call but that's not nearly enough to continue. FOLD

But sometimes a limp RR can mean that the villain has a strong but vulnerable hand JJ-KK, AK, probably not AQs but doesn't want to play OOP, (out of position) the raise is more of a panic reaction than a trap. The problem here is that if you just call you're going to have to hit your hand on the flop to win the pot. There just aren't enough combinations of hands on the lower part of his range to fold to many non Ace or King high flops and even if you do hit you still can't be sure you're ahead. IMO Calling is bad even getting 2:1

Could you raise? Maybe a min raise to kick the tires? Surley if he has Aces or Kings he'll RR and then you'll know, right? Well yes, but that's a pretty expensive lesson and if you do raise to say $145 and he shoves you'd still be getting 2:1 odds to call with AK. Such an awkward stack size. Don't raise, raising sucks.

Can you shove? Under certain, very specific conditions, I think you can. One of the benefits of playing with a short stack (50bb is a short stack) is that you're decisions are often very black and white and that's not a bad thing for inexperienced players facing a tough experienced opponent. If your opponent seems like the type that might make a play, or put you to the test then shoving back is a viable alternative. The pot is $116 and you've got $250 behind so your Stack to Pot Ratio is a little over 2:1. With such a low SPR and an opponent with a sufficiently wide range, shoving can never be that bad. That's not to say it's good, it's just not horrible and given the way the hand played out this is my prefered line.

But let's revisit the way the hand did play out. I think some of the problems we faced were do to actions you took preflop and even before the hand began. You put yourself in a very awkward position by 1) Playing with half a stack, and 2) making such a large (5x) preflop raise. You might think that playing with a short stack is somehow protecting yourself from losing too much in one hand, and to some degree that's true, but more often than not it puts you in a position where you're forced to play a bigger pot than you're comfortable with due to irresistible pot odds. If you had raised 3-4x preflop with a full (100bb stack), his 3x RR would have been $45-$65 and effective stacks would have been about $400, folding preflop would have been a trivial decision, as would calling provided you're confident enough in your post-flop play to get away from a bad situation. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the larger the effective stack are the more flexibility you have in your decision making. Your actions become more less stack dependent and more situationally dependent.

I hope I didn't go too far off the track with this. GL and Merry Christmas.