Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Mississippi Straddle

gilks Posts: 14Subscriber
edited December 2015 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I'll be playing at the Hard Rock in Hollywood Fl this weekend.

Where I typically play, they only allow straddle from under the gun. Not quite sure how to play optimally in a place that let's you straddle from any position.

My understanding is that the player who straddles in the latest position becomes the straddler. So if I am cutoff and the hijack straddles, I act first preflop unless I decide to straddle.

I'll be playing 2/5 with a $600 cap. My question is, if I am in middle to late position and the guy to my right straddles, should I always take the straddle so that I am not acting first preflop?

Comments

• FreeLunch Posts: 1,308Pro
    Im assuming NLH. If PLO then yes straddle in position all the time. In NLH I think its bad for the game because it forces the early position players to tighten up. Therefore if not straddling influences others I will not straddle. If everyone else is straddling then always do it in late position.

There are some exceptions based on your position relative to a maniac, but you will figure that all out and this post is probably too late for you anyway.
  • MrFizzbinMrFizzbin Posts: 356Subscriber
    Generally the rule is the person in the worst position gets the straddle.

It's generally a bad idea to straddle in 100 BB games because you wind up playing bigger. If your cap is 200, you have a $5 straddle, raise is 3 or 4 X so now with 4 callers the pot is 60-80 on the flop someone makes a pot size bet suddenly it's all in on turn.

• lauxen Posts: 95Subscriber
    MrFizzbin said:
    Generally the rule is the person in the worst position gets the straddle.

It's generally a bad idea to straddle in 100 BB games because you wind up playing bigger. If your cap is 200, you have a $5 straddle, raise is 3 or 4 X so now with 4 callers the pot is 60-80 on the flop someone makes a pot size bet suddenly it's all in on turn.

I've played quite a few hours at HRH, and to my knowledge, the best position gets the straddle priority. Even if this isn't the official rule, I've seen dealers enforce it this way more than once at this location.

I will echo the sentiment that it's usually just a bad idea in a capped game. As thinking players, we gain our edge from large SPRs and excellent postflop play. Artificially halving the stack sizes from 100bb to 50bb doesn't usually help better players unless they're table captain and playing laggy, imo.