Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

YOU CAN VALUE BET THE RIVER THINNER WHEN YOUR OPPONENT IS GOING TO GET GOOD POT ODDS

Rohan ChandraJuvvadi Posts: 1Member
edited November -1 in Crush Live Poker Articles
Great article. However, I have my reservations on when to value bet thin. This would surely work on weaker players but dont think it would be that effective against players that are good at hand reading. I play 2/5NL and have recently started bluff raising/ value raising river when I perceive that my opponent is value betting thin. So far it has worked 90% of the time and bumped up my hourly considerably.

For instance, in the a9hh example from the article, a good player would obviously recognize the thin value bet and exploit this especially in a deep stacked game. Now, what if your opponent raises to $650 on the river? he could easily be repping 98/108 for a rivered two pair putting us in a very sticky spot. There could be an argument that our opponent would lead out with two pair but since we have shown considerable strength both on the flop and river and there have been a few missed draws, checking here with the intention of raising is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Long story short, I think value betting thin (to give pot odds) against a good opponent gives away a lot of information about our hand.