Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 24s oop

Bjrschool Posts: 23Subscriber
edited January 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I'm in a 2/5 game with a 1k cap. I've only shown down 2 hands that I recall. AQ that I 3 bet preflop and bet all 3 streets and chopped on a Q high board. And an all in preflop with KK vs AA.
The villain in this hand sat down with about 800. Moved from another table. LP limped in and the villain raised to 15 on the button. I have 24hh in the small blind and decide to 3 bet to 45. I think I can pick up the $25 in there a fair amount of the time with such a small raise and my initial impression is that the button is pretty fit or fold. The BB cold calls about 1k stack, the limper folds and the button comes along. The flop is A23 with 2 clubs. I lead out for 90 with the intention of shutting down if I do not improve. The BB folds and the button calls. Suit distribution matters IMO, as the ace is not a club. The turn is the 5d making 2 flush draws. I bet $175. He calls. But his pacing is such that I think he does not have a flush draw unless he has Ax clubs and is thinking of raising. The river Th. He has about $500 left and the pot is 670. What's a good sizing?
If he's deeper then I think I bet around 325-350. But I think this looks super valueish with his stack. But I think shoving is an over bet. I think these are spots that I lose a lot of value because I usually bet too much and don't get called. Anything on all streets is appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    Well shoving isn't an over bet because there is less than pot left, but i guess you mean its an over bet in the sense you think that it is too big.

I mean i'm not really scared of the heart i just think that he makes it less likely we get called. However we still have a very disguised straight in a 3bet pot so i think we can just shove. Yea maybe he calls 250 more often but does he really call it twice as much? This is when you have to know your player and how he plays when faced with a decision for all his money.
    Another thing. I would highly consider going for a turn c/r, especially if V will bet his FDs.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,391Subscriber
    edited January 2016
    So, I do not mind three betting from the small blind to pick up the "dead money", but I do not like your sizing to do so. Given that plenty of players like to call 3 bets, I would size this bet larger. It is clearly a bluff.

When the V called, what range did you assign to him? If it were me, I would start with Ax and PP. You hit a 2, but you basically have air. Your flop cbet is called and you state you're going to shut down if unimproved. The 5 helps, but ask yourself how much does it really help you? I think barreling the turn is a little spewy, but if you thought he ws on a flush draw, I suppose you found your answer. If he is fit/fold, he is not calling the turn with a FD. He is very Ace heavy. By the way I hate your turn bet size, you have practically married this guy to his hand.

The only hope you have to get him off his Ace is to shove, but I think this is just a false dream. You're better off check folding and reconsidering why you poured $300 into a pot trying to pick up $25.
    edited January 2016
    Arenzano said:
    So, I do not mind three betting from the small blind to pick up the "dead money", but I do not like your sizing to do so. Given that plenty of players like to call 3 bets, I would size this bet larger. It is clearly a bluff.

When the V called, what range did you assign to him? If it were me, I would start with Ax and PP. You hit a 2, but you basically have air. Your flop cbet is called and you state you're going to shut down if unimproved. The 5 helps, but ask yourself how much does it really help you? I think barreling the turn is a little spewy, but if you thought he ws on a flush draw, I suppose you found your answer. If he is fit/fold, he is not calling the turn with a FD. He is very Ace heavy. By the way I hate your turn bet size, you have practically married this guy to his hand.

The only hope you have to get him off his Ace is to shove, but I think this is just a false dream. You're better off check folding and reconsidering why you hoped poured $300 into a pot trying to pick up $25.
    It gives us a straight.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,391Subscriber
    stayinschool said:
    Arenzano said:

The only hope you have to get him off his Ace is to shove, but I think this is just a false dream. You're better off check folding and reconsidering why you hoped poured $300 into a pot trying to pick up $25.
    It gives us a straight.
    lol, I totally misread. my bad
  • Bjrschool Posts: 23Subscriber
    stayinschool said:
    Another thing. I would highly consider going for a turn c/r, especially if V will bet his FDs.
    He was an older player, probably in his 60's. If he was younger I would've considered. I think this guy would pay off 2 more streets with aces up but happily check back his entire range on the turn.
    Bjrschool said:
    stayinschool said:
    He was an older player, probably in his 60's. If he was younger I would've considered. I think this guy would pay off 2 more streets with aces up but happily check back his entire range on the turn.
    Makes sense. NH
  • stayinschool said:
    Arenzano said:

It gives us a straight.
    LOL. Yeah it does help a bit.

• Anyway, shove.

1. Give up on the flop. Your 2 is nearly worthless and your cb is likely getting called 3-way. I think you got got lucky when you binked the turn.

2. I got a question on your the hand selection for the 3bet. Are you 3-betting a polarized range and 42s is the garbage end of it? Why did you choose 42s as opposed to something with better equity and playability such 76s or 97s or even 96s?