Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Weird river check raise would you call?

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
You almost never see a river bluff raise.. Was curious what y'all think ...

I am relatively new to the table. its a 3/5 100-300 game and I am waiting for a 5/5 NL game. One limper and I am in co.. I raise to 20 bb calls limper calls. I have never seen either player before.

Flop comes J86 two hearts.. ch to me and I make a cbet for 50..only the original limper calls.

Turn 9h .. well thats pretty much one of the worst barrel cards for me.. he checks I check..

River.. Ad.. he checks again.. So I bet 65 for value.. and now he raises to 130.. I just think this is pretty much a straight or better right? very weird that he checked to me .. most players would lead on this river.. but who knows.. I folded..

ww

Comments

• LOLshoveaments Posts: 10Member
    What was your hand?
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    Wendy, it's actually kind of cool that you didn't disclose your hand, intentionally or not. The interesting question is:
    What's the worst hand we are calling with in this spot?
    Check-raises on the river are very nutted most of the time, so without any further reads it's probably a good idea to fold everything but very decent flushes (J high and better maybe). On the other hand, it's pretty obvious that you can never have the flush, and the Ace is a good barrel card. For this reason, I would consider calling with straights and better in this specific spot.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Sorry.. I had AQ..

So many players ESPECIALLY at the 100-300 just would lead that river when they have a flush.. He has never seen me before.. unless he knows who I am how can he be so sure I would bet that river for value? Thats what so weird about this. Given this I actually think he is more likely to have the straight than the flush.. but who the hell knows.. His min raise just screams value and since I cant beat anything of value other than AT can he really be raising me with worse? I didnt think so and yet again I fold to a river raise.. Frown

I spoke to Bart and he suggested I barrel more cards on the turn that what you would normally think would be good . This is simply due to my image.. but I keep getting such wet boards and the worst turn cards for me are any T Q 7 9 or 8 hearts.. 4 cards out of 45.. bink right there.. I guess I could have bet 65 on the turn and shut it down? but $65 doesnt seem like enough really.. I am only 300 deep and betting $100 puts me in the danger zone.. funky stack size...

ww
  • Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 578Subscriber
    I think the fact that this game is capped so small makes it very awkward. I think also, in these lower buy in games the players don't think on the same level but this is still a nutty type raise or a really weird bluff. Without any other info, I would fold as your hand looks like AK/AQ since you may have bet/folded the turn with AJ.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Hmm, you suppose he had aces up and thought you would bet and call with a big A?

Your hand is pretty face-up here, but I have a hard time thinking it's a bluff if it's a min-raise. Against an unknown, it's probably not a bluff
  • JerseyJay Posts: 181Subscriber
    I will play less than value hands whlie card dead to keep from having a nitty image. Im probably breakeven doingnthis on these particular hands, but i believe it keeps me getting paid for my value hands, and keeps my opponents guessing. I just tend to loosen up preflop and flop, or in small pots. When the money gets in big, i tend to not be light or guessing, hopefully. Good topic.
  • SKOOSKOO Posts: 160Subscriber
    That turn card smacks his limp/ck/calling range right in the face. Say you bet the turn and get raised you will fold quickly. The river was a dream card for him which is why I think he would ck hoping for a value bet. Terrible way to think, but its my assumption. Folding is easy on the river. It really screams hey I beat TP but I'm gonna price you in for lulz