Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Episode 11/23.2012

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,086Subscriber
edited November -1 in Broadcasted Poker
Ok let me have it. I was so close to pulling the trigger on Sujit when he check raised me when I had the 99s against his AK... I am a f***ng coward!...lol..

I just felt he had nothing.. He was in late position so is he checking with a pair better than mine? NO.. he is loose enough to bet a monster in that spot too.. So I felt he had AK specifically but given my stack size he had to call my all in.. Now I have 75% equity roughly but I just chickened out since I seem to lose all the big pots..

boo!

I am getting there in my confidence in my game but not quite yet..

Wendy

Comments

• grindbler Posts: 131Member
    at 5/5 youre fine just playing fundamentally sound non-fancy poker while your opponents arent.
    this is how you 'outplay' them.
    math poker gets the $ in the long-run, not 'feel' poker, imo. having a feeling isnt good enough reason to justify a play.
    even if you did continue in the hand, i would prefer to see a call as youre not getting called by worse when you raise,
    and you give him the opportunity to continue barrelling on later streets.
    Of course, if youre image is rocked up enough, he will either
    1] totally shut down as soon as you call (when he misses) depending on his tendencies and his perceived image of you, or
    2] try to barrel you off a pair because he sees you as not going to the felt without a set or something comparable. In this case, you will want to have a hand that you are good with not folding much later; the key is looking at the relative value of your hand vs. the absolute value. If you decide that 99 is good vs. his range, and that if he happens to have top pair, Q, then good for him, youre going with it anyways. If an A or K comes off you can re-evaluate depending on the action...

i don't think folding the flop is at all bad. could be youre falling a bit into results oriented thinking having seen the hand on vid now?

weighting his range twds AK is fine, 'putting him on' AK, meh.

don't go on 'tight tilt'. playing tight is correct at a loose table, and don't be deceived by the dust collecting on your stack while everyone elses is going up and down like an elevator. It might look like they are winning, but don't be fooled. its hard for them to fade playing too many hands in the long run, no matter how good you see them running now.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,086Subscriber
    I wasn't just "feeling" he had AK the line he took was either nothing or a monster. Since he is an action player in position its just not very likely he has a monster. So what could he have that he raised so much preflop? I thought AK likely. The key thing was that he was second to last to act and checked.. I think that is what really defines his range.

I don't think a call would be good since I would be pot committed with only $300 left and a pot of $800..

I think I either have to fold or shove... then let him call of with AK his most likely holding. Now he could could maybe maybe have a hand like Tens but I really think he cbets with pretty much any pair in my opinion. He is that type of player.

I think he checked because Harry was in the pot and likely to peel very lightly. But you saw that Harry actually folded bottom pair against me. He thinks of me as a nit and capable of stacking off against him. Thats why I buy in for $500 and not $1000 this really limits Harrys ability to put pressure on my on later streets.

So When both harry and the other player folded I think Sujit just thought he would make a play. Given his line I am almost always good and I think I should shove to make him put in the last $300 while I have 75% equity.

I just chickened out.

Now his line might actually be a monster if he was a NIT or a player I have seen check a set. Sujit I just dont think would in that spot. So his range is really AK and pairs smaller than 9s and I am doing rather well against that range..

Wendy
    ya, didn't recall the stack sizes.
    you're committed once you start putting in more $ on the flop, and he would be priced in w/ AK, so shipping it is obv fine if thats how youre weighting his range.
    sometimes its pretty glaring that they don't have AA or KK (QQ/AQ), in which case 99 is pretty much the nuts; and they arent likely playing JJ/TT like this.
    maybe its just me, but i'm leery of the 'i put you on AK' meme.
    sometimes you can weight someones range to one or maybe two hands. (ie. a 4-bet from a nit is AA).
    like you said, in this spot he can have pretty equivalent hands like small pairs that you are crushing in his range besides AK/ AJ/ KJ type hands.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,086Subscriber
    grindbler said

ya, didn't recall the stack sizes.
    you're committed once you start putting in more $ on the flop, and he would be priced in w/ AK, so shipping it is obv fine if thats how youre weighting his range.
    sometimes its pretty glaring that they don't have AA or KK (QQ/AQ), in which case 99 is pretty much the nuts; and they arent likely playing JJ/TT like this.
    maybe its just me, but i'm leery of the 'i put you on AK' meme.
    sometimes you can weight someones range to one or maybe two hands. (ie. a 4-bet from a nit is AA).
    like you said, in this spot he can have pretty equivalent hands like small pairs that you are crushing in his range besides AK/ AJ/ KJ type hands.
    The part I can be really happy about is that I put him on the right range. I just knew he would be priced in to call and would and that I would have to avoid the overcards.. I hope I can feel confident enough to not be scared about that but I still am. Guess thats the nit in me..

A few months ago I would have folded immediately but you saw I was really torn. I could hear my inner Hammah saying "All in" but I shut her up!.. then I waited too long and he would have snap called..

boo...Embarassed
    you can do well as a perceived nit when you invite players to make plays like this vs. you because they see you as risk adverse.
    It happens to me when i fold for 2 hours straight and then come into a pot and someone invariably makes a move, which is really a poor adjustment on their part when youre not really risk adverse, youre just playing correctly. to them it looks RA because they play way too many hands themselves;
    then you snap them off w/ your marginal holding. (which is actually nutted in relative value, not absolute value).
    when i see someone as tight as i am the last thing i want to do is push them out of the only pot theyve been in in hours.
    with others its the first thing they want to do, which is not disciplined poker.

I don't mind the fold regardless of your intuition. if he actually showed you AK, it's a fist pump shove because you have him crushed equity wise. poker players drool over 60% equity, and 75% is huge. it's hard to get it in better IMO.
    It's gross when you make a 'feel' play and it ends up being fundamentally a bad one, and they show you top pair, Q.
    look at what youre opponents are doing poorly that you are doing correctly, and focus on exploiting that.
    making good 'feel' plays doesnt qualify as something that you, or anyone is doing better than their opponents in the longrun that is getting them the $.

-grindbler aka ghostSpot