Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$5/$10 Whats your play with top two turn check raise?

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,089Subscriber
I am playing at the Commerce $5/$10 1500 buy in. I doubled up my very first hand and at one point had $3300 in front of me. I have been mini sucked out on a couple of pots and now have around $2500 and villain has about $2000...Villain is a younger asian kid I have never played with before. He hasnt played many hands at all. that is all I know about him...

My image is probably neutral to a little positive. I raise utg with A J I get 4 callers.. Pot $210 ish

Flop A J 7 I lead out for $115 folds to the bb and he calls..

Pot $540 4 bb checks I bet $240 villain tanks and raises to $600....

hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• FuzzyDunlop Posts: 139Subscriber
    edited February 2016
    Given we have the A it rules out top pair picking up spades and the sizing gives the impression that he is not looking for fold equity but that he is looking for value. There are 2 combos of A7 suited and 2 of A4 suited (assuming he will play these hands from the BB to a raise), there are 4 sets assuming JJ doesn't 3 bet pre, and there are 4 combos of AJ. So we are either way ahead, way behind or chopping.

With no history and practically no reads, the fact that we have position makes it easy to just call the raise and evaluate the river. He may well check a weaker 2 pair or weirdly played AK allowing us to value bet.

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,089Subscriber
    so I called.

pot $1750 ish.

River blank. villain thinks and bets $600.

hero???
  • FuzzyDunlop Posts: 139Subscriber
    edited February 2016
    Given his sizing I think we probably have the best hand (or maybe chopping). However I would lean towards just a call as we have no information on his tendencies.

Assuming he shows down a weaker hand I wouldn't be concerned about missed value. He's probably not folding to a raise but you really can't work out the percentage you're good when a raise is called without having some idea as to his play style.

And if he shows down 77 then you lost the minimum.

So my question goes with that he obviously wants a call and with it being 5/10 and the bets gets big pretty quickly is this still considered a really big bet? Mainly a question for Bart Dave Conlin and David?

Are players even at 5/10 just never betting this big on the river with worse??? I can only beat really what A7 and maybe an overplayed single pair of aces. Maybe he turned two pair.

Spoiler:
    I called. He says "set". 77

Boo!
    lol to me i posted in the top section no wonder i didnt get many responses.
  • ConlanMa Posts: 181Pro
    Hey wendy - sorry for the late response. David and I were in Reno and have been playing long sessions here. I think your play is fine. The fact that you beat A7/A4 and chop with AJ while only losing to 77 (and less than 1 combo of JJ) makes this a call IMO. You may also sometimes run into KQss or K10ss here a small % of time. I would probably fold A4 or A7 here but call with AJ.
  • ConlanMa Posts: 181Pro
    Btw, his bet here is relatively small to the size of the pot. He's betting $600 into a pot of $1640. You're paying $600 to win 2240. He has let's say 3 combos of AJ, 1 each of A4/A7s (half of the combos), and 3 sets. If you add in any frequency of KQ, K10, q10ss then this is a pretty clear call.
  • Philipp Posts: 55Subscriber
    On the river def. a no brainer call!
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    I like how you played most of the hand (calling turn CR and calling river bet because of combinatorics and pot odds), but I think that flop cbet sizing should be a little bigger like $120-$130. When you flop top 2 pair, there is less incentive to cbet smaller to induce light calls from second pair hands because you block second pair.

With that said, I do understand that you don't want to cbet so large into the whole field in such a multi-way pot.