Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

On shortstacking

TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I think many of live regs so used to play deep stack and they overlook shortstacking strategy (SSS). They just get upset and tilted when find themselves in shortstacked situation due to opponent buy-in short, capped game or straddle. But SSS is actually quite simple. It's just very math heavy so you need to work quite a bit off the table to learn your stacking off ranges in different situations and people usually too lazy to do it. We all so get used to make our money by outfolding our opponents. And when they take away our main weapon (fold) we feel hopeless and frustrated. But it doesn't have to be this way. SS poker is still poker and you have to be able to adjust and have an edge on your opponents. You just have to study SSS, accept that SSS is higher variance than deep stack play and have mental strength to implement it at the table.
My point is don't whine about SS - learn to deal with it.

Comments

• EDUB Posts: 29Subscriber
    TDF said
    It's just very math heavy so you need to work quite a bit off the table to learn your stacking off ranges in different situations and people usually too lazy to do it.
    Are you talking about using something like flopzilla to analyze various flops and how our opponents ranges hit it?
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    EDUB said Are you talking about using something like flopzilla to analyze various flops and how our opponents ranges hit it?
    I think it's best to start by studying already outlined SSS you can find on various training sites. Also playing hyper turbo HUSNG online very good for practicing SS play.
  • PokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
    I used to play the 20bb cap on stars a lot grinding fpps becuase I did a ton of work on ranges etc and I think I had the math down pretty well. I was actually making pretty good money and was on pace for supernova elite before black Friday.

The problem is at live poker you can't multi table and there is no rakeback. Sure you can win short, but you can win deep and win a lot more.

The other problem is that short stack poker actually can have pretty high variance. You're shoving a lot, and usually you're not that big of a favorite. And when you win, suddenly you're not short. Are you going to table change and rathole?

I had a swing online where I was more than 100 20bb buyins -ev in all in ev.

So in short, yes you can short stack but it isn't worth it. If you see a short stack he is much more likely to be a fish than a short stack pro.