Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Grind Poker Podcast No.1: BR Management And Preparing Yourself For Success

AdministratorAdministrator Posts: 747Administrator
edited February 2016 in The Grind poker podcast

In the first episode of The Grind poker podcast, host Rob Farha discusses managing bankrolls, when and how to move up, and some tips and how to consistently put yourself in the best position to succeed.

The Grind podcast with host Rob Farha leads you through the meta-game of being a professional poker player, which is equally if not more important then knowing when to 3-bet.

This is a bi-monthly podcast, coming out on the 1st and 3rd Saturday every month.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/bankroll-management-and-preparing-yourself-for-success
Tagged:

Comments

• Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    Very nice! Looking forward to more.
  • PocketAceTrader782 Posts: 441Subscriber
    Love It! Great Addition to the site

Carmine
  • RecreationalRogerRecreationalRoger Posts: 789Subscriber
    What's the RSS URL for The Grind podcast? It's not listed in the FAQs.
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    Loved the first episode.
  • AdministratorAdministrator Posts: 747Administrator
    RecreationalRoger said:
    If you subscribe to the regular CLP RSS feed, you will get it automatically. I will add the individual feed to the FAQ later on today.
  • ZambrotAZambrotA Posts: 372Subscriber
    edited February 2016
    Nice content.
    It's worth it in my opinion.
    Well done to @Rob Farha and CLP.
    Wow this was honestly one of the best podcasts I've ever listened to as a pro. The manager mindset is just pure GOLD. Keep up the good work.
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    appreciate the non strategy talk as well.
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    edited February 2016
    I disagree with the longevity remarks. I think that a lot of Vegas pros have moved to other areas (mostly to play better game/higher stakes). For example, I know of 10+ successful Vegas pros who have recently moved to LA/Florida in the last 1-2 years. There are also a lot of successful poker players who have moved onto bigger and better things because they realized that they could be even more successful/even more happy doing something else besides poker.

While I have a lot of respect for the long-time pros/regs who have been grinding forever and are still in action today, I am not going to assume that certain regs are busto simply because I don't see them in my local player pool anymore.
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    edited February 2016
    While the poker player versus poker manager analogy is good, there were no specific tips given on how to manage yourself effectively/efficiently.

Rob, what do you do specifically to hit your volume goals and your overall profit goals? Although you have played more online poker than live poker in the last 1.5 years, do you have any specific tips for CLP subscribers on how they can better manage themselves to boost efficiency and productivity (going to and from the poker room and during their live poker sessions)?
  • TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
    DavidChan said:
    While the poker player versus poker manager analogy is good, there were no specific tips given on how to manage yourself effectively/efficiently.

Rob, what do you do specifically to hit your volume goals and your overall profit goals? Although you have played more online poker than live poker in the last 1.5 years, do you have any specific tips for CLP subscribers on how they can better manage themselves to boost efficiency and productivity (going to and from the poker room and during their live poker sessions)?
    This is a great set of questions, David.

Even though I'm a serious hobbyist, I'd be interested to get Rob's takes on these items.
  • CalgaryPokerGuy Posts: 342Subscriber
    Rob sounds like a common sense type of guy with a common sense approach. Looking forward to hearing much more!
  • RobFarha Posts: 191Pro
    edited February 2016
    DavidChan said:
    I disagree with the longevity remarks. I think that a lot of Vegas pros have moved to other areas (mostly to play better game/higher stakes). For example, I know of 10+ successful Vegas pros who have recently moved to LA/Florida in the last 1-2 years. There are also a lot of successful poker players who have moved onto bigger and better things because they realized that they could be even more successful/even more happy doing something else besides poker.

While I have a lot of respect for the long-time pros/regs who have been grinding forever and are still in action today, I am not going to assume that certain regs are busto simply because I don't see them in my local player pool anymore.
    David,

I think you're experiencing confirmation bias in your own dealings with people who have moved. While I don't doubt that you have encountered/heard of "10+ successful Vegas pros" who have moved to different areas, I would ask you to think about how you would have possibly encountered anyone who failed. As I mention in the podcast, just because I stop seeing them doesn't necessarily mean that they are broke in a gutter or something, but I'd wager that I am correct about most and wrong about some when I say that they stopped trying to "make it" in poker.

Your own dealings with people who move to your area (LA) is already going to heavily favor people who are successful poker players. Nobody fails at poker in Vegas and then moves to an area where the cost of living is twice as much.

I felt it necessary to mention these points because it ties into the fact that there are a lot more losers playing poker than there are winners, I assume we can agree on that? You are never going to really encounter or deal with anyone who plays 1-2 and can't make it as a professional for whatever reason, definitely not in Vegas and probably not in California either.

Yes, people do move to different poker locales, people do chase other pursuits more lucrative than poker and I mention this clearly in the podcast. When I'm talking about the people who do fail, it's in reference to the many lower stakes grinders that I've viewed through my own lens as questionable for a myriad of reasons. Massive tilt problems, gambling issues, not ever paying attention to the game, any one of the seemingly unlimited vices Vegas has to offer and of course a lack of the fundamental skill set required to beat low stakes NL. There are many more of these guys than there are successful, solid, disciplined pros.

In my experience, there are lots of people who struggle with these disciplinary issues at lower stakes, as well as people who just aren't ready to be winners yet.

Good poker player + good poker manager = successful poker professional.

It's tougher to succeed with only one of the two, that's why I felt it important to mention.

I didn't give specific examples because this podcast is about BRM, so it's out of place for me to run on a 10minute tangent on tilt and motivation. These are both topics that I plan on having a dedicated podcast to, so I felt it unnecessary to give a brief, incomplete response to how I deal with tilt or motivational issues. Any short response to these issues wouldn't do the subscribers justice and would only tell a small portion of how I actually deal with these issues. My only goal was to briefly introduce and explain the concept of the "poker manager" as it's something that I will be referencing in the future.

I hope that answers your questions.
  • FuzzyDunlop Posts: 139Subscriber
    I have an hourly reminder set on my phone when I'm playing. At that point my poker manager (and coach) checks in with the player and has a discussion on where things are at in the session. Away from the table my mindset is primarily in manager / coach mode.

Hadn't used "manager" to describe the process before but it fits perfectly.
    by 1Lauz
  • RobFarha Posts: 191Pro
    FuzzyDunlop said:
    I have an hourly reminder set on my phone when I'm playing. At that point my poker manager (and coach) checks in with the player and has a discussion on where things are at in the session. Away from the table my mindset is primarily in manager / coach mode.

Hadn't used "manager" to describe the process before but it fits perfectly.
    This seems like a very effective way to prevent auto-pilot. I like it.

I don't use any kind of notification, but every time they fill the rack or somebody is tanking for any excessive amount of time I usually stand up and walk around.

I find just getting up and walking gets my blood flowing again and prevents drifting into a zombie like state that happens when we sit in the same place for 8+ hours.
    by 1themerk
  • markmrl123gmailcom Posts: 1Subscriber
    While I really feel that the time spent with the Alec Torelli show was time well spent, I feel that Farha could have compressed his material into a five minute segment. Pretty soft material that needed to be more concise. Perhaps some low stakes players new to the game benefit from Farha's pointers, I should think that the CLP audience overall is way ahead of the material presented. The show seemed for me to be a lot about game selection, which could have and should been clearly stated, as I heard it stated in either a Harrington or Miller book many years ago , Game selection is the most important decision that you'll make playing poker.
  • GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 328Subscriber
    Everything has its place. I'm sure there are subscribers that found it helpful. The great thing about CLP is that there is content for every level of player.

I'm sure RobFarha will be a welcome addition to CLP and will also provide helpful nuggets.
  • RecreationalRogerRecreationalRoger Posts: 789Subscriber
    Administrator said:
    RecreationalRoger said:
    If you subscribe to the regular CLP RSS feed, you will get it automatically. I will add the individual feed to the FAQ later on today.
    I don't see it in the FAQ page, and I'm not getting automatically as part of the CLP RSS feed. Any thoughts?
  • irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 408Subscriber
    I enjoyed the first pod & look forward to the next one.
    I started reading his 2+2 PGC thread today & came across this note from 11-7-2011: "I have been absolutely crushing live poker as of late." Thought it was funny to just read that after his very 1st pod.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler