Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Fundamental poker vs face up ranges

iamallin Posts: 1,173SubscriberProfessional
edited February 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I have recently realized that playing fundamentally correct poker often exposes my hand strength and range to perceptive opponents. Eg if I check back turn in position I have a medium strength showdown able hand
If I 3 bet a utg open I am weighted towards big value hands
If I reraise from the SB again multiple opponents I am weighted towards good value hands and less speculative hands.

This makes it very easy to play against me.

How do you all deal with this issue?
Tagged:

Comments

• afiguy357 Posts: 99Subscriber
    By playing against opponents that don't notice, care or think about how we play
  • carru036 Posts: 173Subscriber
    afiguy357 said:
    By playing against opponents that don't notice, care or think about how we play
    /thread

• ACK Posts: 428Subscriber
    iamallin said:
    I check back turn in position I have a medium strength showdown able hand

If I reraise from the SB again multiple opponents I am weighted towards good value hands and less speculative hands.
    These are not fundamentally correct.

You are playing a way where you can be exploited because of the tendencies of the player pool to call too much.
  • Letmewin1 Posts: 1,238Member
    edited February 2016
    iamallin said:
    I have recently realized that playing fundamentally correct poker often exposes my hand strength and range to perceptive opponents.
    Eg if I check back turn in position I have a medium strength showdown able hand...[/qoute]

Check back monsters as well..

If I 3 bet a utg open I am weighted towards big value hands..

Add some bluffs, V dependent.

You should play tightest from Blinds, don't see much of a reason to adjust but you can add some 4!/folds to your range

That's a start.
  • ConlanMa Posts: 181Pro
    What stakes and opponents do you play against? I think how you should play your ranges should fundamentally depend on your opponents in the player pool. The reason why we can start playing hands in a "non-standard" way in tougher games is because our opponents will start bluffing or thin valuing in spots that allow your strong hands to gain value by checking and inducing vs. betting for value yourself. Just stating that you are playing fundamentally correct poker isn't the right way to look at the problem IMHO. The "right way" of playing is playing in a way that makes the most money and that really depends on who you're playing against.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,820AdministratorLeadPro
    iamallin said:
    I have recently realized that playing fundamentally correct poker often exposes my hand strength and range to perceptive opponents. Eg if I check back turn in position I have a medium strength showdown able hand

Just out of coincidence a lot of todays CLP Podcast discusses this as it relates to balancing flop check calling ranges after being the preflop raiser. http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/preflop-positional-awareness
  • FreeLunch Posts: 1,308Pro
    Fundamentally correct poker, to the extent it really exists, is a dynamic concept and it sounds like you are treating it as a static concept/
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,097Subscriber
    ...by playing differently vs different opponents based on reads you have on them.

In very multi way pots - there isn't much you can do but play pretty straight forward, but if you have multi way pots and most everybody is a competent player - it's not a good table - switch.
  • dontfeedthenits Posts: 396Subscriber
    edited February 2016
    ConlanMa said:
    What stakes and opponents do you play against? I think how you should play your ranges should fundamentally depend on your opponents in the player pool. The reason why we can start playing hands in a "non-standard" way in tougher games is because our opponents will start bluffing or thin valuing in spots that allow your strong hands to gain value by checking and inducing vs. betting for value yourself. Just stating that you are playing fundamentally correct poker isn't the right way to look at the problem IMHO. The "right way" of playing is playing in a way that makes the most money and that really depends on who you're playing against.
    I think this is the real, non snarky correct answer. :)

'Correct' poker is villian dependent and non-static.