Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Poker Video No.232: Pre-flop Opportunities

Craig Posts: 745Administrator
NL is still very much a pre-flop game. In this video, Tuck looks at opportunities that arise during pre-flop play and ways we can exploit them.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/pre-flop-opportunities

Episode posts at 2PM ET.
Tagged:

Comments

• DavidTuchman Posts: 790Pro
    Doing this video had an immediate impact on my game. Last night, I played and there were two noticeable spots where I was able to exploit my opponents weaknesses.

1. An ABC bad player limped/re-raised with KK early in the session. Later on, he opened UTG to $20 and after a couple of calls, I thought it a good spot for a 3bet since it appeared he was limp/re-raising with his premiums. $70 in my pocket

2. Guy on my right was sizing his opening bets differently. Didn't take long to figure out what each sizing meant... a couple of 3-bets later and I was able to pick up some money without seeing a flop.
    No comments? no constructive criticism? No analysis? ...Where are you guys?
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    Great video david and something I am also trying to add too my game. I've been looking for these spots more recently but one think I need to pay more attention too more in general is peoples stack size. Say someone opens and gets a few calls. Maybe i think this is a good spot to 3 bet due to whatever so i do. I know the original opens stack size but sometimes i forget about the callers and don't realize one or two of them have a short stack. Happened once where i 3 bet and original raiser folded but one of the short stacks just decided to go with A7 and i had to call off with KT. Obviously that isn't a terrible spot but something i need to focus more on.

Also, one thing i think you didn't cover in your video is making moves pre flop to set up plays post flop. Like recently i've been playing some early on Saturday or Sunday and play with some very passive old guys. They like to limp call a lot pre but will fold a lot of flops unless they hit a good pair. I've started isolating these guy's limps more, not because they fold a lot pre flop but because i can c bet so profitably post flop. This can be even more true with 3 bet pots. A lot of guys way over estimate implied odds and will call 3 bets with every PP, any suited connector or suited connector, a lot of weak broadways and just other hands they shouldn't be calling with. However, unless they hit their big draw, set or two pair they often just fold flop. When i played online fold to c-bet in 3bet pot was one of my favorite stats. There were some tight regs that would fold to 70-80 of cbets in 3bet pots so i would 3bet them so much, especially IP, because they just folded so much postlflop.
  • irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 408Subscriber
    I've only watched the 1st half but like how you don't waste time dissecting how the hands play out post flop. Many of other concept materials will dwell on how the hand plays outside of that particular concept. I watched this video as I was looking for training materials specifically for preflop play using the preflop tag.

I liked the concept of dead money in the first few hands. It's not something I've really considered much in my game but will look more closely for those spots.

Hand #4 was the last one I watched & picking up sizing tells is something I am always trying to do when playing. I have a few regs in my game that telegraph their hand strength with their bets. Even though they are regs I will play a much wider range against them since I have a better read on their holdings. It makes the game more fun & profitable when you have a read like that on someone.
  • irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 408Subscriber
    Watched the 2nd half. Made a note to start asking myself "what is my opponent trying to accomplish?".
  • rscat1 Posts: 17Subscriber
    Love the insight here, the expounding of a video meant to show "pre flop" opportunities but a concept that ventures well beyond pre flop decisions. Bart always advises to think about pre flop action when assigning ranges and reevaluating them and I think this video begins to push that envelope a bit further. What can pre flop action do in excluding hands from a range? but furthermore, what does a line look like in the sum of it's parts? what is villain trying to accomplish? and of course, the reverse, what does our line look like? where are our incongruencies? is this how we'd play the hand with the hand we're trying to represent? I think you have a great start on pursuing a video series about your 2nd half key phrase "what is he trying to accomplish?"
    rscat1 said:
    Love the insight here, the expounding of a video meant to show "pre flop" opportunities but a concept that ventures well beyond pre flop decisions. Bart always advises to think about pre flop action when assigning ranges and reevaluating them and I think this video begins to push that envelope a bit further. What can pre flop action do in excluding hands from a range? but furthermore, what does a line look like in the sum of it's parts? what is villain trying to accomplish? and of course, the reverse, what does our line look like? where are our incongruencies? is this how we'd play the hand with the hand we're trying to represent? I think you have a great start on pursuing a video series about your 2nd half key phrase "what is he trying to accomplish?"
    Awesome idea! I think I owe you a beer or maybe a few beers for coming up with this one.

thanks
  • rscat1 Posts: 17Subscriber
    DavidTuchman said:
    rscat1 said:
    Awesome idea! I think I owe you a beer or maybe a few beers for coming up with this one.

thanks
    Wish I could take you up on one of those Bell's Hop Slam, give your friend an extra big thank you for that one. Turns out its a rare beer that they only release one day a year and almost always sells out day of.
  • md_donk Posts: 25Subscriber
    I like the surprise cameo by Bart!

Also, I'm kicking myself for a lost 3-bet opportunity on Sat. 2/5 game. Very loose opener (although we didn't quite know how loose at the time but he was already showing signs) opens for $20 after 1 limper at UTG+1. The world calls. I have AJs, in SB I think. I almost 3-bet big but chickened out I guess. calls complete. Flop is garbage, 9 high, checks around, PFR bets half pot, the world folds around to me. I almost c/r to take it down but there's still 2 more players behind me before it gets back to PFR so I fold. Sure enough, the last guy before the PFR check-raises to $275. PFR folds, raiser shows K5o for a bluff.
    md_donk said:
    I like the surprise cameo by Bart!

Also, I'm kicking myself for a lost 3-bet opportunity on Sat. 2/5 game. Very loose opener (although we didn't quite know how loose at the time but he was already showing signs) opens for $20 after 1 limper at UTG+1. The world calls. I have AJs, in SB I think. I almost 3-bet big but chickened out I guess. calls complete. Flop is garbage, 9 high, checks around, PFR bets half pot, the world folds around to me. I almost c/r to take it down but there's still 2 more players behind me before it gets back to PFR so I fold. Sure enough, the last guy before the PFR check-raises to $275. PFR folds, raiser shows K5o for a bluff.
    The important thing is you're recognizing the opportunities...soon, you'll grow a pair and start capitalizing on them (kidding) .. but seriously, recognizing them is the first step and the more difficult one.
  • kristouffe Posts: 54Subscriber
    I'm a member of Crushlivepoker for two reasons:
    - learn
    - entertainement. I love to watch poker

I know you guys focus on the first one. You want us to improve our game, that's the goal right.
    But for the fun of it, i would really apreciate to see the result of the hand.

I know what you're thinking: " it doesn't matter who won the hand, it doesn't matter what the river was, that's not the point. I'm trying to explain a concept here, not a particular hand".

That's true. But sometimes it's hard to hear you talking 25min of a hand and you skip to something else. We get curious and want to see the result.

I notice that Bart do it to in his CLP call ins show. Someone calls for an advice, Bart give his advice and says bye bye before the guy has a chance to tell the end of the hand. I'm curious, i want to know the result !
    It's not important for the learning proccess, but it's important to keep us listening to you 1 hour long. Otherwise it's a little boring sometimes......

kristouffe said:
    I'm a member of Crushlivepoker for two reasons:
    - learn
    - entertainement. I love to watch poker

I know you guys focus on the first one. You want us to improve our game, that's the goal right.
    But for the fun of it, i would really apreciate to see the result of the hand.

I know what you're thinking: " it doesn't matter who won the hand, it doesn't matter what the river was, that's not the point. I'm trying to explain a concept here, not a particular hand".

That's true. But sometimes it's hard to hear you talking 25min of a hand and you skip to something else. We get curious and want to see the result.

I notice that Bart do it to in his CLP call ins show. Someone calls for an advice, Bart give his advice and says bye bye before the guy has a chance to tell the end of the hand. I'm curious, i want to know the result !
    It's not important for the learning proccess, but it's important to keep us listening to you 1 hour long. Otherwise it's a little boring sometimes......

Fair enough. Thanks for the input. I'll do my best to always get the result in as well. Keep in mind, sometimes we don't mention the result because a big hurdle for many players is to forget about the results. Being results-oriented is terrible for your game and because of that, we really want to focus on the decision making process rather than the results.

All that said, I completely understand where you are coming from...

Tuck
  • Ayapepper Posts: 12Subscriber
    Just got to watch this video and I'm with kristouffe on this one Tuck. What in the name of God did the guy with jacks do in the last hand?!?! Hero call? Did he put Chris to shame on live video? Did Chris suck out and hit an 8 on the river?
    appreciate the notes...I'll keep this in mind going forward