Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

5/5 AK TPTK OTB

TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Bit of a history: I sat down and opened every button when it was limped to me for a few orbits. Once opened straddled pot to 50, straddler 3bet me to 150, I folded he showed Q6o and proclaimed to all that he's sick of me raising every button.

UTG+1 limps, 3 limp, Hero(1000) OTB opens AdKd to 35. BB(1000) calls, UTG+1(1000) calls.
They both are bad nitty straightforward players. BB is semi-reg bought in for 200BB. UTG+1 weak-tight shot-taker bought in for 100BB and doubled up in a cooler situation.
3 to flop (125) Ac5s3d. BB checks, UTG+1 leads for 115. Hero tank-calls. Is there a merit in raise/folding here? BB quickly calls.
turn (470) 7h. BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 300. BB thinks for not long and calls, UTG+1 folds.
river (1070) 5d. BB checks, Hero moves AI for 600. Is this too thin for a value bet?

Comments

• EDUB Posts: 29Subscriber
    I like betting the river, but not sure about the sizing. 600 is not a big bet relative to the pot but in absolute terms it is big. You describe villain as bad straightforward nit. Those type of players are not calling $600 river bets in my game with the hands we want be called by, the AQ, AJ type hands. The board also runs out in a way where I could see the villain slowplaying a flopped set or turned straight and not raising us because the turn completes the badugi, no flush draws or anything he would feel the need to protect. The board is so dry it does not force him to fastplay, he may slowplay where he would not if the turn brought a backdoor flush draw.

I think I like betting 240ish on the turn and 320ish on the river. I don't think this type of villain will ever make us fold better and I think he calls with the hands we want to get value from. I can see him being willing to call the smaller river bet because he still has enough money behind to keep playing, almost tournament type thinking.
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    EDUB said
    I can see him being willing to call the smaller river bet because he still has enough money behind to keep playing, almost tournament type thinking.
    Valid point but I don't think this applies to a guy who bought in for 200BB.
  • BartBart Posts: 6,078AdministratorLeadPro
    Definitely not too thin on the river. Although I agree with EDUB-- am sizing turn and river a bit smaller. Maybe something like $250-$270 and then $550. Leave the guy a few bucks behind. I always find that people are more apt to call a non all in than an all in ins situations like these.

BArt
  • JerseyJay Posts: 181Subscriber
    I like the way you played this hand. Ive played several hands similarly over the past few sessions and gotten 3 streets from a weak ace. Im probably betting 250 on the turn, and 350 on the river. I can probably bet fold the river too.
  • I think there is some merit to raising the flop, but his lead is so big. I'm interested in what you think he folded after leading flop. I'd probably bet a little less on the turn and river because I tend to believe Bart is right in his thinking.
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    I couldn't find a good reason to raise flop.
    UTG+1 folded AQ (he showed to guys next to him). BB calls the river and I won but I think you guys right - smaller bets might be more profitable. Thanks for replies.