Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Playing The Player

TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I started reading the book and found interesting thought. Ed seems to believe that we are opening preflop with wide range not to disguise our strong hands, but other way around - we're using strong hands in our range to get fold equity from raising.
It makes sense. I like it.

Comments

• JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    I think that is one of the best poker books ever.
  • CruelUltimatum Posts: 160Subscriber
    I'm pretty tilted. I bought a copy of this book a while back, got about halfway through and now I can't find it anywhere. Problem is that the book is $50 and I know that if I buy another copy (electronic or otherwise), I'm just going to find the first one. That was fine until EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER started asking me "have you read Ed Miller's Playing the Player?" asdf

EDIT: I found the book literally within 30 seconds of posting this. "Wait, I didn't check my bag when I traveled last..."

You all seemed concerned, so I figured I'd keep you updated. I did spend probably a good 45 minutes of my life looking for this book though!
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Hopefully the 45 min you wasted werent more than the 50 bucks.. Wink

ww
    Thehammah said

Hopefully the 45 min you wasted werent more than the 50 bucks.. Wink

ww
    My poker hourly isn't close to that high. :P
  • LucasE Posts: 167Member
    Any input on this book? I've never heard of it. What's it about and/or is it worth reading?

Side note: google's first result for 'playing the player' is hilarious: www.wikihow.com/Play-a-Player
    LucasE said

Any input on this book? I've never heard of it. What's it about and/or is it worth reading?

Side note: google's first result for 'playing the player' is hilarious: www.wikihow.com/Play-a-Player
    Miller's book is an expansion on that link. He's been hurt so many times (who here hasn't?) by players and he finally puts his foot down and says "Enough! I'm a strong, independent woman and I will not take this anymore!" You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll hug it out tearfully. But one thing's for sure: you won't ever forget.

Either that, or it's a book about making adjustments from a straightforward ABC style of poker depending on player/table dynamics and when it's correct to play looser, play tighter, value bet less, value bet more, bluff more, 3bet less, etc. It assumes you've gotten ABC down pretty well, so it's not a beginner's book.
  • TJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    CruelUltimatum said
    LucasE said

Miller's book is an expansion on that link. He's been hurt so many times (who here hasn't?) by players and he finally puts his foot down and says "Enough! I'm a strong, independent woman and I will not take this anymore!" You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll hug it out tearfully. But one thing's for sure: you won't ever forget.

Either that, or it's a book about making adjustments from a straightforward ABC style of poker depending on player/table dynamics and when it's correct to play looser, play tighter, value bet less, value bet more, bluff more, 3bet less, etc. It assumes you've gotten ABC down pretty well, so it's not a beginner's book.
    I officially nominate this for post of the year.