Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

check or c-bet flop?

reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,146Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I've been playing for an hour or so, standard line-up, several regs, a few newbies.

2/5 NLH, I raise UTG to $20 with AJo, next to act (good winning player, older, capable of some moves) calls, SB (older, straight forward white guy) calls. Pot is $65.

Flop comes QT8r. SB checks, I c-bet $35, next to act raises to $80, SB old man goes AI for $220, I fold, next to act folds, old man shows TT for middle set.

As I reflect on this hand, I realize I get into these spots where I'm not sure if I should c-bet or check the flop. In this case, I thought the board was draw-heavy with straight draws, I could get a lower pocket pair to fold, and I had some decent equity if called with my double gutter and overcard. However, my c-bet can hardly stand a c/r, or even a raise, so maybe I should check? I'm easily lost in these spots.

What if next to act raises to $80 and SB folds - do I just call the $45 extra with my hand equity and see a turn card, hoping to hit my draw, or do I 3-bet, or...

Please help. Frown

Comments

• JerseyJay Posts: 181Subscriber
    IMO, stack size is the most important thing in this hand. Do you look at stacksizes before you bet? After your raised? At all? Or did you simply forget to post it. If you remember, please add the stack sizes, or at least effective stack sizes. Long story short is, if you are deep (150bb's or more) you can call a raise because you have implied odds. If you guys are playing 100bb's or less, probably not. Other things to consider include how likely an opponent is to stack off light when you hit, and how likely is it that he will let a free river card roll off if you miss the turn. Hope this helps
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,146Subscriber
    JasonOury said

IMO, stack size is the most important thing in this hand. Do you look at stacksizes before you bet? After your raised? At all? Or did you simply forget to post it. If you remember, please add the stack sizes, or at least effective stack sizes. Long story short is, if you are deep (150bb's or more) you can call a raise because you have implied odds. If you guys are playing 100bb's or less, probably not. Other things to consider include how likely an opponent is to stack off light when you hit, and how likely is it that he will let a free river card roll off if you miss the turn. Hope this helps
    Sorry I did not report on the stack sizes. I DID say that SB went all-in for $220, so I guess effective stacks were $220 on the flop. Person on my right had me covered, around 100bb.

So, let's say we're $500 effective, I c-bet to $35 (into $65), villain on my right raises to $80, SB FOLDS, now I have to call $45 to win $180, 4-1 immediate odds, $360 pot (if I call) and $400 behind. Is that odds to call with a disguised double gutter and an overcard, assuming villain has something like QJ, KQ, AQ, JT, KJ, 88, TT?

I'm guessing that if I hit my gutter on the turn, I will be able to get all the money in on the following two streets. If I don't hit though, then what?

With stacks as they were (around 100bb, SB with 44bb), would a better line have been to check after SB checked to me and not to have c-bet, in order to check/call with my equity?
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I used to get myself in these spots too.. If you have a super nit image then you might be able to get away with betting. If not then I would just check. It only cost you a small amount but some players would check a set there trapping and you can freeroll for their whole stack if you spike a K.

If stacks are shorter then I would never bet because you have little fold equity as many players with as little as say 99 will go all in. Now you might have to call on the draw and I hate doing that.

Even its is a rainbow board there are so many hands that with two or players might have that have flopped say a pair and straight draw that aren't folding to a cbet.

All of this changes a bit if I am in position as opposed to being in ep and having to act first. If you are in pos I would bet more often because you can get called by worse .. But in a nutshell when the texture hits your opponents range you have to consider if you can barrel them off and I am not sure you can oop in this spot against multiple players.

Wendy
  • C-betting here is perfectly fine.