Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$5/$5, flopped SET faced to River ALL IN

ZambrotAZambrotA Posts: 372Subscriber
$5/$5 nlhe cash game, normal table dynamic.

Hero, ~$750, MP, 4♣️4♦️. Image is tight, the session was very hard, i had to make couple big folds before but Villain came to this table recently then didn't know that, I'm just assuming .

Villain, BB,~ $630, unknown white man on his late 20s, recently came to this table , seems competente.

PRE FLOP: hero overlimps 1 player with 4♣️4♦️ on MP, 2 more limps including BT, blinds check.

Flop: ~$25, 6way, 4♠️6♦️8♣️

Checked to Hero, who bets $25, BT (fish) calls, SB (white lady rec early 50s) call, now Villain check/raises to $90 on the BB. ($65 more)
Hero thinks for about 2 minutes and calls as also does BT. Lady on the SB folds.

Here I'm thinking how i am doing against V's range but as he is on the SB he could easily have me crushed with the nuts 57 and his check/raise out of position looks small to me, representing even more strength in my opinion, then I opted to flat and reevaluate on the turn.

1) thoughts about flop play??

Turn: ~$320, 3way, 9❤️

Villain now bets $190, Hero takes forever and calls, BT folds.
BT was short by the way, he had less than the $190 so he was irrelevant at this point.

(Pot ~$700 , V has ~ $345 behind)

Here i think about the implied odds i'm getting as in my opinion it's very likely V has the "nuts" betting again vs 2 players out of position. I'm also thinking how good may be V and how he sees me to pay me off if the board pairs. I thought about folding also as I believed i was likely 4-1 dog.

2) thoughts about turn play?
Do you ever fold here??

River: ~$700, HU, J♣️

River takes few seconds and moves in for the last...

Pot ~1045, $345 for Hero to call.

Final board 4♠️6♦️8♣️ 9❤️ J♣️

3)Hero??
Tagged:

Comments

• Jacklamb Posts: 561Subscriber
    edited April 2016
    I'm probably trying to get it in on the flop. I'm not too concerned about the nuts. Could be set over set. Your guy in 20's I expect is more capable of making a move. Multiway pot he could be trying to steal. 9 is good card to keep firing, Jack is good card to triple barrel on. He could have something also like T7 for a draw that actually turned the nuts, but I'm all for trying to get it in earlier
    His small check raise represents even more strength to you? It looks scared to me. That's you having monsters under the bed syndrome. Repop it to $210. If he comes back over the top maybe then you fold
  • ZambrotAZambrotA Posts: 372Subscriber
    Jacklamb said:
    I'm probably trying to get it in on the flop. I'm not too concerned about the nuts. Could be set over set. Your guy in 20's I expect is more capable of making a move. Multiway pot he could be trying to steal. 9 is good card to keep firing, Jack is good card to triple barrel on. He could have something also like T7 for a draw that actually turned the nuts, but I'm all for trying to get it in earlier
    His small check raise represents even more strength to you? It looks scared to me. That's you having monsters under the bed syndrome. Repop it to $210. If he comes back over the top maybe then you fold
    I don't thinks it's bad to get it in otf as I'm not crazy deep.

About the strength of the small/medium raise, I definitely do...

About the monsters under my bed, I'll try to take care of it.

Thank you

Keep it up @Jacklamb !!
  • Rocketman74Rocketman74 Posts: 451Subscriber
    Whenever you get a board like this (468, 579, etc) you should be very cautious as these are straight yielding flops. These boards also smash a ton of suited connectors and gappers (2P, P+SD and OESDs)

In this hand, said Villain can have flopped straights, oversets as well as the draws, 2P, etc. The thing is, do you really want to go broke in a limped pot?

If you 3bet the flop you take the initiative back, get value from his draws and 2P hands and can fold the a 4bet.

As played... turn sucks because if you call you're committed and he still could be firing with 2P (or even added a pair to an open-ender.) On the other hand, you could be a 4-to-1 dog or even worse. I would fold now.

River (as played) appears like you're pot-stuck but ask yourself, "is he really still shoving 86?" "Is he really ever bluffing here?" I think you can let it go.
  • ZambrotAZambrotA Posts: 372Subscriber
    Rocketman74 said:
    Whenever you get a board like this (468, 579, etc) you should be very cautious as these are straight yielding flops. These boards also smash a ton of suited connectors and gappers (2P, P+SD and OESDs)

In this hand, said Villain can have flopped straights, oversets as well as the draws, 2P, etc. The thing is, do you really want to go broke in a limped pot?

If you 3bet the flop you take the initiative back, get value from his draws and 2P hands and can fold the a 4bet.

As played... turn sucks because if you call you're committed and he still could be firing with 2P (or even added a pair to an open-ender.) On the other hand, you could be a 4-to-1 dog or even worse. I would fold now.

River (as played) appears like you're pot-stuck but ask yourself, "is he really still shoving 86?" "Is he really ever bluffing here?" I think you can let it go.
    About going broke in a limped pot i hear you, but in this case when you flop a ser is a little bit different than when you have AA or some top pair hand or even 2 pair.
    Small pairs 55-22 i most of the time try to get to see the flop cheap so when i flop a set it's often in limped pots as there is a lot of limping at this 5$ bb level.

I assume that you supposed to check/raise on the flop which I don't disagree and even likely folding to a 4bet doesn't sound bad to me against the right player.

On the river it's definitely player dependent but even in general, i do believe V shoves 86, and also do believe that he likely checks ser or 2 pair and he also likely gives up his unlikely bluff.

Thank you @Rochetman74
    Keep It Up!