Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

How badly was this hand played?

iamallin Posts: 1,173SubscriberProfessional
5 10 game. Really tough. Tournament in town.

Villain is a decent lag with a big win in a wpt tourney a few years ago. Hero's image is tight and losing in the session.

Villain straddles for 20.

Effective stacks 1700.

Utg nit limps. Very good young pro on button limps. Hero completes from the BB with KTo.
Villain checks straddle.

Flop 85

TT9 ss

Hero leads for 100. Villain flat calls instantly.
Nit and button fold.

Turn 285

TT9ss4r

Hero checks thinking that villain is draw heavy and will take a stab if checked to.

Villain bets 230. Hero thinks and raises to 700.

Thoughts? How would you play this hand differently?

Spoiler:
villain snap folds showing a t.

Comments

• stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    I think the check raise might be a little too transparent. I mean do you ever play a draw this way? I think just going bet bet bet will probably be best.
  • Rocketman74Rocketman74 Posts: 451Subscriber
    I love your bet otf

I just keep firing ott (as my default play) but I don't hate the x-raise.
    I want to clarify that I like the c/r against a lot of players but not good thinking players.
  • iamallin Posts: 1,173SubscriberProfessional
    I see..what about a check call on the turn then? Followed by either a river check raise or a lead on the river If draws bust?
    iamallin said:
    I see..what about a check call on the turn then? Followed by either a river check raise or a lead on the river If draws bust?
    I think turn check call lets him check back hands like A9, 88 OTT or OTR. He also might bet smaller than we would like with whatever hands he has.

HU it's not as bad against a lag because he could floating flop but I think he has something when he calls in a multiway pot. Also, if I was going to check call to trap/induce I would use my weaker Tx and keep barreling my bigger Tx for value. Like I think I prefer the check call line with a hand like T8. Now maybe T8 isn't strong enough to c/r river if he goes bet bet but I think that is fine as it is pretty hard to get paid off OTR with a c/r anyway.

Overall not a bad spot to add some balance against a good player but I prefer to use weaker Tx to balance and just make sure I get max value from my good Tx, like KT.
  • mythomaniac Posts: 284Subscriber
    I've run into this spot w/middle set and led flop, c/r turn and had a good thinking player fold top two. As stated, against a fishy player it's great to start shoveling $$ in but the pot is already bloated bc of the straddle so bet bet bet is a fine line. Or bet bet and check-call river if draws brick. Maybe, just maybe if you were feeling confident you could make a small "blockish" bet on the river to induce a raise if you think he is a good lag and will interpret that bet as a medium strength hand that he could blow off by a raise.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I don't think this villain has too many mediocre show down hands here. This type of player I think raises most of his pocket pairs 66+ pre from the straddle. Sure , he has some 9x in his range that is likely the best hand (in his mind), and occasionally some Tx, but most LAGs are raising Tx right away. He also has the nuts T9 in his range here (obv very few combos).

But I do like the turn x/r against this player , as so much of his range is draws and floats. Hands like Q8, KJ, 78 call flop and probably bet turn when checked to, but might possibly fold to a large turn barrel by hero.
  • beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    I don't play 5/10 often - but when I do, our lineups can be very tough.
    So on the T T× 9 flop - if I lead out... I'm basically announcing to the players in the hand that I've got a T.
    After all - what other hands would I do this with from oop?
    99? Q J? 8 7? A J? J 8 ... mebbe.

As you can see - there really aren't a lot of bluffs or semi-bluffs in my range. (Maybe you have more?)
    And should I check/raise the turn - my hand is really transparent.
    After all - would I do this with a boat? Probably not.
    So I'm telling V that I've just got trips. (And giving V the green light to bet hard with T9, 99 or ATos if he has it.)

Being oop - in a straddled pot - I don't think I would overbet the pot on the flop.
    It feels like you're trying to take it down right there... a protection bet.
    A good 5/10 players should see that immediately.
    So guys like Bart will call with all kinds of hands - ready to pounce when a bad card comes.
    What are bad cards? 7, 8, J, Q, any and maybe an A.... that seems like half the deck? No?

I'd probably opt for a flop check/call. And check/re-eval on turn.
    I'm never folding.
    But I'm not in a hurry to bloat a pot against a good pro who probably knows exactly where he's at, while I don't.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,819AdministratorLeadPro
    edited May 2016
    I don't mind your stack a donk line here at all. If I read this hand correctly Villain can have any random T and I don't expect them to fold those hands. You also get a LAG to bet a draw on the turn that they otherwise might fold, so you don't lose value by checking. I think you were just unlucky here as he probably had T2 or something. Chalk this up to variance of the situation. Bart
  • BartBart Posts: 5,819AdministratorLeadPro
    beauregard said:
    I don't play 5/10 often - but when I do, our lineups can be very tough.

Being oop - in a straddled pot - I don't think I would overbet the pot on the flop.
    It feels like you're trying to take it down right there... a protection bet.
    A good 5/10 players should see that immediately.
    So guys like Bart will call with all kinds of hands - ready to pounce when a bad card comes.
    What are bad cards? 7, 8, J, Q, any and maybe an A.... that seems like half the deck? No?

Im certainly not trying to pounce and represent against a guy I think has trips on the flop.
  • beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    Bart said:
    Im certainly not trying to pounce and represent against a guy I think has trips on the flop.
    I'm not saying you're a bad guy, Bart (although you do wear black! JK!)
    i know you say that you're not in the business of bluffing people

just saying that when you play transparently - good 5/10 pro players (like Bart) may float a wet board and try to take the pot away at a later point

when you play transparently from oop - you allow V to play perfectly.
    bluffing against trips is a tougher goal - but one I've seen good players try against thinking regs.

so while I'd get less "value" for my hand... I'm not having to play 5th street chicken for my stack.