Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Grind Poker Podcast No.7: Dealing With Swings and Preventing a Loser's Mentality

Craig Posts: 756Administrator
edited May 2016 in The Grind poker podcast
In the seventh episode of the Grind, Rob Farha talks about how he copes with downswings and the dangers of losing confidence in poker.

Episode post at 11AM PT.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/dealing-with-swings-and-preventing-a-losers-mentality
Tagged:

Comments

• GonzoPokerGonzoPoker Posts: 38Subscriber
    Good episode Rob I can relate to being on a downswing I had a small two months downswing with subpar results so in the beginning of April what I did was reduce my hours A week from 30 to about 15 or 20 and I focused on finding the best games I could find and putting in quality hours and it really helped April was a good month and I'm back on track thanks again .
  • DrSpace Posts: 716Subscriber
    edited May 2016
    I have lost a goodly number of giant 5/10/20 pots this year getting money in mostly vg and then recently got it in very bad AQhh v AA preflop for 7k pot and sucked out. One amazing note is my image always sucked after loosing as a big favorite. Then, after I felt really awful getting it in 12% preflop and winning, the table thought it was amazing and my image was terrific all night. Most players pay attention to results and results. Its human nature but remarkable.

So getting it in as a big favorite and losing actually can motivate players to play back at you -- subconsciously I suppose they think that your unlucky and vice versa.

Running poorly in big pots can ruin a year with so few hands live. On the other hand, I have seen (especially young) pros running well in big pots start playing really poorly and overly aggressively.I have found this is something to watch in my relatively small 5/10+ player pool.\

I enjoy your podcast -- keep up the honesty and frankness!
  • MSK Posts: 53Subscriber
    edited May 2016
    Rob, I think everyone is with you in regards to not making a rec player which the game runs around, show his hand. But it does somewhat conflict with another pet peeve of yours which is no one is looking at positive variance. If I play a huge pot relative to the stakes and my BR and win, I really want to know what the other guy had because I might have just realized 3.5k more in AIEV than I should. As Limon said, some of these huge pots can actually have a very large impact on your poker career. Would be interesting for you to elaborate on a next episode of the Grind on ways and tips how to find out their holding without making them show their cards. I like to ask very nicely when the I'm leaving or I'm buying a drink if he tells me.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I have so far this year run really really badly in march.. and running basically sideways since then. I feel so far ok about my play with one exception that I do feel I am calling a bit too light on the river.. but again these are all in pretty sick spots where I am at the top of my range and villains range is also very very strong..

I agree that a few big pots can make or break a session.. run a few of those together and now you are losing.. Just in the past month I have had 3 undersets against fish and in another pot I had bottom set vs middle two pair vs flopped straight again against players who didnt have much money..

all of these are just a string of unfortunate situations.. thats said I cant say how much this has affected the rest of my game. All I can do is try my best to continue to work on my game and plug leaks.. and just wait it out til variance turns my way again.

• RobFarha Posts: 191Pro
    @MSK good question, will answer next episode (may21).
  • RobFarha Posts: 191Pro
    Thehammah said:

all of these are just a string of unfortunate situations.. thats said I cant say how much this has affected the rest of my game. All I can do is try my best to continue to work on my game and plug leaks.. and just wait it out til variance turns my way again.

This is the best attitude to have.

It ties into my whole point, as MSK mentioned, that people don't ever feel like they are running good, but are very quick to realize when they are running bad.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    RobFarha said:
    Thehammah said:

This is the best attitude to have.

It ties into my whole point, as MSK mentioned, that people don't ever feel like they are running good, but are very quick to realize when they are running bad.

back in dec and jan I ABSOLUTELY knew I was running way above EV.. ha ha.. I just felt I deserved it after running like shit for a couple of months..
    :wink:
  • irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 408Subscriber
    Thehammah said:
    back in dec and jan I ABSOLUTELY knew I was running way above EV.. ha ha.. I just felt I deserved it after running like shit for a couple of months..
    :wink:
    That reminds me of a Tommy Angelo quote about how there is no deserve in poker. "All you are entitled to is a seat at the table".

• Acehole Posts: 99Subscriber
    edited June 2016
    I finally just got out of a 2 month rut and about a week ago I was looking at my hours and going over logs. I easily came up with 3 big pots that I played so poorly and payed people off where i shouldnt have that made the downswing worse. Going over these I realized that I would have been out of the downswing 2 weeks sooner had it not been for my own mistakes.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler