Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Just coming out of a 3 mos losing streak.. what have I learned this time.

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
I wasnt sure where to put this post but since its about poker challenges I figured that was the best spot. since the middle of february I had been in a 8k downswing. March was just awful.. card dead then april was up and down swinggy and nasty coolers..

may comes along and bink variance back on my side..

We all hate downswings but I try to find ways to improve my game during these times. What did I learn this time? People just fold to my barrels!!

You guys get a lot of credit for this quite frankly. Through all my complaints of not getting calls for value I realized I just needed to start bluffing more. Almost regardless of equity people just give me credit. Here are a couple of examples.

Hand 1
Thursday $5/$5 I have a rather god like image. stack around $2600.. villain is a rec player in a nice suite (as he always is so I assume he comes after work) he has about $1500.. I have JUST been caught bluffing to a good pro when the fourth flush card hit the river and all I had was middle pair. Pro tanked for like two minutes before calling my seemingly value bet with second nut flush. yep just to give you guys and idea of just how much fold equity I have .. I bet just about $150 into a $275 pot and he tanked for 2 minutes with the queen high flush..

its folded around to me I have K J and I raise to $25.. villain is only caller from blinds.. pot $50 ish..

Flop Q 8 2 he checks pretty good flop for me to cbet I bet $40... he calls pretty quickly.. pot $130

Turn T this is probably one of the better turn cards for me. other than say the A villain checks I bet pretty big here.. $125.. he calls pretty quickly again.. pot $380

River K now villain checks again. I didnt get the feeling he had two pair but a Queen.. So I bet $225 for value and he snap calls I flip over my king and he mucks pretty disgustedly. a few months ago I probably am not betting the turn nor would I bet so big on the river when I hit the King given my kicker.. but now I am ..

Hand 2
Friday night again $5/$5 3-1000 game.. I have a great image although its early in the session.

I raise in MP with 9 T to $30 over a limper and one blind calls and the limper calls. Pot $100..

Flop 6 7 2 so I flop the nut gutter and a backdoor diamond draw.. checks to me and I bet $65.. to my surpise both call me.. my plan was to pretty much check most turns as I dont think I can get through both players if another small card comes. Pot $300 ish..

Turn Q well again this is a rather good card for me. not only is this can now me hitting an overpair it gives me alot more equity with the flush draw too. its checks to me I bet $175 and both quickly fold..

easy game.. ha ha.. I would have never tried this a few months ago.. but now I realize just how much people fold to me and I just steal so much more. I have said it before that downswings are when you are pushed to improve your game. and this one was no different. Last night I barreled at least $500-600

Tagged:

Comments

• stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    People are probably getting sick of me recommending online all the time but i'm about to do it again. Absent of all the benefits it's had to my actual game in terms of study it has done a lot in terms of understanding more about variance as well. I've been on plenty of downswings/break even stretches online that each lasted several thousand hands and while that may only be a few days online live that can be weeks or months. Having had that happen before and knowing it is normal is a big confidence boost and one thing that keeps people stuck in downswings is lack of confidence.
  • JimHamring Posts: 339Subscriber
    Good luck getting out your downswing! And both hands well played, pretty mandatory barrels unless there is something very special going on.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    thanks jim. the barreling has really been working for me. thats what works when your image is so nitty
  • nofriends333 Posts: 884Troll
    If i had the bankroll i would have more confidence in doing what you do. Since i have no bankroll i am forced to assume the role of limper instead of bluffer. I think most recs rarely barrel in $1 $2 live scene but have no problem barreling in live tournaments
  • RecreationalRogerRecreationalRoger Posts: 770Subscriber
    Thanks for the post Wendy. Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only poor sole out here playing bad and running mediocre. And you're right, downswings are excellent times to put our play under the microscope.

See you on the other side.
  • ImaFuckinPhoenixDudeImaFuckinPhoenixDude Posts: 1MemberTroll
    Fucking A

You've railed so much lately about how much you've learned over the last 11 years. And you just figured out barreling 6 months ago?????

Quit the game.
  • nofriends333 Posts: 884Troll
    If i go on a $500 downswing im ready to jump off a high rise building. 8K? Geez you must have loads of cash to burn