Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Would you say anything

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
This past week I was in Philadelphia for work. I played in a new 5/5 plo game at Parx and it became pretty clear that there was one older guy that was the spot at the

game. I move seats to be near him a bit farther away from what looked like the two young guns.. One of the young guns was also an action player but the other one was talking about taking a trip to reno so he can ski and play poker at the same time.

The one that wanted to ski did seem a bit aggro but nothing so far as to be completely out of line. I was just playing really tight.

Pretty much one of the very first hands we played the spot got it in with the action kid with bad Aces and double through and then had 1000 in his stack. He was a calling station and just couldnt fold to rivers..

The spot and the other aggro kid get in a big pot where I felt the kid was slowplaying a monster on the flop to trap and got pretty much 600 of the 700 that the spot had left in his stack. Spot folded what I think was a combo draw that bricked the river.. After he folded the kid says "ONE TIME" really loudly and the spot takes offence and they start having words..

spot is upset mumbling how he just lost 1000 blah blah blah and rebuys but then decides to take a walk.

Would you say something to the idiot kid? understand this game was a new game but now we are short playing only 5 handed and the spot is the big whale in the game..

ww

Comments

• AJoff Posts: 546Subscriber
    It depends on if you think the kid was actually making fun of the spot and how he handled the conversation afterwards. Kid seems like a great candidate to slow roll after you hit your draw and bet big in a polarizing situation. "One time!"
  • BananaStandBananaStand Posts: 1,455Troll
    When did "spot" become a slang term for fish? Are the two interchangeable? Or is spot the new term for 'payoff wizard' or something? In the northeast we still use 'fish' and 'donkey'

Anyway, I wouldn't say a word to this guy. I wouldn't try to slow roll him for sure. The minute you're interested in a hand for a reason other than money, you're tilting, and he wins.

Maybe he's just a rookie ignorant of etiquette. Maybe he's just a flamboyant guy celebrating a big win. Maybe needling other players is part of his strategy. It was two words, the 'spot' was tilting and found a target for his anger, that's all.

Plus, I kinda think that if you start telling the kid that the old guy is a fish, and suggesting what behaviors will keep him in the game and acting fishy.....I really don't wanna use the word 'collusion'.....but it's in that neighborhood

Besides, whatever you say will either have no effect, or only encourage him further.
  • eyehaityou Posts: 294Member
    I would and do say something every single time. Name one thing worse for a game than making a less skilled player feel bad. (maybe a terrible dealer)The ONLY two things that happen in my experience is less skilled player trys/learns to play better or quits. you end up with a competent reg or an empty seat for a reg to sit in. Some of you are lucky, I rarely sit in an Omaha game where I don't know everyone anymore.
    edited May 2016
    eyehaityou said:
    Name one thing worse for a game than making a less skilled player feel bad.
    It's certainly worse for YOUR game if you start telling the other players at the table that you're paying extra close attention to who sucks and who doesn't.

Actually, you'd probably be better off saying something to the bad player. Like "cmon guy, it was a bad beat, he's just having a good time, reload and get some payback!"
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    so let me add this. they are not unknowns to each other. through their name calling between each other there is alot of history and the kid even said something to the effect how badly spot got it in w just "bad aces". even i could here this at the other end of the table

does that change any opinions?
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    I would definitely like to say something. Kid is a dick. Whether or not it is actually profitable to say something is another story but I would definitely like too. Maybe though a slow roll in there.
  • DTMooreDTMoore Posts: 156Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm surprised to see people encouraging an intentional slowroll. I've never done so and would only consider it vs a massive dickhead waste of a life.

I'd mention the benefit, not the feature. Like (privately) "Do you want him to learn? Do you want him to leave? Then STFU and let your customer enjoy paying you. You'll fish for a lifetime." But probably not that eloquent or long winded in the moment.
    I've never done it either and am half joking about the slow roll
    stayinschool said:
    if the kid got tilted and left I would do it. lol :wink:
    Thehammah said:
    stayinschool said:
    if the kid got tilted and left I would do it. lol :wink:
    Thats why i was only half joking ;)
    edited May 2016
    I don't care how rude a guy is being, there is no way I'm getting in between to poker players arguing.

Not gonna post it here, go on youtube and look up "Poker Fight Miami"
  • PokerMentorXLIX Posts: 162Subscriber
    Wendy a lot of these players never had strict parents what they are really looking for is discipline. Who better to give it to them then someone with the nickname Hammah. Also the best way it to discipline them is in front of the whole table as it uses the power of peer influence.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    You're not a reg in the game, so keep your mouth shut.
  • Amicus Posts: 190Subscriber
    I would give him the death glare but keep my mouth shut
  • [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2016
    During.. I'd try to calm it down. While spot is taking a walk, I'd smile and say to the kid: "take it easy on the fish man, we want him to stay, right? :) " Getting into it with a spot is just such bad business.
    well i waited til the spot left for his break and asked the kid if he played poker for money. He didn't really answer other than to say something like "he deserved it" and I said "hes here to have fun, do you think he will stay if he doesn't have fun?" and he said something like "Oh he will just come back tomorrow" and I replied "maybe but hes here now so lets not give him an excuse to leave alright?"

I thought I did it in a nice way but its clear to me that this kid who I do think is a pro just is a complete idiot. As many pros have said it's your responsibility to make the donators happy or they will leave. Sure the fish might come back tomorrow but again if he is so mad by the behavior of the regs he could go to another room or quit altogether.. Either way its just stupid..

Funny I just don't see women do this or maybe its just because there arent many of us around..but I see this as clearly men getting their penis out and trying to prove whose top of the food chain. We just have to resist this.

Because the game wasn't that good after this I just left to go play OE and the game broke. Hopefully the fish left not to give the idiot kid a chance to take any more of his money.

ww
  • PokerMentorXLIX Posts: 162Subscriber
    edited May 2016
    [quote="Thehammah;78465"
    Funny I just don't see women do this or maybe its just because there arent many of us around..but I see this as clearly men getting their penis out and trying to prove whose top of the food chain. We just have to resist this.
    [/quote]

I too have never seen a woman do this. It is completely unacceptable for men to do this. Extremely disrespectful to everyone at the table. Doesn't belong in poker period. We tolerate too much it's time we take a stand!
  • eyehaityou Posts: 294Member
    No but women will record your playful but vulgar antics when you get 1/4rd by your best friend with nut/2nut vs nut/nut in 1k pot and show it to management. Turns out "eat a huge bag of d**ks" is considered obscene FYI.
  • [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2016
    I've seen women behave badly also. And get away with stuff men would never get away with, e.g. a drinking girl, repeatedly grabbing and opening other's players hands to see what they had, cursing constantly. I've never seen anyone ever do that without permission. I've also observed a situation where two or more women at the table would start obnoxious X-rated chit-chatting non-stop, ostracize male players and it would drive male fish away. I've seen female players be very rude and straight up curse out male players with no repercussions whatsoever - while vice versa would never be allowed to go without consequences. So I wouldn't assign bad behavior exclusively to men or women. It happens with both genders but usually in different "flavors".
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    i might say something like: "Do you WANT him to leave?"