Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

PLO8- River decision with Nut Low

Hero has aggressive, winning image and covers all.

SB ($1500) - loose. rarely folds pre-flop. Prone to overvaluing hands post flop by making loose calls and aggressive bets when he should be more passive.

BB ($1000) - Seems to read hands well and is Playing solid with mild aggression.

Preflop - Hero opens $20 UTG with As2d3sTd. One LP caller and blinds. It checks to the turn after a rainbow flop.

Turn ($80) Qd 8 6 3d. Hero bets $75 both blinds call.

River ($305) Qd 8 6 3d 4c. Sb leads $200 (with $1200 left) and then BB ships for $900. Hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• eyehaityou Posts: 284Member
    Ugly spot. I think I just fold to that kind of action. Bb seems to be isolating sb to protect his hand from you. Sticking 900$ in praying to get it back after we've invested only 95$ seems terrible. You probably folded and some jackass got the low with 25 or something but I think this is a pretty standard fold when chips start flying.
    by 1Dusty
  • BradleyT Posts: 621Subscriber
    Blinds check flop and turn, I discount A2. Could easily be 2-5 and 5-7 going to war.
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    This is a spot where it totally depends on my opinion of the players. If I'm new to the table I don't mind folding here, but you can be sure I'm paying very, very close attention to what the SB does after the ship, and what is shown down (if it gets shown down).

If we're assuming that the BB is competent, as you described, I would find it pretty surprising if he was shipping a naked nut low, and more likely he has a hand like A25x or A57x.

You lead the flop and turn, then a guy donks the river, and he shoves into the one guy who has shown aggression preflop, on the flop, and on the turn? Yeah, I don't think that's anything other than the hands I described, and MAYBE sometimes a hand like A244 or such.

I just think the BB's action is more likely to be "let's get stacks in so I can quarter you" than anything else. Occasionally he may have just the nut high but assuming he's competent, I doubt it. If he just has the nut high, he might be inclined to overcall in order to keep you in the pot.
  • MSK Posts: 48Subscriber
    edited June 2016
    that's a brilliant play with a 2nd low and a str8 to get nut lows and mini-flushes out, especially if BB thinks you are competent. If he has a gigantic hand, he wants you to stick around and would only bumpt it up a little bit for you to make a crying call. Also, with a gigantic hand he is not raising turn? That seems really weird unless he is a OMC fearing board pairing/low getting counterfeited. I call here because of SB who could have lead river with lower flush, non nut lows or even a straight after the turn didn't have fireworks.
  • High__Rolla Posts: 752Subscriber
    MSK said:
    that's a brilliant play with a 2nd low and a str8 to get nut lows and mini-flushes out, especially if BB thinks you are competent. If he has a gigantic hand, he wants you to stick around and would only bumpt it up a little bit for you to make a crying call. Also, with a gigantic hand he is not raising turn? That seems really weird unless he is a OMC fearing board pairing/low getting counterfeited. I call here because of SB who could have lead river with lower flush, non nut lows or even a straight after the turn didn't have fireworks.
    The BD flush draw missed. Does that change your play?
  • MSK Posts: 48Subscriber
    yes, sorry, I misread the HH for some odd reason. It does change my play and I'm folding and as previous poster said, I'm paying close attention. Still think it's a good play with a good high hand and either the nut low or 2nd nut low to get the other bare nut low out.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,725AdministratorLeadPro
    I like sir Admin's response here a lot.. I think you are getting quartered here almost always. I also dont think that people are mindlessly leading with A2 here on the turn with no high hand. BB should have A25 and or 57 a ton and sb has 25 or A2 so really you are praying that both players have 57 and 25 which seems unlikely. I fold here.
  • High__Rolla Posts: 752Subscriber
    Thanks for the replies. My read on the SB was that the 4 on the river helped him, so likely 57xx or 25xx. I just couldn't decide If the BB had a hand like A25x or another two way A2xx hand that was trying to push me out or a nutted two way hand.

Results:

Spoiler:
    Hero folds. SB calls and both have A57x.
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    So it's not shocking that this is what gets turned up. Whether this is a profitable call in this spot is questionable, and I think largely depends on the players at the table.