Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Took an odd line with JJ and face river raise

stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
edited June 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Bovada 3/6

800 eff.

MP raises to 15, hero 3 bet to 54 with JhJc. V calls.

Flop (108) 5h3h2c Hero checks, V checks.

Turn 7d Hero bets 60 and V calls.

River (228) Qc, hero bets 142 and V raises to 328.

I’ve been mixing in checking flop with some of my overpairs here for a bit of balance, not sure if I love it in this spots but think it is ok. I do think I should be checking some overpairs here but probably prefer it with a hand like AA rather than JJ.

OTR not quite sure what to do. Only need to win 21% to be able to call but it is an odd line as a bluff. Also an odd line for value too.

Tagged:

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    Checking for balance is fine in single-raised pots, but in three-bet pots people play so straightforwardly that I don't think you necessarily need to worry about "balancing your checking range", especially from out of position.

As played, what are you targeting with your river value bet? AK? 99? Your river bet seems a bit large. I'm probably either check/evaluating, or betting smaller. Once he raises, even though his line doesn't make sense, he raised a two-thirds potsize bet on the river. That screams strength, and I think you're okay folding.
  • CountRoblivionCountRoblivion Posts: 54Member
    Initially this seems like a bad spot, but I feel like AK makes up enough of his hand combos here and you can probably call.
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    Spoiler:
    I called and v had 44 :). Think this is close but the combination of most people not being able to value raise AQ and the fact that my line looks a little BS made it a call. Also hard for me to get here with too many better hands
  • Bonezy Posts: 82Subscriber
    stayinschool said:
    Bovada 3/6

800 eff.

I’ve been mixing in checking flop with some of my overpairs here for a bit of balance, not sure if I love it in this spots but think it is ok. I do think I should be checking some overpairs here but probably prefer it with a hand like AA rather than JJ.

OTR not quite sure what to do. Only need to win 21% to be able to call but it is an odd line as a bluff. Also an odd line for value too.

I like the creativity of this line. This is a weird hand Imo, villain checks the flop back, then just calls turn. Otr he raises river, it seems hard for me to believe this is a bluff. I'm not sure if villain is good enough to raise river with just a queen, so this river bet is pretty pretty polarized Imo. I'm leaning towards a fold though.
  • Bonezy Posts: 82Subscriber
    Bonezy said:
    stayinschool said:
    Bovada 3/6

800 eff.

I like the creativity of this line. This is a weird hand Imo, villain checks the flop back, then just calls turn. Otr he raises river, it seems hard for me to believe this is a bluff. I'm not sure if villain is good enough to raise river with just a queen, so this river bet is pretty pretty polarized Imo. I'm leaning towards a fold though.
    Well guess I was wrong, I guess it's true he didn't rr a queen otr, also I think it's hard for him to have a set because I think more money goes in on turn. Nice hand good example

• the_dude_abides Posts: 331Subscriber
    Why is balance a consideration when you are always an unknown on Bovada? Are you balancing just within the session so anyone else who plays with you for an extended period of time during that session can't exploit you? Just curious.
    I mean it is just good to be balanced when you don't know how your opponents are playing. Checking overpairs is just part of a good strategy here. If I never check overpairs my checks become very weak and I can't really stand 3 barrels. A lot of people's checks here are very weak and this makes it a good spot to bluff.

In terms of the actually hand I think I much prefer checking AA here than JJ but still think the idea of the play is good.
    Like you have to have some hands here that you check that you plan to call down 3 streets with.
  • StreetFighterStreetFighter Posts: 165Subscriber
    I would look to bet JJ here as your Ax 3betting range has a wheel draw + front door and back door draws. So their range with SDV is going to call lighter. I think you miss 3 streets here too often.

Also, their range with showdown value checks back here often. You're much more likely to check/give up or try to get to showdown with AJ+ on 842 and would prefer to pick that board to make this play on.