Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/3 weird spot against passive players

Bonezy Posts: 82Subscriber
edited June 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
local 1/3 game, This was a very passive table and I was playing pretty aggro at the time of this hand. Im only shown down winners and was able to run some bluffs that worked. My Vpip was probably pretty high in this game because I was raising alot of limpers in postion with a pretty wide range.

V1 younger guy, mid to late 20s, fairly passive. 250effective.
V2 old loose passive 200effective

Im in sb with K Q and I cover both Villians in this spot.
The action folds to mp2 who limps (he isnt important in this hand). V2 limps from cutt off. V1 limps the button. I raise to 25. I feel like I can get worse to call this bet and also wont get in many tough spots post flop with these passive players. Mp2 folds. Cutoff calls and so does Button.

Flop(81) 2 Q 5 I bet 45. V2 folds(co). V1 shoves all-in for 228 total. I have not seen this type of agression from him yet. This guy would def raise AQ otb so im discounting that. Also discounting AA KK for the same reasons. I feel like I can narrow this guys range down to 22,55,Q5s, and maybe QJ,KQ. Im not convinced that he will over play QJ or KQ here. My image is pretty agressive and bluffy at this point, but I also havent seen him make any agressive moves or raises at any pot yet. Been to his direct left for 2 hours so im sure he was getting sick of me raising im relentlessly.
Tagged:

Comments

• pokertime Posts: 2,180Subscriber
    I would take Q5 out of his range though it's not impossible. You almost have to put him on 22/55. He could be overplaying QJ or semi bluffing A4/A3. It's hard to say at 1/3 because the play can be all over the place. I think if you've never seen him do something like this it's just a fold. It's nuts, semi bluff or overplay and you are not really ahead of that much. Also everything is probably drawing live so you over all odds aren't great.
  • BradleyT Posts: 621Subscriber
    I'd probably station it off here and I'm a huge proponent of folding to villain strength at low limit. This just doesn't make sense.
  • pokertime Posts: 2,180Subscriber
    BradleyT said:
    I'd probably station it off here and I'm a huge proponent of folding to villain strength at low limit. This just doesn't make sense.
    I agree it doesn't make sense I'm just not sure if I want to play sheriff here. IDK. I probably fold too much overall!

• the_dude_abides Posts: 325Subscriber
    It's a tough fold since you have been playing so agressive. There can be a certain spaz factor that you are inducing with your playstyle. Did you have any sense that this guy was the type to eventually play back at you? You say you have only turned over winners and not been caught bluffing. Were any of your winner hands marginal hands that you were agressive with pre? I guess that only matters if this guy is paying attention. Is he?

• pandabird Posts: 48Subscriber
    Only one combo of Q5 suited (Qh5h) IF he calls with that. You're certain he raises AQ? I see a lot of limps with big aces from old passive players at this level. If you're certain he doesn't limp with AQ, I would be tempted to call here. Why would he shove a set here? Not many draws on this board.
  • Bonezy Posts: 82Subscriber
    pandabird said:
    Only one combo of Q5 suited (Qh5h) IF he calls with that. You're certain he raises AQ? I see a lot of limps with big aces from old passive players at this level. If you're certain he doesn't limp with AQ, I would be tempted to call here. Why would he shove a set here? Not many draws on this board.
    He was for sure the type to raise AQ in position, I've seen him open every couple orbits and it was always AJ+ so for sure I don't think AQ is in his limping range
    James2748 said:
    It's a tough fold since you have been playing so agressive. There can be a certain spaz factor that you are inducing with your playstyle. Did you have any sense that this guy was the type to eventually play back at you? You say you have only turned over winners and not been caught bluffing. Were any of your winner hands marginal hands that you were agressive with pre? I guess that only matters if this guy is paying attention. Is he?

Overall my read on him was that he seemed to be getting frustrated with my frequent raises in position when he limped, and he was the type of player to pay attention and possibly adjust but I'm not sure he knew how to adjust properly.
  • PBJTIME Posts: 336Subscriber
    Bonezy said:
    James2748 said:

Overall my read on him was that he seemed to be getting frustrated with my frequent raises in position when he limped, and he was the type of player to pay attention and possibly adjust but I'm not sure he knew how to adjust properly.
    At this level I see players play more of a "as soon as I get a monster hand I'm going to punish this agro guy" style than a "this guy is agro so I'm going to play back at him with a medium strength hand" style. I would be careful about leveling yourself into thinking that he would be making an adjustment that you might make. More often than not, they are waiting to flop a monster vs you.
    PBJTIME said:
    Bonezy said:
    James2748 said:

At this level I see players play more of a "as soon as I get a monster hand I'm going to punish this agro guy" style than a "this guy is agro so I'm going to play back at him with a medium strength hand" style. I would be careful about leveling yourself into thinking that he would be making an adjustment that you might make. More often than not, they are waiting to flop a monster vs you.
    I def agree but in this spot im not sure that folding possible, the guy is repping exactly 55 or 22, thats a a pretty narrow value range imo
  • pandabird Posts: 48Subscriber
    So what happened? You called and were good?
    pandabird said:
    So what happened? You called and were good?
    lol call/ I reload

:cool: