Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

A hand I played with AA at 2/5

Acehole Posts: 99Subscriber
2/5 500 eff stacks

Villain in the hand is mid 20s aggressive player who isnt that good. I have a bit of history with him and he plays a wide range preflop, basically anything suited, and can put the pressure on post flop and can also be a calling station.

V limps $5 UTG...2 more limpers...hero raises CO to $30 with A A..just V calls. Heads up to the flop.

FLOP ($77)
3 4 9

V checks and hero bets $35 I wanted to bet small to look like a weak c bet from AK or AQ type hands and hope to get raised by worse, sure enough V check raises to $80...hero just flats?

I like flatting in position against a LAG and letting him hang himself. Opinions?

TURN ($237)
Q

V leads for $80 with $310 behind. This is where I really think I thought the hand through well. First his check raise on the flop is almost a min raise, now he's leading turn for the same small bet. Sure his range of limp calling can be sets and 3 4 but would he really bet this small with these hands with a flush draw out there. I checked my cards and I do have the A so I could easily have any Ax and surely he would want to play for stacks with sets and 2 pair. I really think he has some sort of suited connector or gapper in diamonds so I make a pot size shove thinking he has to have a draw he can't fold.

V tank calls with 5 7 and the river bricks.

How did I do?

Tagged:

Comments

• Acehole Posts: 99Subscriber
    This hand might be standard for most players on here. I posted it because last year I wasn't thinking like this and looking for bet sizing tells. Thanks to the material on CLP and this forum I think I have really improved from a weekend rec player.
  • BananaStandBananaStand Posts: 1,455Troll
    Acehole said:
    V limps $5 UTG...2 more limpers...hero raises CO to $30 with A A..just V calls. Heads up to the flop.
    We need a full pot-sized raise here. $50-$55 please
    Acehole said:
    I wanted to bet small to look like a weak c bet from AK or AQ type hands
    Why? You said his pre-flop range is really wide. So flush draws and 56 are just tiny parts of that wide range. Why are you targeting so narrow? And why do you think he'll only call a small bet with those hands? How much of his calling range do you think you'll lose if you bet $60?
    Acehole said:
    and hope to get raised by worse, sure enough V check raises to $80...hero just flats?
    Why are you hoping to get raised by worse, and then just flatting? Do you know a lot of 2/5 fish who raise/fold when 100BB's deep? How do you know you aren't getting raised by better?
    Acehole said:
    I like flatting in position against a LAG and letting him hang himself. Opinions?
    This guy doesn't sound like a LAG. But if you think he's bluffing, then calling down is a fine strategy.
    Acehole said:
    V leads for $80 with $310 behind. ........so I make a pot size shove thinking he has to have a draw he can't fold.
    What happened to the plan to let him hang himself???
    Acehole said:
    How did I do?
    You won. But it really doesn't sound like you had a concrete plan at any point in this hand, and I think that will hurt you long term.

• stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    dude is a calling station. Just make this big pre and bomb every street
  • Dab44 Posts: 408Subscriber
    I think you played it well! Although I may bet flop bigger against a station. Small bet is ok too, since stacks are shallow & we want light peels from this guy. The flat on flop is cool in position & shove on the turn...Very nice
    by 1JKH
  • TaintBDTaintBD Posts: 244Subscriber
    I agree betting more preflop against this LAG is best when he plays a wide range. On flop I do not like betting small -- as Bart says, this kind of sizing just creates confusion. You have the best hand here most times and there are several draws out there, so bet bigger for value.
    On Turn, as played, the shove is definitely the way to go. If you wanted him to 'hang himself' you could have clicked it back to 160-175 and he would have shoved (?) his draw, but KISS -- keep it simple at 2/5 and go for max value in a game where most cannot fold.
  • Rocketman74Rocketman74 Posts: 451Subscriber
    Preflop raise should be bigger (I think $55 is too big but $40-$45 is fine.) It also depends on what's been the table norm to this point... is $45 going to look ridiculous? Some tables never see a raise over $35.

Post flop just smash away.

• JKH Posts: 831Subscriber
    I think sizing preflop and on flop is game flow and Villian dependant and I think u nailed really. Well played.