Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Raise junk on the button?

BananaStandBananaStand Posts: 1,455Troll
edited July 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
When this hand went down, it was early in the night, but it was almost like a "shift change" where all the daytime recs went home at the same time and the evening recs were just filtering in. So the place was full, but for whatever reason, we were only playing five handed.

Players are your typical mix of 1/2 loose passives and tight-passives.

One of the players in the blinds is the most action-y player at the table, but that's not saying much. He has a pretty wide pre-flop open range, often for small sizing (3x). He plays 'fit or fold' without initiative, but has a very liberal definition of "fit". Second pair is worth a peel. Gutshots+overs will pay off a street or so. Nothing reckless, but leaky for sure. He's about $450 effective with hero.

Everyone else is about $200 eff.

An unknown limps UTG.

Folds to hero on the button with A6o

Hero?

It's possible to get called by worse. Very possible. However, I feel like I'm not really a huge favorite against any reasonable range. It's also really hard to hit a flop and get called by worse. I couldn't really come up with a plan for the hand, so I just folded.

Folding an ace on the button five-handed feels really weak though.

Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• csteimle Posts: 32Subscriber
    I don't have a problem with folding. Kind of a meh spot if we get called by both players mentioned. We'd likely have to barrel two or three times to take the pot down if loose guy calls, and we have no reads on UTG if he jumps into the mix.

Raising isn't bad though as long as you're willing to barrel vs loose guy. You're right - folding an Ace on the button five handed can be considered "weak." But it's not a big deal since you're not really playing a five handed game; you're just waiting for the table to fill up. It shouldn't have any effect on game dynamics the rest of the night.
  • Beatsme Posts: 585Subscriber
    Why not limp along and take a flop ip? Especially against a spot in the bb.
  • BananaStandBananaStand Posts: 1,455Troll
    beatsme said:
    Why not limp along and take a flop ip? Especially against a spot in the bb.
    I had no plan for the hand