Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Grind Poker Podcast No.14: Improving Your Thought Process and Rob's Turning Points

Craig Posts: 745Administrator
Rob delves into a strategy discussion about constructing calling ranges, bluffs and balance, and a discussion on betting for protection.

Episode post at 11AM PT.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/improving-your-thought-process-and-robs-turning-points
Tagged:

Comments

• progress Posts: 36Subscriber
    Great podcast. More of this.
  • IAM_Redeemed Posts: 46Subscriber
    I really enjoyed this podcast as I am now studying more poker theory to play better vs good players. I play mainly on WSOP.com and realized I needed to construct my ranges better vs the stronger players. Thx for the strategy stuff.
  • Lauz Posts: 95Subscriber
    Nothjng but respect for you, but I didn't enjoy this one as much. Maybe it's because I already listen to many of the top section pods, but I love your podcasts because they're a relief from the constant 'range construction' and gto-esque talk that they (and many people these days) focus on. But then again, maybe there isn't enough 'lifestyle' stuff to be talked about, going forward.

I did only listen once and it was while driving in Manhattan traffic, so I'll give it another listen soon.

• RobFarha Posts: 191Pro
    @lauxen

Fair enough. We'll be back to normal next week.

Considering I'll be in the NYC traffic in a few days, I know how tilt inducing that is, so I blame that :)
    by 1Lauz
  • Rocketman74Rocketman74 Posts: 451Subscriber
    After the initial joke at the start I think you only said 'to be completely honest' once nice work! Enjoyed this weeks podcast some nice tidbits on strategy for a non strategy podcast.
  • TastesLikeBurning Posts: 429SubscriberProfessional
    About half way through it and this is a keeper. To be completely honest, this is very good work Rob.

:wink:
  • stayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    edited August 2016
    Really enjoyed this, we share a lot of the same thought in terms leaks live players have.

I'm going to be making a post soon having to deal with how not c betting A high effects what we do when and A comes on the turn or river. I'm curious about how we should handle this spots when the A is actually better for V's range but because people put you on AK, AQ type hands a lot we actually have a decent amount of fold equity on these cards.
  • nahcretep Posts: 108Subscriber
    Hi Rob, thank you for the great podcast, especially this one when you got in a bit of strat. I'm beginning to be able to see these spots ( hand 2 ) where I can barrel on the river as a bluff. My only confusion sometimes is how much? would you disguise the bluff bet by making it value looking? when would you bet bigger, pot size or overbet to fold out the whole range? thanks!
  • JKH Posts: 835Subscriber
    Good podcast I really enjoyed it....
    What would it take to look at or here about what your 100bb, 200bb and 300bb and deeper preflop live ranges?
    Any good reference links or information you recommend.
    Also I consider my self one of the better players in my small player pool so I think this may open my optimal preflop ranges rather than if I was playing the tougher tighter 5-10 games in Vegas
    Sorry for the late replies. I am in Connecticut on vacation so I didn't check CLP that often.
    nahcretep said:
    Hi Rob, thank you for the great podcast, especially this one when you got in a bit of strat. I'm beginning to be able to see these spots ( hand 2 ) where I can barrel on the river as a bluff. My only confusion sometimes is how much? would you disguise the bluff bet by making it value looking? when would you bet bigger, pot size or overbet to fold out the whole range? thanks!
    I would design a strategy that uses the same betsize for both value bets and bluffs. Generally it makes more sense to use bigger sizing when you are polar as opposed to spots when you have a bunch of top pairish hands that want to vbet.
    JKH said:
    Good podcast I really enjoyed it....
    What would it take to look at or here about what your 100bb, 200bb and 300bb and deeper preflop live ranges?
    Any good reference links or information you recommend.
    Also I consider my self one of the better players in my small player pool so I think this may open my optimal preflop ranges rather than if I was playing the tougher tighter 5-10 games in Vegas
    No chance :)

As I said, I'm very paranoid and giving a breakdown of my ranges is not something I'd really want to do. As you said that, just generally speaking - tougher game = tighter play.
  • PBJTIME Posts: 345Subscriber
    Excellent podcast Rob. I've already listened to it twice.
  • Doc Posts: 31Subscriber
    Great podcast. Inciteful and very well presented. Most of all, appreciate your comments regarding general poker theory and how it relates to the situations you presented. Although I find hand history discussions interesting, the construction of an overall strategy and how this strategy is applied to different situations is an overriding consideration.

Thanks for your views.

Doc
  • ZambrotAZambrotA Posts: 372Subscriber
    Def Interesting this podcast not ignoring all the other ones!!
    Keep It Up!!!
  • mythomaniac Posts: 284Subscriber
    I've got a hand that I played after listening to this podcast and considered it to be a "natural bluff." Anyone disagree with the line?

$2/5 loose passive game. V limp calls a large portion of his range. He only raises medium pps and suited broadway type hands and plays lots of Ax hands as most rec players do.

eff $700

UTG folds V in UTG 1 limps and I raise to $25 with Q-10o. HJ call and limper calls.

Flop ($80) K× 6 3×

V checks I bet $55 HJ folds and V calls. V closes the action and on this board I doubt he has many kings in his range so I'm planning on double barreling here a lot for when he is one timing me with any piece of this board or like pocket deuces.

Turn (190) A

To me, this seems like a perfect card to double barrel. I can still rep AK and now I have a gutshot to the nuts. I expect many of his one pair type hands to fold out and there aren't any wheel draws on this board for him to have spiked top pair.

V checks, I bet $140. V takes a bit more time to call here. I think that's a good sign for me to follow through on the river giving the timing of his call.

River (470) 9×

V checks, I bet $285.

Thoughts?

Who gives up and who follows through here?
    @mythomaniac

sorry for late reply -

I think in this spot, against this type of opponent, if you're actually trying to take a balanced approach to the game then this hands make a lot of sense to fire the third barrel with. Ignoring pre/flop action (not saying good/bad, just ignoring) how many more hands make sense to bet turn and bluff river.

We should have some heart combos that raised and missed a bdfd, but I think it's slightly better to bluff with a hand like QT/QJ as you are blocking his strong calling hands like AJ/AQ/KQ which is not worth nothing. When you have hearts you are blocking his hands that missed that will sometimes have a weak pair as well which will fold. I think 9hXh KhXh and 3hXh should basically always be folding.

So the question is really, "do we ever want to bluff here?" and if the answer is yes (it will sometimes be no in live poker), then I think using a hand like QT/QJ makes sense.

My opinion :)

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler