Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

PLO etiquette when a player overbets

Im often in PLO games where the dealer cant track the pot, so i help out when a player declares pot by telling them the size of the bet. But recently i got into a scenario where a pro throws two $100 chips on the river, and i declared that the bet was $170. Fish calls, pro wins. Then he tells me to stay out of other people's pots. Im not sure how to react to this. Usually my interest is just in speeding up the game, but i also dont see any reason that the pro is entitled to win more than the pot.

Then later another pro told me that if its heads-up its the player's responsibility to know the pot size, and if they dont say anything their opponents can get away with overbetting... I alwayd thought overbets were interpretted to mean pot. Wheres the line here?
Tagged:

Comments

• FreeLunch Posts: 1,308Pro
    edited August 2016
    I'm torn. To start with I never let anyone have any clue I know what the pot is. If there is someone I dont know and they are correctly helping out with pot info I assume they know what they are doing (until I find out they are dealers and then I can stop worrying they might be good at poker ;)

So I dont face this problem often. In this case on the river if they guy was willing to call $200 and did not ask what the pot was or anything I dont think its horrible to let it go but there is also nothing wrong with your goal to keep the game running properly and smoothly. If you never acted to help the game and just piped in on this occasion I would say you should have let it go but since its consistent with your goal of helping keep the game running I think anyone criticising you is out of line.

I do think its a dirtbag move to overbet pot if you are doing so because you think the dealer will let you get away with it. There is one recent case in a game I played where I wish I had spoken up. A dirtbag was angling and way overbet pot on river and the dealer was horrible and had no idea. When the other player tanked I was actualy pretty sure the dirtbag was bluffing and the other player was going to call. The other player was a much worse player and I wanted him to have the money so I shut up, but he called and lost so the cash went to the better dirtbag and I later regretted not calling him on it. Because of this recent case I probably will speak up if its a big overbet and I think its an angle.

• Dab44 Posts: 408Subscriber
    Overbets are interpreted to mean pot & you should say something if the dealer lets them bet more..It's the rules of pot limit, everyone has to play by then. I wouldn't knowingly let someone get away with this, it's just not right.
  • PBJTIME Posts: 337Subscriber
    Pro over bet = say something.
    Fish over bet = say nothing.
  • Hush45 Posts: 61Subscriber
    We have a couple of guys in our game who are math wizards and always know the pot size, even if they aren't in the hand. These guys are so good, that even the dealers rely on them sometimes. I don't see anything wrong with it. The guy who told you to stay out of his pot is a dick in my opinion.
  • firespitter Posts: 243Subscriber
    So say I am in the pot... if a player for instance throws $200 into a pot of $170 and I 1-chip call and lose, I'm not paying the guy $200... I'm paying him the pot-sized bet, and I feel like that's understood. But if no one knows what's going on and he overpays me when I win I might not say anything.

But it does make things simpler smoother and faster to clarify the bet before it's called... So I occasionally do this when I'm not in the hand, if I've been watching closely enough to know the pot. I was surprised to get flak for this kind of thing. I was told this was understood as sort of old-school etiquette. Wanted to hear where people stand
  • JKH Posts: 834Subscriber
    PBJTIME said:
    Pro over bet = say something.
    Fish over bet = say nothing.
    Agree with this... F*$k old school ediquette, poker is war, other winning players are enemy #1, always say something if it will help the fish or hurt the pro.
    With that if it's under $50 dollars in a 1-2 game I would not worry to much and if it's under $100 in a 5 5 game I would let it go.
    The guy who gave u shit I would watch him close and call it on just him with $10.00 and only when it hurts him.
  • AJoff Posts: 546Subscriber
    I don't see how you calling him out is any different from him trying to overbet. Both fall into the "gamesmanship" category for me. The rules of the game limit a bet to the amount of money in the pot. It's not like this is an unreasonable rule to enforce (as opposed to an accidental string raise or a live misclick with a big chip). You aren't obligated to keep track of the pot. If you only keep track of the pot when it benefits you, that seems fine to me.
    by 1JKH
  • WickssWickss Posts: 12Subscriber
    It depends on the rules of the room. For most of the games I have played in, an overbet means pot. But this summer in Vegas, I learned that you had to ask if the overbet was too much. If someone overbet and you called that amount, the bet stood.
  • High__Rolla Posts: 765Subscriber
    firespitter said:
    Then later another pro told me that if its heads-up its the player's responsibility to know the pot size, and if they dont say anything their opponents can get away with overbetting... I alwayd thought overbets were interpretted to mean pot. Wheres the line here?
    In the rooms I play, this is incorrect. It is the Dealer's responsibility to know the pot and correct the overbet. Sometimes I will be lazy and grab a stack of big chips to put in the middle to mean pot.

As far as correcting, I don't think you are under any obligation to do so. Again, its the dealer's job. But, once you do, he shouldn't say anything. It's pot limit and by rule, he can't bet more than the pot. You are allowed to help enforce the integrity of the game. If he gets upset, ask if he is okay with you moving all-in preflop next time you are dealt aces.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    The dealer should correct / clarify overbets , but obv most have no clue. The player facing a bet can always ask how much the bet is (what the size of the pot is) , and if the dealer doesn't know , he/she should figure it out.

However, once an "overbet" is called, the "action has been accepted" and the the bet should stand.
  • firespitter Posts: 243Subscriber
    Yesterday played a hand where i checked a boat on the river, a player throws 4 $100 chips. I snap call with one chip and win. Then he says "how much was it?" Pot was $370, so thats what he paid me. I have no problem with this as long as its consistent... Just wonder if he would have said anything if he won... I certainly would have but some players wouldnt know to do that