Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 Pair and Flush Draw

What kinds of principles should I be following for pair-draw combo decisions?

How should my relative position change my actions?
How should stack size dictate whether I am playing aggressively or passively?
Does drawing to the nuts or to the non-nuts change how I proceed?
What should I be looking at for ranges and board textures for continuing?

Here's an example I recently faced.

$5 dead money. Hero ($800) utg 9 7 raises to $25. CO ($900) calls.
Pot $55. Flop K Q 9 . Hero checks??? CO bets $40. Hero calls???
Pot $135. Turn J . Hero checks. CO bets $85. Hero folds???

Should I be checking this flop? Should I be check-raising this flop or just calling? Should I be folding the turn? Why?
Tagged:

Comments

• MrO Posts: 158Subscriber
    Bart says c/r flop as PFR is a bad play. I'd lead this flop under 1/2 PSB. You had the initiative then gave it away. The default fold pre UTG.
  • Maximilian65 Posts: 34Subscriber
    This is a 10000000% fold preflop. Why are you open raising a suited gapper UTG? As played, however, I'd be c betting here always to maintain the betting lead as this flop hits a UTG PFR range. After checking the turn, you're no longer getting odds to call to hit your flush getting 2.5 to 1 and it's a fold. I highly recommend tightening up your preflop game by studying Ki's preflop videos/charts.
  • ds2uared Posts: 207Subscriber
    edited February 18
    Maximilian65 said:
    This is a 10000000% fold preflop. Why are you open raising a suited gapper UTG?.
    Table captain. Winning image. Table dynamics. Villains play very passive preflop. Villains play very passively postflop. Board coverage. It's fun. I'm bored.

I'm not as worried about the specific hand as much as the principles that guide play in some of these spots.
  • Maximilian65 Posts: 34Subscriber
    Okay so ignoring the very loose open raise in UTG which is a massive leak and costing you money, cbet that flop (for the reasons stated above). Check raising the flop is a straight up punt, you're rarely blowing villain off of a pair plus draw hand and he's also snapping you off with 2 pairs, trips (if he somehow just platted KK or QQ) and of course a flopped straight.

When the turn comes and he continues with a 1 liner out there, check/fold it (not getting the right price to continue to catch your draw even if you're up against 2 pair). A passive post flop player is never betting for 2 streets on a board like that as a bluff with total air. You're blocking 910 but he can have all the other 10X hands like K10, Q10, J10, A10. Definitely not seeing any bluffs in this spot. You need over 5 to 1 to make this call profitably (18% equity vs. any 10x) and you're getting 2.6 to 1.
  • ds2uared Posts: 207Subscriber
    Hero raises utg1 to $25. with 8 7 . CO calls. Flop comes 8 J Q .

Has anything changed on this hand from the last? If so, what?
  • hustlin Posts: 272Subscriber
    Bet flop.
    C/c or c/f turn.

U could even triple barrel this hand on favourable run outs as a bluff