Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

ADVICE on moving up

SUYAPASUYAPA Posts: 69Subscriber
Not sure where to post this...

Im playing for a living for 1 year. I started building my br playing 1/2 and kinda moved up to 1/3 (uncaped) end of 2018. I feel pretty comfortable at 1/3 and like it because of the bigger stacks and bigger pots. Now i only play 1/2 when 1/3 isnt running which happens a few times a week. For a few months now there is a bigger game running. It is 2/7 (uncapped) and there is a few times per week at least 1 table running. Sometimes they look really juicy but im a bit scared to play it.

My poker br is 23k € but im a bit of a br nit. Last month i had a ~12k score in a mtt but had to give 4k to friends because of swapping and in the last 2 weeks of april i lost 3k-3,5k playing mtts and cg.
Not sure if im ready to take a shot at 2/7 and not sure if my br is big enough. Maybe im more scared than i should be because of the ~3k loss. Or maybe im not ready to move up yet and to have bigger swings.

What do you guys think?

Any advice would be great and really appreciated

Comments

• JoneseyJonesey Posts: 109Subscriber
    edited May 3
    How do you pay bills? Do you have a job that could re-fill your br if you lost it? Does playing 1-3 give you enough income to support yourself?
  • StreetFighterStreetFighter Posts: 165Subscriber
    I'd still be playing on a stop loss at 1/3 with poker as sole income on 23k.
  • SUYAPASUYAPA Posts: 69Subscriber
    StreetFighter said:
    I'd still be playing on a stop loss at 1/3 with poker as sole income on 23k.
    So you mean i should keep playing 1/3 and wait with taking shots?
    Jonesey said:
    How do you pay bills? Do you have a job that could re-fill your br if you lost it? Does playing 1-3 give you enough income to support yourself?
    1. playing poker
    2. no
    3. yes

did you fully read my post?
  • JoneseyJonesey Posts: 109Subscriber
    edited May 4
    Yes
  • StreetFighterStreetFighter Posts: 165Subscriber
    With poker as your sole source of income, squirrel away 6 months living expenses and then see how your bankroll looks. When I played as a sole source of income, the game got a whole lot less stressful with 3 months of living expenses in the bank and 100+ buy ins in the roll.

I do wish I took more shots more often, especially in good live games. Still, I wouldn't really consider it without those living expenses tucked away
  • BartBart Posts: 5,926AdministratorLeadPro
    If you don't have a job and going broke means that you have to stop playing then you have to be extra careful with your bankroll. If you have a way to replenish (like can easily pick up a job) then you can be more aggressive. That being said I would like to know the rake structure in the games you are playing. You are indicating that you are playing in Euros and I have hear that in some European rooms the rake is MASSIVE. You might be playing in a game that is only profitable for a few BBs an hour long term, the lower stakes that you play. Bart
    Bart said:
    If you don't have a job and going broke means that you have to stop playing then you have to be extra careful with your bankroll. If you have a way to replenish (like can easily pick up a job) then you can be more aggressive. That being said I would like to know the rake structure in the games you are playing. You are indicating that you are playing in Euros and I have hear that in some European rooms the rake is MASSIVE. You might be playing in a game that is only profitable for a few BBs an hour long term, the lower stakes that you play. Bart
    Going broke means that i have to stop playing which stresses me when thinking about it. Fear of failure. I think that is why im a bit of a bankroll nit. I think i could easily get a job if i go broke but i just dont want to fail playing poker.
    The rake structure is:

16-31=1€
    31-71=3€
    71-101=4€
    101-151=5€
    151-201=6€
    201-301=7€
    301-601=10€
    601-901=15€
    901-1200=20€
    1200+=25€

and 1 additional euro per hand for jackpot

From mid april 2018 to mid april 2019 i played 953,5 hours CG (1/2, 1/3 and 1/2 uncapped) and won 27,5€/h. Not sure if this is sustainable. The CG hourly dropped down to 24€ in the last 2,5 weeks because of losing 2,4k. Also lost 1k playing mtts. So im on a ~3,5k downswing at the moment. Maybe i should recover the losses first before thinking about moving up. What do you think?
  • maphacks Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    This sounds like austria.

I would instantly stop playing live poker and start to learn the game and play online with such a rakestructure.

I don't know your skill level but I guess you ran really hot. I personally play live up to 10k and online up to 5k and I don't think I could beat the local 1-2 game for more than a few bucks per hour if I am very disciplined.

Just my 2cents
  • maphacks Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    Build a bankroll online and travel for live poker if you really like it. That's the way I do it.